27 posts in this topic

Posted

Colorado woman decided to breastfeed a puppy in an effort to save its life, a debate about the appropriateness of her actions with the orphaned animal quickly ensued. The unidentified woman posted a photo of the breastfeeding puppy on Facebook and noted that what she did is considered taboo, but claimed she was desperate to save the dying animal.

1 person likes this

Posted

Posting a photo on facebook probably wasn't necessary. I'd think that most initial reactions to this would be ones of disgust.

However, if you give it thought, it's not much different than humans drinking bovine milk. It also appears to have saved a life and created a strong bond.

Posted

Maternal instinct is a very powerful thing. In this case, it has even overpowered the pain caused by puppy's teeth biting the ######.

4 people like this

Posted

Meh, It's her perogative.  You can't really say it's WRONG, can you?  You can say you wouldn't do it yourself.. and that you don't like it.. but there is no reason that it is wrong.

Posted

Honestly, this reminds of the grapes of wrath. Live and let live. If the puppy (or evidently the entire litter :-p) were dying it was morally right. We don't get disgusted when we see a lil piglet nursing from a mama dog do we (or the other way around)?

Obligatory photos: http://piglovers.wordpress.com/tag/dog-nurses-piglet/ Disgusting!!!

Posted

that is so gross since I heard this news! :x

Posted

Saving a life is gross?

Priorities: wrong.

1 person likes this

Posted

she doing the right thing, i would trust a puppy a lot more than human politicians.

3 people like this

Posted

I admire her courageous action; although she could have anticipated the mixed reactions the Facebook post would trigger; given the amount of ignorant people who'd rather see the puppy dead than see a woman doing everything she can to save a soul.

Beautiful and depressing at the same time.

Posted

Whilst its rather unusual if there were no alternative I see no issue in saving the puppy life I would have thought public sentiment would have been on her side.With regard to people objecting to the act well the world is full of acts of horror and hatefulness posted on Facebook and other media websites every day so people need to get real this is really small beans in comparison.

3 people like this

Posted

It`s a bit :p, but animal helps animal.

What`s the problem?

3 people like this

Posted

puppy feeding from a puppy  :shiftyninja:

Posted

hC9DCB377

1 person likes this

Posted

I see no problem with it, but when those needle-like puppy teeth come in I see bottles and a breast pump in their future.

1 person likes this

Posted

So is drinking cow milk? Milk is milk no matter what it came from.

2 people like this

Posted

I understand now. We drink milk frow cow is normal.  thanks for tip, ozgeek. (Y)

Posted

We would think it was cute if another animal did it so I don't see it any different here, good on her.

Posted

she doing the right thing, i would trust a puppy a lot more than human politicians.

"A story about a woman saving a puppy from starvation? Let's bash the politicians!"

:huh:

1 person likes this

Posted

Humans can be so hypocrite... we drink animal's milk but when animal drink human milk, it's gross...

Posted

Humans can be so hypocrite... we drink animal's milk but when animal drink human milk, it's gross...

I would agree with you if humans were wrapping their lips around the utter of a cow, but I don't believe that's the case. There's a huge difference between that and cold, processed milk from a plastic jug.

Regardless, I see nothing wrong with what the woman did to save a life.

Posted

She needs a boyfriend. :p

1 person likes this

Posted

She needs a boyfriend. :p

Unless you are into that "sort of thing" Hum...human breastmilk is pretty terrible...

Most BFs wouldn't want that :p.

Posted

Puppies will eat solid food almost from the day they're born if that's the only option available.  I've raised puppies and been around dogs all my life, and often times removed the mother from the puppies for a few hours because breastfeeding will drain an adult female in no time.  If you don't consistently give her high protein high calorie food, and sometimes even if you do, a mother with 4 or 5 pups breastfeeding all day can even make their hair fall out and make them get real skinny.  So starting from birth, about once a day, I take the mother away from her puppies for about an hour and give her a bowl of food with some milk and a raw chicken egg mixed in, a fresh bowl of water, and give the puppies some soft puppy food with cow's milk and a raw egg mixed in.  If that's what's available, they'll eat it before their eyes are even open.  No need to get weird on us lady, lol.  Then again, maybe I'm just being closed minded.

Posted

Puppies will eat solid food almost from the day they're born if that's the only option available.  I've raised puppies and been around dogs all my life, and often times removed the mother from the puppies for a few hours because breastfeeding will drain an adult female in no time.  If you don't consistently give her high protein high calorie food, and sometimes even if you do, a mother with 4 or 5 pups breastfeeding all day can even make their hair fall out and make them get real skinny.  So starting from birth, about once a day, I take the mother away from her puppies for about an hour and give her a bowl of food with some milk and a raw chicken egg mixed in, a fresh bowl of water, and give the puppies some soft puppy food with cow's milk and a raw egg mixed in.  If that's what's available, they'll eat it before their eyes are even open.  No need to get weird on us lady, lol.  Then again, maybe I'm just being closed minded.

Yeah, close minded.

Posted

If I were a woman, I would have done the same thing if I were in her situation.