AC66U / Routers in General

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 MillionVoltss

MillionVoltss

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 10 February 2014 - 13:25

Why do AC66U and other routers mess up with I turn them / modem on and there are devices for that network with there Wifi Already on. So if i switch the AC66U and then the devices all is fine.

#2 farmeunit

farmeunit

The other white meat.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 10 February 2014 - 13:42

Are you saying that you have other routers on the network?  Or the modem has built-in router?  If that's the case, they could be using similar channels or causing interference.

If your settings aren't correct as far as the routing, then when it's turned on and devices connect, it won't work.  Then when turned off, they'll connect to devices that do work.

#3 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 96
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 10 February 2014 - 13:52

Why would you have multiple routers in your network?  Are you using them as accesspoints, and forgot to turn off their dhcp servers?  You should only have 1 dhcp server on your network.. More than that your going to have a bad time ;)

#4 BoDEAN

BoDEAN

REDHead

• Phone: Iphone

Posted 10 February 2014 - 14:09

I run AC66U router, with Merlins latest FW, and do not have this issue.  As BudMan asked, why do you have multiple routers?  Should only have 1 router, and if you need an access point, then that would be ok.

Need a bit more info to help ya

#5 OP MillionVoltss

MillionVoltss

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 February 2014 - 14:30

Nope i only have one, Its a problem my last router had also, I thought it wouldn't be an issue on the new one.  My fix is to have the Wifi toggled off on all devices before booting my router, Id just like to know why it happens and if i can prevent it.

#6 ViperAFK

ViperAFK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 10 February 2014 - 14:41

Nope i only have one, Its a problem my last router had also, I thought it wouldn't be an issue on the new one.  My fix is to have the Wifi toggled off on all devices before booting my router, Id just like to know why it happens and if i can prevent it.

I've never seen anything like that happen with any router's I've had. How exactly does it 'mess up'?

#7 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 February 2014 - 14:55

Are you running some sort of WDS?  What your saying makes no sense - should not matter what order you boot up wireless AP.

Your going to have to give some more details of your setup and what exactly happens, because not making any sense of it as of yet.

#8 OP MillionVoltss

MillionVoltss

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 February 2014 - 21:56

Sorry was out

I turn on Modem / Router... Wait a Few mins..., Switch Pc mains On and start comp.....Wait for Windows to load... Click Firefox, Firefox loads, I click Neowin Tab and i get a Box on screen for the router Username and password, I click ok and im taken to Router home page Which shows 4 clients ( 2 phones, 3DS and my PC on Lan ) ...... No matter what i do i cant load any web pages on any devices, I just get the router login screen.

So, i Switch my PC and modem / Router off, Turn WiFi off on the Phones / 3DS and wait for a few mins before... Switching on Modem / Router....Wait....Switch on PC.. All fine this time, web pages load....

I appreciate the help, but its more a query and wasn't sure if it was due to a DHCP issue that confused the modem.

#9 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 10 February 2014 - 22:33

dude I have never seen such a thing..  No its not normal - I have dealt with prob thousands of different wireless routers over the years, and I can say I have never see such a thing.

Is it possible your router is not getting wan IP (internet) from your modem.  What is the make and model of your modem.?  Why are you rebooting your modem?

When this happens what does your routers status show for its internet IP.. Where does your router point to for dns?

When it happens again and you can only get the routers login page, can you from a cmd line on your computer do a simple ping to say www.google.com

budman@ubuntu:~$ ping www.google.com
PING www.google.com (74.125.193.104) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from ig-in-f104.1e100.net (74.125.193.104): icmp_seq=1 ttl=47 time=25.3 ms
64 bytes from ig-in-f104.1e100.net (74.125.193.104): icmp_seq=2 ttl=47 time=25.6 ms

What IP does it resolve too.. Does it just resolve your routers IP? Or actual google public IP.  Also on your router have you setup any sort of port forwarding, or captive portal?

#10 OP MillionVoltss

MillionVoltss

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 February 2014 - 13:32

Wow this is all rather complicated.

Next time it happens i will try pinging, I thought it might of been a simple answer. 

As the house hold only uses the internet in afternoon/  evening, we switch off at mains most devices for power saving reasons, Also the modem / router lights are annoying when trying to sleep.

#11 BrainDedd

BrainDedd

Neowinian

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy S III

Posted 11 February 2014 - 13:40

The router should have a "stealth mode" that turns off the lights.

#12 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 February 2014 - 13:43

So what part of the world are you in?  A modem and router use like 5 watts each..  Lets say elec cost .10 a kwh -- if off for 16 hours a day your saving 2 cents?  I find it odd that someone that can afford a AC66U router is worried about saving say 60 cents a month?

So lets ask again, what is the model number of the "modem" in front of this router?  And why is looking at a web page of your routers status, and trying to ping an address complicated?  I can give you examples if needed.

#13 OP MillionVoltss

MillionVoltss

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 February 2014 - 14:35

Virgin Media Superhub is my Modem ( Set To Modem Only Mode )

Reply from 173.194.41.177 = Google.

No port forwarding or captive portal ( Had to Google this ) setup.

#14 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 February 2014 - 14:47

So your saying its doing it again..  When you access any website in a browser all you get is the router gui..??

And google replies to ping?  Pinging google when internet works is a given.  Need to validate if it resolves when your saying all you get is router web gui.

#15 OP MillionVoltss

MillionVoltss

Neowinian Senior

Posted 11 February 2014 - 15:38

Nope alls been fine since. Lets leave this for now unless it happens again.