nas hdd access

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Pedro3

Pedro3

Neowinian

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:03

Hello…

I have a NAS that it isn't showing in the network, tried many things, but no luck, apparently the HDD is working because I hear the noise when turning it on.

I removed the HDD from the case and wanted to connect it to an external USB case. Windows installs the drive and the Device Manager recognizes the HDD (Hitachi) but it doesn't show up.

Do I try it with Linux?

Thanks!

#2 Xahid

Xahid

Anokha Neowinian

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:17

I believe NAS use Raid system for HDD's,

you have to format it (if HDD is alive) from Disk Manager utility.

#3 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:26

Hello,

I believe NAS use Raid system for HDD's,

:|

you have to format it (if HDD is alive) from Disk Manager utility.

Do not format it.

Hello…

I have a NAS that it isn't showing in the network, tried many things, but no luck, apparently the HDD is working because I hear the noise when turning it on.

I removed the HDD from the case and wanted to connect it to an external USB case. Windows installs the drive and the Device Manager recognizes the HDD (Hitachi) but it doesn't show up.

Do I try it with Linux?

Thanks!

Anyways, open up mmc and give it a drive letter. Its problably (for some reason) not getting a drive letter. This has happened before. IF you cannot assign it a drive letter, then it might be formatted in a FS that is not compatible with Windows.

What NAS are we talking about?

#4 OP Pedro3

Pedro3

Neowinian

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:27

Gonna try to put a letter in it.

I can't format now because I need the data in there.

It's a Lacie NAS (500GB, Hitachi HDD). Do you need more info?

#5 +riahc3

riahc3

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:30

Hello,

It's a Lacie NAS (500GB, Hitachi HDD). Do you need more info?

Exact model would be nice.

#6 Starbuck84

Starbuck84

Would You Kindly?

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:32

Is it a one-bay NAS, I.E. is there only one disk in the NAS? If so, no worries about it being in a RAID config.

Try to mount it under Linux. You could try to use a live distro like Ubuntu. Burn it to a disc, boot from disc and plug your external HDD in. If you're lucky, you might be able to access it. If possible (and given the choice), I'd choose to mount it as read-only. That way, you're able to access your data, and you know it won't be altered in any way.

/edit: I had luck once with an old 250GB NAS, accessing it through Linux. That particular NAS used EXT2, so it was pretty easy.

#7 +riahc3

riahc3

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:38

Hello,

Is it a one-bay NAS, I.E. is there only one disk in the NAS? If so, no worries about it being in a RAID config.

Thats why I :| when someone put it uses "Raid system" :laugh:

Try to mount it under Linux. You could try to use a live distro like Ubuntu. Burn it to a disc, boot from disc and plug your external HDD in. If you're lucky, you might be able to access it. If possible (and given the choice), I'd choose to mount it as read-only. That way, you're able to access your data, and you know it won't be altered in any way.

/edit: I had luck once with an old 250GB NAS, accessing it through Linux. That particular NAS used EXT2, so it was pretty easy.

Mounting it under Linux is also a wise idea but to save him the trouble, just try under disk management first...

#8 Starbuck84

Starbuck84

Would You Kindly?

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:58

Thats why I :| when someone put it uses "Raid system" :laugh:

Mounting it under Linux is also a wise idea but to save him the trouble, just try under disk management first...

:p

And regarding the disk management, you're right. He could also try LinuxReader. http://www.diskinter...m/linux-reader/ . Just run and try to open the external HDD. Saves him the trouble of booting into Linux, this is a click and try solution. It mounts as read-only and it's not particularly fast, but it's free and he gets his data.

#9 OP Pedro3

Pedro3

Neowinian

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:19

I couldn't give a Letter to the HDD (all greyed out) and Linux Reader also didn't work, so I tried a Live CD (Ubuntu) and know I can access the HDD  :D

Inside there are 2 folders, one open (myshare) another one closed (openshare).

I can access the open one, but I can't access the closed because it says "You don't have the permissions necessary to view the contents of..."

How can I access that folder?

Thanks for all the answers :)

#10 Starbuck84

Starbuck84

Would You Kindly?

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:28

Under Ubuntu, open a Terminal screen and type following:

"sudo apt-get install nautilus-gksu" (without the quotation marks)

Log out and log back in to see the 'Open as root' menu option on your HDD mount.

If that doesn't work, type the following command in a Terminal screen:

"gksudo nautilus" (again without the quotation marks)

This opens nautilus (like Windows explorer) as a super user, you could try to see if you're able to open the restricted folder that way.

If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas. :)

#11 OP Pedro3

Pedro3

Neowinian

Posted 11 February 2014 - 15:44

Nautilus doesn't open (nothing happens after typing).

I'm using a live CD from Ubuntu.

Anyone else?

#12 +PeterUK

PeterUK

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 11 February 2014 - 15:50

I can access the open one, but I can't access the closed because it says "You don't have the permissions necessary to view the contents of..."

How can I access that folder?

In windows you have to set NTFS permissions to your user name for the folder to allow access right click the folder > properties > security and you may have to go advanced to take ownership.

#13 OP Pedro3

Pedro3

Neowinian

Posted 11 February 2014 - 16:07

I can't access the HDD in Windows, I can access it through a Linux Live CD, so I'm on Ubuntu Live CD and have to change permissions.

#14 +patseguin

patseguin

Neowin Addict

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: iPhone 5s

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:24

What model of NAS is it? I know Synology can remotely log into their NAS 's and recover data on faulty drives.

#15 +riahc3

riahc3

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:37

Hello,

Under Ubuntu, open a Terminal screen and type following:
"sudo apt-get install nautilus-gksu" (without the quotation marks)
Log out and log back in to see the 'Open as root' menu option on your HDD mount.

If that doesn't work, type the following command in a Terminal screen:
"gksudo nautilus" (again without the quotation marks)
This opens nautilus (like Windows explorer) as a super user, you could try to see if you're able to open the restricted folder that way.

If that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas. :)

sudo nautilus

Would have been enough.

Let me try to remember some unix commands and see if I can help you...Not my area :p

Open a terminal and

sudo cat /etc/fstab

This will tell us the file system it is using. Some are saying its NTFS on here but Im leaning towards a ext type of FS....I just want to confirm.