Photo

Free To Wait

jimquisition the escapist free to wait the simpsons: tapped out farmville dungeon keeper free 2 play loadout

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• 24,914 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 21:42

NSFW language

This video hits the spot with exactly what's wrong with "F2P", coined by Jim as the Free to Wait model

#2 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• 7,974 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 10 February 2014 - 21:54

Agree with the message but couldn't sit through the whole thing.  Jeez, that guy is annoying...

#3 McKay

McKay

Neowinian Stallion

• 5,997 posts
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 10 February 2014 - 22:21

Sadly I agree with him. It's a sorry state, but people vote with their wallet and F2P games almost always make up the top 10 in app stores.

#4 Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

• 36,015 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 23:40

Great video, tell it how it is Jim.

Was going to post this, good minds think alike Andy  :shiftyninja:

#5 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,824 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 23:50

I don't agree with him.

The most pathetic is to sell a bugged game with terrible UI and obvious options missing like triple buffering or FoV at the full price of 60$ like Bethesda does. That is pathetic.

The AAA video game industry is so sick these days that I don't buy games at full price anymore. Some companies are even on my "do not ever buy again" blacklist. I wait 2 or 3 years to buy them at 5 or 10$. This way all the bugs are patched by either the company or the community (often the community) and if it is still unplayable like Dirt 3 is (keep crashing for me) then I just wasted 5$ so it's not a big deal.

I think it's pathetic to complain about free games when big publishers release unplayable crap at 60$.

#6 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 7,995 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 11 February 2014 - 00:00

I don't agree with him.

The most pathetic is to sell a bugged game with terrible UI and obvious options missing like triple buffering or FoV at the full price of 60$ like Bethesda does. That is pathetic.

The AAA video game industry is so sick these days that I don't buy games at full price anymore. Some companies are even on my "do not ever buy again" blacklist. I wait 2 or 3 years to buy them at 5 or 10$. This way all the bugs are patched by either the company or the community (often the community) and if it is still unplayable like Dirt 3 is (keep crashing for me) then I just wasted 5$ so it's not a big deal.

I think it's pathetic to complain about free games when big publishers release unplayable crap at 60$.

The problem.. is when AAA publishers release games for 60$ each, then offer DAY 1.. DAY ######ING ONE DLC for an extra 20-40$.. Content that is READY to be released with the original game.. but instead of including it.. they make you ######ing pay extra for it.

#7 wakjak

wakjak

Neowinian

• 211 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 00:05

I don't agree with him.

But I don't think you understand... These mobile apps, people are spending hundreds of dollars... for pay to win..

#8 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• 5,824 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 00:28

But I don't think you understand... These mobile apps, people are spending hundreds of dollars... for pay to win..

Then they just have to not pay for them. It's not like they have to pay to try the game. The game is free. You download it. You try the basic game and if you like it you buy things for it. I don't see the problem.

With 60$ AAA games this is different. These days most of them don't have a demo. And if they have a demo often it is released 2-3 weeks after the game is out. All important reviewers (paid advocate cause this is what they are these days) give those game 8+ best game ev4r. Everytime a CoD game gets 8 these days i'm like astonished. I can't believe Ghost was able to score so high on metacritic. 78 you got to be kidding me. Almost 8. When is the last time you saw a tipple A game getting in the low 6? This is weird cause I can tell you lot of them don't deserve more than the average score which should be 6 or at the very best 7. It is simply not happening anymore. There is a problem when the average is 8.5. Meanwhile really good indie games like Valdis Story don't even get reviewed at all ... I paid something like 4$ for Valdis Story. 15 times less than a triple A game. Triple A games are not 15 times better than Valdis Story not even close in fact lot of them are not better at all.

Anyway This is my opinion I know lot of people don't agree with me but I think triple A games are more a problem these days than free to play pay to win. At leats I can try free to play games before spending any amount of money on them. And reviewers don't give them 9 b3st g4m3 ev4r omg omg omg GOTY GOTY best ev4r buy it buy it buy it.

I got burned so often by stupid reviewers thinking a triple A game would be awesome cause it averaged close to 9 on metacritic. Buying it at full price without trying it cause there was no demo available just to find that the game was crippled with bugs and terrible UI.

#9 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,718 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 00:48

This guy is a moron. F2P is a fine business model. The people that abuse them though..... well......

F2P, to me, is quite nice; if you're not an idiot.

If you notice that the F2P you're playing isn't really a game but a cash grab, just stop playing. If you have a problem noticing when this is true or your too far in to quit now then you're an idiot. If at any point you purchase goods to accelerate progress, you're an idiot. If you actually find yourself enjoying it (looking at you "Clumsy Ninja"), then maybe kick some money the way of the Devs (Until Zynga buy it out, that is).

