NASA is now accepting applications for moon mining

Russia -yes

China -yes

Uk - you're having a laugh.

UK a definite yes with Reaction Engines Ltd.

http://www.reactionengines.co.uk

Their SABRE dual mode (one mode air breathing, the other stored LOX) rocket engine and Skylon single stage to orbit spaceplane is getting funding from the UK and European Space Agency.

The key technology, a high performance air precooler, was proven last year.

They also have a brand new co-development agreement with the US Air Force Research Laboratory's Aerospace Systems Directorate.

Skylon-Sabre-technology.jpg

UK a definite yes with Reaction Engines Ltd.

http://www.reactionengines.co.uk

Their SABRE dual mode (one mode air breathing, the other stored LOX) rocket engine and Skylon single stage to orbit spaceplane is getting funding from the UK and European Space Agency.

The key technology, a high performance air precooler, was proven last year.

They also have a brand new co-development agreement with the US Air Force Research Laboratory's Aerospace Systems Directorate.

Skylon-Sabre-technology.jpg

In theory, yes.

But nothing that has been used as of yet.

Their timeline is for a ground engine test that if successful ESA has said would be "a critical milestone in the development of this program and a major breakthrough in propulsion worldwide."

That testbed is under construction with funding from the UK, and if it is successful more money will flow from multiple sources.

This has the potential to be every bit as revolutionary as Frank Whittle's turbojet engine, so saying the UK has no major space development is very shortsighted..

Their timeline is for a ground engine test that if successful ESA has said would be "a critical milestone in the development of this program and a major breakthrough in propulsion worldwide."

That testbed is under construction with funding from the UK, and if it is successful more money will flow from multiple sources.

This has the potential to be every bit as revolutionary as Frank Whittle's turbojet engine, so saying the UK has no major space development is very shortsighted..

I'm not saying there is no space development in the UK, just that the government puts next to nothing in, and very few others put anything in.

I wish we did put more in.

If Nasa are letting others go mine on the moon then there clearly can't be anything worth mining on the moon or the US Government would have it to themselves

They're not "letting" others go; they couldn't stop anyone if they tried. They're offering technical assistance to people who want to go and mine.

• Like 1

And the US don't "own" the moon, they can't just claim it and take everything for themselves.

There are alot of things the US government don't own, that doesn't seem to stop them :D

I love it when uneducated people demonstrate that fact to the world.

So, educate me - what are the UK's launch capabilities?

Rockets are not the only measure of a nations space program as they are now a commodity for most purposes.

The UK is a member of ESA, has flown astronauts to the ISS, is the home of Surrey Satellite Technology Ltd. (SSTL - a satellite builder) and is also the base of Virgin Galactic - part of the Virgin Group. Tests and development in the US southwestern desert, but a British owned company.

Virgin Galactic's SpaceShipTwo will fly payloads for NASA and other nations & universities, and its White Knight mothership will also carry LauncherOne, an orbital launcher. Both of its Newton liquid fueled engines are deep in development and have done test burns, NewtonOne a full mission burn. Quite impressive, and an even larger NewtonThree engine is in the pipeline.

Goal: an intercontinental suborbital transport, and orbital capability.

Then there is Skylon, which is a hot topic in aerospace circles because of the SABRE engine.