Photo

Free To Wait

jimquisition the escapist free to wait the simpsons: tapped out farmville dungeon keeper free 2 play loadout

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,587 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 11 February 2014 - 22:44

No you don't, you can deduce fairly quickly that this is what will happen while playing that game. And when a person does do this it is of no fault to the F2P model but of the idiotic user.

I'll admit in some circumstances it can be tricky to see through the veil of uncertainty while playing a new F2P so here is top 10 list of red flags:

1) It's made in Korea.

2) It's made by EA.

3) They refer to the in-game currency by anything that sounds overly cute.

4) There are monkeys, rabbits, penguins or <insert popular 'cute' animal here> predominately featured through-out the game.

5) In every opportunity that could possibly arise it blasts you with social media integration options. TELL YOUR FRIENDS!

6) It's made in Korea.

7) There is a logarithmic progression curve that is noticeable by any indication passed level 3 or a symbol thereof a suitable time frame to be level 3 (not all games have levels)

8) "Skip this/Speed" this up by paying X fun-lovey-dovey-bunny-coins

9) It's made in Korea

and

10) $1.00 = 1 Bazillion Trillion Megamillion fun-lovey-dovey-bunny-coins, "What a Deal!"

Tell me again how the Koreans are out to rob us.

This isn't a list about anything except your mistrust of Koreans and a dislike of a cutesy factor. None of it deals with the fundamental issue of labeling a game as free to play when it's essentially the opposite. Accusing everyone of being idiots if they can't detect a raw deal is arrogant and condescending.

#17 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,830 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 23:46

Tell me again how the Koreans are out to rob us.

In the F2P market, they're out to make money; they're good at it.

This isn't a list about anything except your mistrust of Koreans and a dislike of a cutesy factor. None of it deals with the fundamental issue of labeling a game as free to play when it's essentially the opposite.

I never claimed it was and it quite obviously isn't. I said it was a list to show red flags that this game was going to be a problem. The problems have already been discussed. Do you need a list for that?

Accusing everyone of being idiots if they can't detect a raw deal is arrogant and condescending.

Yes, it is. I agree.

#18 riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• 7,815 posts
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 11 February 2014 - 23:55

Hello,

Personally he sounds ticked he didnt think of it first...

#19 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• 8,587 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 12 February 2014 - 00:38

I never claimed it was and it quite obviously isn't. I said it was a list to show red flags that this game was going to be a problem. The problems have already been discussed. Do you need a list for that?

No. Nor did I request one. You made a list. You could have made a far more useful one, and one less bigoted towards Koreans, like so:

1. Does the game emphasize spending real world money for invented in-game currency? Is the conversion rate of real world money and in-game currency confusing (e.g. buy 3454 gems for $4.99?) (MS were guilty of this with MS points. Even the big American companies exploited consumers this way)

2. Do you need to wait extended periods of time or complete excessively menial tasks in order to do basic things with-in the game?

3. Can you pay to skip waiting times?

4. Can you progress without paying money?

Etc.

Yes, it is. I agree.

Do you take some pride in being condescending and arrogant?

You have a perfectly valid point that consumers should beware when dealing with games, especially those on mobile devices. Calling people idiots because game companies are cynically using exploitative tactics to separate customers from their money with the promise of a fun gaming experience is just unpleasant and might contribute to, in some small way, the continuation of these tactics. After all, if consumers don't tell companies they don't like what they are doing, how else will they know or change?

#20 astropheed

astropheed

astropheed

• 1,830 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:13

No. Nor did I request one. You made a list. You could have made a far more useful one, and one less bigoted towards Koreans . . .

I think you've taken my list far too seriously. Honestly. It's not a way for me to back peddle or beat around the bush, it was never meant to be taken very seriously. Calm yourself. I just expected a giggle or two what with the common preconception that all Korean F2P MMO's are P2W.

Do you take some pride in being condescending and arrogant?

I wouldn't say I'm proud of it, but I'm not ashamed of it either. I've found a nice balance imo. In your opinion I haven't. That's alright with me.

. . . Calling people idiots because game companies are cynically using exploitative tactics to separate customers from their money with the promise of a fun gaming experience is just unpleasant and might contribute to, in some small way, the continuation of these tactics. After all, if consumers don't tell companies they don't like what they are doing, how else will they know or change?

Calling people stupid for doing stupid things usually doesn't contribute to the continuation of doing said thing. In the rare case it does, it's either because the accused was really stupid or the accuser was wrong. I'm not wrong in principle, but I didn't sugar coat it and I could have said it nicer; that could be considered subjectively 'wrong'.

#21 DeltaXray

DeltaXray

Neowinian

• 538 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 09:34

I don't see what the problem is here, really.

There are two very distinct models - pay up front for a game or play a game for free and optionally pay for things in-game.

You can't expect someone to invest significant time, money, and resources into building a game without making some money back *somewhere* (in game purchases, advertising, merchandise, etc etc).

I think gamers these days got so used to the old model that they have this sense of entitlement that once a game is on their device of choice they should be able to play it without restriction or extra cost indefinitely, even if it cost nothing up front.

If you don't like the f2p model, just play traditional games. Sorted.