Don't forget the point of a game is the journey. Have you ever been the best in an MMO (or at least, really damn good), it gets boring. The point isn't the be the best, it's to become the best.

Anyways, in short, the problem with F2P games is: people (and the people that complain about F2P games).

#10 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,268 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:34

This guy is a moron. F2P is a fine business model. The people that abuse them though..... well......

F2P, to me, is quite nice; if you're not an idiot.

If you notice that the F2P you're playing isn't really a game but a cash grab, just stop playing. If you have a problem noticing when this is true or your too far in to quit now then you're an idiot. If at any point you purchase goods to accelerate progress, you're an idiot. If you actually find yourself enjoying it (looking at you "Clumsy Ninja"), then maybe kick some money the way of the Devs (Until Zynga buy it out, that is).

Don't forget the point of a game is the journey. Have you ever been the best in an MMO (or at least, really damn good), it gets boring. The point isn't the be the best, it's to become the best.

Anyways, in short, the problem with F2P games is: people (and the people that complain about F2P games).

He points out that there are f2p games which use the f2p model well. I think he used the game loadout as an example. The problem with other some f2p games is that they aren't even games! You have to spend ridiculous amounts of time or money to determine that.

It's not really F2P if basic gameplay, which ends up going nowhere, has an admission price. At that point it is just a cynical scheme to make a few bucks.

#11 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,718 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:58

The problem with other some f2p games is that they aren't even games! You have to spend ridiculous amounts of time or money to determine that.

No you don't, you can deduce fairly quickly that this is what will happen while playing that game. And when a person does do this it is of no fault to the F2P model but of the idiotic user.

I'll admit in some circumstances it can be tricky to see through the veil of uncertainty while playing a new F2P so here is top 10 list of red flags:

1) It's made in Korea.

2) It's made by EA.

3) They refer to the in-game currency by anything that sounds overly cute.

4) There are monkeys, rabbits, penguins or <insert popular 'cute' animal here> predominately featured through-out the game.

5) In every opportunity that could possibly arise it blasts you with social media integration options. TELL YOUR FRIENDS!

6) It's made in Korea.

7) There is a logarithmic progression curve that is noticeable by any indication passed level 3 or a symbol thereof a suitable time frame to be level 3 (not all games have levels)

8) "Skip this/Speed" this up by paying X fun-lovey-dovey-bunny-coins

9) It's made in Korea

and

10) $1.00 = 1 Bazillion Trillion Megamillion fun-lovey-dovey-bunny-coins, "What a Deal!"

#12 Mandosis

Mandosis

Je'daii Ranger

• 421 posts
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:01

He absolutely nails the issue with most free to play games and this is why I almost never play them.

#13 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• 4,737 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:14

I most definitely agree that the F2P model is heavily abused right now, especially for mobile games. 

There is a wider issue here though and that is the fact that people buy into many of them.  Beyond our small hardcore group of gamers, there is a whole world of casual or average gamers that buy into it, supporting the practice.

So not much will change unless you convince most to not give developers a reason to attempt such games. 

#14 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,185 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:11

Think we should all just start making our own Android games. Games that are just games!! No bs schemes or currencys to buy.

Just a game, you know like you used to get when you bought say a SNES game.

Been seriously thinking about getting stuck in this summer and taking things into my own hands.

I bought a Nexus 7 18months ago and in the last year or so the prevalence of these scams and currency black holes has grown exponentially. Literally 95% or close to now of all games on Android have paid for currencys or wait locks of some sort.

Dont get me wrong you can still find many a gem that whilst containing these is still a playable game. The constant addition of these plus adverts has driven me far away from Android, and kind of wish I`d got myself a Vita instead.

I honestly dont get why the casual market puts up with this bs.

Anyways Id better go see if I can play The Simpsons Tapped Out this Millenia or not.....

#15 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 7,995 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 11 February 2014 - 13:02

Think we should all just start making our own Android games. Games that are just games!! No bs schemes or currencys to buy.

Just a game, you know like you used to get when you bought say a SNES game.

Been seriously thinking about getting stuck in this summer and taking things into my own hands.

I bought a Nexus 7 18months ago and in the last year or so the prevalence of these scams and currency black holes has grown exponentially. Literally 95% or close to now of all games on Android have paid for currencys or wait locks of some sort.

Dont get me wrong you can still find many a gem that whilst containing these is still a playable game. The constant addition of these plus adverts has driven me far away from Android, and kind of wish I`d got myself a Vita instead.

I honestly dont get why the casual market puts up with this bs.

Anyways Id better go see if I can play The Simpsons Tapped Out this Millenia or not.....

That's my plan.. got a basic engine and test code all done (using GL).. it's now just a matter of actually coding it.. and getting graphics lol.