Photo

NASA is now accepting applications for moon mining

usa lunar cargo transportation space agreement act crowdsourcing outer space treaty

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#31 shadowgmo

shadowgmo

Neowinian

• 120 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 4

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:02

broken_moon_by_zacky7avenged-d4rjs5h.jpg

This will be our moon...

#32 The_Observer

The_Observer

Apples, Bananas, Rhinoceros!

• 3,857 posts
  • Phone: iPhone5s

Posted 11 February 2014 - 19:52

Did you even read anything besides the title? NASA is seeking private companies to co-op with, not saying "Oh, you can't do this unless I approve!"

Yes i did read this, tell who give nasa the right to decide what company gets to mine on the moon. Still sounds like america trying to control everything!

#33 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 16,959 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 20:32

That's not really how these COTS programs work. Operating under Space Act Agreements each companies progress is milestone based (mostly set by the company itself) as far as any NASA funding goes, but they can continue without funded milestones. It's all a matter of technical progress and how much skin they're able to put in the game.

#34 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• 19,305 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 00:04

Yes i did read this, tell who give nasa the right to decide what company gets to mine on the moon. Still sounds like america trying to control everything!

Because they're the ones with the launch capabilities.

#35 The_Observer

The_Observer

• 3,857 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 00:27

Russia? China? UK?

#36 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 16,959 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 00:29

Them, the nations ^^ and SpaceX, who will take over NASA's big Saturn V/Shuttle pad 39A within weeks, and open a new private commercial spaceport near Brownsville Texas.

Brownsville is also the likely location of a new factory to build their coming super-heavy launcher. Engine component tests for it start early this year.

#37 Edrick Smith

Edrick Smith

Neowinian Senior

• 3,194 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 00:48

I don't know if I trust NASA anymore, what with the whole Armstrong doping scandal & then the Prism thing.

Ummmm are you trying to be a troll or just naive? It was Lance Armstrong who was doping. Not Niel Armstrong 

Where is the nearest brick wall I can smash my head into if you were serious. 

#38 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 16,959 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 00:55

^ what Edrick said.

#39 Anonymous persona

Anonymous persona

King

• 54 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:14

Ummmm are you trying to be a troll or just naive? It was Lance Armstrong who was doping. Not Niel Armstrong 

Where is the nearest brick wall I can smash my head into if you were serious. 

lol I was thinking the exact same thing ...  +1

#40 IsItPluggedIn

IsItPluggedIn

Neowinian

• 882 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:14

No. Wrong. This is not about the right to mine, its about who NASA will help. Any company with the capabilities can still mine the moon if they want to, but they will not have access to NASA's resources, ie knowledge and test facilities.

NASA is not stopping anybody they are just trying to find companies which they will help.

Does that clear things up?

#41 The_Observer

The_Observer

• 3,857 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:11

No. Wrong. This is not about the right to mine, its about who NASA will help. Any company with the capabilities can still mine the moon if they want to, but they will not have access to NASA's resources, ie knowledge and test facilities.

NASA is not stopping anybody they are just trying to find companies which they will help.

Does that clear things up?

So your saying that Nasa is saying "Hey guys who going to mine the moon and if so do you want our help. Btw it will cost you"

#42 IsItPluggedIn

IsItPluggedIn

Neowinian

• 882 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:35

Pretty much, thats how these programs work. NASA don't have the funds to do this sort of work themselves so instead of not doing it, they farm our the expertise to the private business and get them to do it instead. This way NASA get what they want done without having to pay for it themselves. Which is what they have been doing with the private launcher business. 

Many of the private business will likely spend the money so they might get a piece of the pie later down the track.

#43 DocM

DocM

Neowinian Senior

• 16,959 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 18:11

And given the history of NASA major systems development since the 1970's it's better to let real innovators do it anyhow.

Over budget, overly complex, then after sinking $billions and years 90% of projects get cancelled. They wouldn't know KISS if it ran them down.

The SAA's give the commercial outfits acess to the NASA centers for testing and legacy knowledge but they do the dev in an entirely different, and more economical, way. Then NASA can then use the results in a fee for service manner.

#44 xrobwx

xrobwx

Neowinian

• 755 posts
  • Phone: Galaxy Note II

Posted 12 February 2014 - 18:29

Yeah if you go to the linked article and read the comments you will see all the environmentalist talking crap.

Most Environmentalist are so far gone they would rather there be no people because then we cant affect the environment.

They'll need to get rid of any animals that generate flatulence as well. Oh yeah and volcanoes, geysers, pretty much anything that adds CO2 or CH4 to the atmosphere since these are the evil molecules. CO2-CH4---->  :shiftyninja:

:laugh:

#45 Raze

Raze

Mentally Compromised

• 4,137 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 19:57

I submitted my application.  Got my hardhat (with headlamp), my steel toed boots, my pick axe, sun visor, long underwear, overalls and re-breather.  I just need to find a good mule.  Anyone know where I can buy one?