Photo

NASA is now accepting applications for moon mining

usa lunar cargo transportation space agreement act crowdsourcing outer space treaty

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#16 FlintyV

FlintyV

Neowinian Senior

• 2,377 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:45

1) the US and other major space nations never signed on to the Moon Treaty. Very few have.**

2) dup thread: http://www.neowin.ne...ander-proposal/

** Australia, Austria, Belgium, Chile, Kazakhstan, Lebanon, Mexico, Morocco, Netherlands, Pakistan, Peru, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and Uruguay are parties to the treaty, 7 of which ratified and the rest acceded. France, Guatemala, India and Romania have signed but not ratified.

UN treaties still prevents anyone from laying claim to it.  

I can't see this happening without some form of robust legal framework being established for it and can't imagine it'll be accepted by other governments as a free-for-all. 

Edit: I see the US didn't sign a subset of the Outer Space Treaty because it was deemed anti-business lol. 

#17 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,418 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:17

but how many % of moon mass that need to mined before it has noticeable gravity change that will affect earth eventually?

A lot.

#18 RichardK

RichardK

Neowinian

• 511 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:24

We need to leave the moon alone.  We are doing just fine ruining our own planet, no need to do the same on the moon.  If we are really to the point that we need to look elsewhere for certain minerals, then we need to take a look at our own practices and change them.  We aren't talking about anything that is needed to sustain life, this would just be companies trying to make even more money.  I am sick and tired of seeing things ruined for the sake of some company making even more money.

#19 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• 3,909 posts
  • Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:43

According to the 1967 Outer Space Treaty of the United Nations, countries are prohibited from laying claim to the moon. The possibility of lunar mining and the emergence of private space companies has triggered a debate over lunar property rights, however.

more

This! If nasa thinks they own the rights to mine the moon then i have no more respect for them. 

#20 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,790 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 08:11

Strictly speaking the space treaties only limit the claims and activities of governments, not commercial interests. There have been calls to set up some kind of regulatory structure where exclusive use zones could be established and monitored, but it's still early. Robert Bigelow of Bigelow Aerospace (expandable habitats and lunar bases, robotic space tugs etc.) is one of the major voices.

One suggestion is something along the lines of the 1959 Antarctic Treaty System but with commercial clauses.

#21 OP Hum

Hum

totally wAcKed

• 62,887 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 21:20

That and there's no real environment to speak of on the moon, and polluting/destroying it won't affect humans.

Think of the Aliens ...

#22 Thrackerzod

Thrackerzod

Neowinian Senior

• 2,906 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 21:22

mooninites.jpg

"Dear NASA, I hope you can see this because I'm doing it as hard as I can."

#23 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• 3,758 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 21:33

Yeah if you go to the linked article and read the comments you will see all the environmentalist talking crap.

Most Environmentalist are so far gone they would rather there be no people because then we cant affect the environment.

No need to visit the article. We have them here as well. :rolleyes:

#24 Lamp0

Lamp0

Neowinian Senior

• 2,720 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 21:57

I don't know if I trust NASA anymore, what with the whole Armstrong doping scandal & then the Prism thing.

#25 arachnoid

arachnoid

Copyright Withheld

• 3,758 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 22:42

A two ways ticket according to Google seems to be around $100 Million and Diamonds are around $55,000/gram ergo the return payload would have to be around  2KG of pure diamond just to pay for the journey.

#26 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 17,790 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 00:02

The point is to mine matetials on the moon for use in space, which is far more efficient than launching supplies and raw materials from Earth. This makes moonbase logistics much simpler.

Look up ISRU (in-situ resource utilization.)

Examples:

iron and other metals and minerals, which can be used for building, creating electronics or 3D printing (additive manufacturing - soon to be tested on ISS.)

water ice in lunar pole craters (consumption, or breaking into O2 and H2 - aka rocket fuel).

Helium 3 - a potential fuel for fusion rockets, which are easier to build than fusion power reactors. Also a good fusion power reactor fuel once that's viable.

etc.

#27 Krome

Krome

Neowinian God!

• 4,243 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:30

The moon's orbit affect earth's ocean tides.  So yes the moon's environment do effect earth environment.  For millions of years, after the moon collided with earth, everything has been balanced to the point that earth evolution depends on it.  The mass and size of the moon determines the gravitation affect each of the two world needs from each other to be in a certain distance.  I would hate to see that human's poor decision lead the moon to collide with earth for the second time.

#28 IsItPluggedIn

IsItPluggedIn

Neowinian

• 896 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:43

The moon's orbit affect earth's ocean tides.  So yes the moon's environment do effect earth environment.  For millions of years, after the moon collided with earth, everything has been balanced to the point that earth evolution depends on it.  The mass and size of the moon determines the gravitation affect each of the two world needs from each other to be in a certain distance.  I would hate to see that human's poor decision lead the moon to collide with earth for the second time.

Lol, if the moon is Mined and its mass decreased then the moon will be less likely to collide with earth.

The moon has a circumference of 10 921 km. Which is more than double the width of the USA. Do you really think they will be able to Mine enough of the moon to effect it? 

In 1 millions of years, the moon has moved 38km away from earth.

#29 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,418 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:17

That's not the environment, it's the geography (The environment would be stuff like soil and atmosphere, both of which the moon doesn't have)

Anyway, the moon is moving away from us slowly so unless we decide to alter the orbit we will lose it eventually, but maybe that's a good thing since it's slowing us down.

#30 Caleo

Caleo

Neowinian Senior

• 1,831 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:29

This! If nasa thinks they own the rights to mine the moon then i have no more respect for them. 

Did you even read anything besides the title? NASA is seeking private companies to co-op with, not saying "Oh, you can't do this unless I approve!"

We need to leave the moon alone.  We are doing just fine ruining our own planet, no need to do the same on the moon.  If we are really to the point that we need to look elsewhere for certain minerals, then we need to take a look at our own practices and change them.  We aren't talking about anything that is needed to sustain life, this would just be companies trying to make even more money.  I am sick and tired of seeing things ruined for the sake of some company making even more money.

It's not exactly like there's anything to truly 'ruin' on the moon. It's a lifeless, barren wasteland. Also, see this:

The point is to mine matetials on the moon for use in space, which is far more efficient than launching supplies and raw materials from Earth. This makes moonbase logistics much simpler.

Look up ISRU (in-situ resource utilization.)

Examples:

iron and other metals and minerals, which can be used for building, creating electronics or 3D printing (additive manufacturing - soon to be tested on ISS.)

water ice in lunar pole craters (consumption, or breaking into O2 and H2 - aka rocket fuel).

Helium 3 - a potential fuel for fusion rockets, which are easier to build than fusion power reactors. Also a good fusion power reactor fuel once that's viable.

etc.

Oi. Seriously? Add up all the ore we have mined throughout the history of humanity, multiply it by 100,000 and you still won't be anywhere near how much mass it would take to influence the moon's orbit. The moon is huge.