Original Dungeon Keeper Creator Calls New Mobile Game 'Ridiculous'

Peter Molyneux, creator of the original 1997 strategy game hit Dungeon Keeper, recently described EA's free-to-play mobile reboot as "ridiculous" in an interview with the BBC.

Since its release on iOS and Android versions, the new Dungeon Keeper has managed to raise the ire of fans and critics alike for forcing players to choose between spending significant periods of time farming resources, or to pay lots of real-world real money to buy items that allow them to skip those requirements.

Speaking to the BBC, Molyneux said the Mythic Entertainment developed game does not capture the spirit of the original game for fans or make it understandable and appealing for new mobile players.

"I felt myself turning round saying, 'What? This is ridiculous. I just want to make a dungeon. I don't want to schedule it on my alarm clock for six days to come back for a block to be chipped,'" he said.

"I don't think they got it quite right, the balance between keeping it familiar to the fans that were out there but fresh enough and understandable enough for this much bigger mobile audience."

The game has also come under fire for gaming the ratings system by not allowing those who want to rate the game under four stars to do so without first sending EA feedback via an email.

EA defended the practice by saying the feature was designed to help them collect "valuable feedback from players."

"We wanted to make it easier for more players to send us feedback directly from the game if they weren't having the best experience," an EA spokesperson said. "Players can always continue to leave any rating they want on the Google Play Store."

Source: CVG

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26033685

66852-evilarts.jpg

Did they honestly expect anything else with EA? I'm honestly surprised there aren't amazingly overpowered guns available in BF4 that you have to pay for.

"I don't think they got it quite right, the balance between keeping it familiar to the fans that were out there but fresh enough and understandable enough for this much bigger mobile audience."

What they "didn't get right" has nothing to do with that.

Has there been any comment from EA about the game yet?

Yes.

Basically something like "there's nothing wrong with it, people are just overly protective of a classic game and our data shows that there's a lot of people playing it".

They all seem to pretend that people are having issues with the changes in the game mechanics instead of the ridiculous waiting times when breaking rocks that try to force you to buy gems.

Yes.

Basically something like "there's nothing wrong with it, people are just overly protective of a classic game and our data shows that there's a lot of people playing it".

They all seem to pretend that people are having issues with the changes in the game mechanics instead of the ridiculous waiting times when breaking rocks that try to force you to buy gems.

They're going a great job of hiding the facts, particularly with making it difficult to give it less than 5 stars.  They really need to be called out on it by Google in this case.

It truly is a slap in the face to fans of the original games.

The real question is, are people buying the game?

Ultimately, if enough want this type of game and will pay for it, nothing we say or do will change EA's behavior. 

It truly is a slap in the face to fans of the original games.

The real question is, are people buying the game?

Ultimately, if enough want this type of game and will pay for it, nothing we say or do will change EA's behavior. 

I think it's free to play with major overpriced in game purchases required to do anything (then on top of that, it sucks compared to the original)

Also, EA took the p*ss when they decided to try to force people to either give a 5* review or just send them an email for anything less.

It's not a sequel to the old dungeon keeper, it's a mobile Dungeon Keeper and it follows the same formula as other city/world/park building games.  It's not a game intended to play in long sittings anyway, it's a mobile game. 

If a real proper PC/console version followed the same formula, then they could complain, but a free mobile game....

I think it's free to play with major overpriced in game purchases required to do anything (then on top of that, it sucks compared to the original)

Also, EA took the p*ss when they decided to try to force people to either give a 5* review or just send them an email for anything less.

At least it'lll stop most of the anti EA trolls who gives 1 star ratings just because it's EA, as they don't want to put in the work to send a mail for their troll rating, ratings tiday are useles anyway as half the ratings are troll ratings. 

At least it'lll stop most of the anti EA trolls who gives 1 star ratings just because it's EA, as they don't want to put in the work to send a mail for their troll rating, ratings tiday are useles anyway as half the ratings are troll ratings.

If trolls wanted to rate the game with one star they wouldn't have to send any email, you can vote whatever you want straight through the store.

The "rate five stars or else tell us why" is only when you are suggested to rate the game from inside the app (and you could still say you'll be rating 5 and then rate 1 when you are taken to the store for the actual effective rating, if again the intention was just trolling).

Peter Molyneux

EA

These phrases have become offensive gaming curse words. lol

You can't drop them without prompting despising comments.

And Molyneux will say whatever needs to be said in order to draw attention. He has lost all credibility in my eyes.

Peter (or whomever own DK before) should've sold the IP right to Nintendo instead of EA ...

EA bought Bullfrog, not the rights to the individual game. In their early years they were primarily a PC developer, Nintendo wouldn't have been interested. DK 1 and 2 never even had console releases IIRC, and EA bought them over 2 years after DK1 released.

Peter (or whomever own DK before) should've sold the IP right to Nintendo instead of EA ...

Ninty lets its own IPs sit on the shelf collecting dust, they should start jump-starting some of those before acquiring other ones.