Google play store like swipeable tabs, suggestions/improvements?

Question

I tried to recreate the Google Play store navigation for phones :P

All the code is inside the html file. Any suggestions or improvements I can do on this code?

If you can please test it on a phone to see if the touch code works fine.

21 answers to this question

- Scrollbar???

On navigation the scrollbar flashes... Can you make it more smooth like removing it...

- Scrollbar???

On navigation the scrollbar flashes... Can you make it more smooth like removing it...

Scrollbars flashes on what exactly? on a phone?

Maybe removing the scrollbar is a good idea since android apps don't have that either.

What did you think about the performance?

Ok, I didn't try it on a phone,  but rather on my Galaxy tablet.  Performance is good, just a bit slower than the real play store but pretty close. My question would be can you preserve the performance when you start loading content? 

Ok more testing.

Default browser - seems fast

Dolphin - good but a bit slower

Firefox - ok but slower, not as fluid

Opera - seems the smoothest

Edited by Zag L.

Ok, I didn't try it on a phone,  but rather on my Galaxy tablet.  Performance is good, just a bit slower than the real play store but pretty close. My question would be can you preserve the performance when you start loading content? 

Content shouldn't actually making any difference for the performance, you might get to see a difference if you put over 500 elements inside as content but that won't be the case I guess.

Thanks for testing, glad to hear that the performance is good and yeah making it as smooth as the real playstore is kinda impossible :/

just tried it on WP with IE11 and you cannot scroll between the tabs it only moves half way and feezes there.

Pretty cool and quite smooth if you ask me. Xperia Z1, Chrome.

I'd look into letting me scroll on the navigation bar too. It's a bit unintuitive as it is now.

Scrollbars flashes on what exactly? on a phone?

Maybe removing the scrollbar is a good idea since android apps don't have that either.

What did you think about the performance?

on Firefox Nightly, scrollbar flashes when navigate. Speed is smooth on my side.

Scrollbar also flash with Chromium 34.

<----------------------<-----------------------------<----------------------

It flashes like this when navigating...

Pretty cool and quite smooth if you ask me. Xperia Z1, Chrome.

I'd look into letting me scroll on the navigation bar too. It's a bit unintuitive as it is now.

Yeah I'm trying to do that, it's kinda hard to get scrolling on the content to work and swipe and tapping on items in the navbar and swipe on the navbar(=scrollingnavbar) all work at the same time, html interaction and touch at the same time is always hard to get working >.>

on Firefox Nightly, scrollbar flashes when navigate. Speed is smooth on my side.

Scrollbar also flash with Chromium 34.

<----------------------<-----------------------------<----------------------

It flashes like this when navigating...

Ah ok I'll look into removing them^^

just tried it on WP with IE11 and you cannot scroll between the tabs it only moves half way and feezes there.

Oh noes D:

Does it move left and right when moving your finger left and right?

And freezes does it mean that it stays at the position it got when leaving touch?

Oh noes D:

Does it move left and right when moving your finger left and right?

And freezes does it mean that it stays at the position it got when leaving touch?

Yes. The animation is fluid when you tap on tabs, but when you swipe it lags and it freezes when you end your gesture :(

Yes. The animation is fluid when you tap on tabs, but when you swipe it lags and it freezes when you end your gesture :(

I guess I got to make a IE hack >.>

When It's ready could you try it?

I guess I got to make a IE hack >.>

When It's ready could you try it?

Yeah, no problem :)

A couple of strange things here:

-Chrome on a Nexus4: works fine and smooth, but the speed moving horizontally between tabs feels weird because you drag and release at a certain speed and as soon as you lift your finger it slows down to what seems to be the predefined animation speed. I guess this might be a limitation of the way it's implemented, and it's not that bad anyway.

-Chrome 32 on Linux: works fine and really smooth, the only problem is an "artifact". When you drag horizontally to move to another tab the scrollbar moves too, and then "teleports" back to it's original place when the tab switching finishes.

This is a capture on the middle of dragging between tabs:

9DkG1nf.png

Tested on chrome on my Atrix (4.1.2)  I notice the slow-down when swiping too (doesn't seem to register drag distance / time).  On chrome for windows (dev) I see the scroll bar when going left and right on the screen (seems to follow the div/section).  Other than that, works well.  

Thanks for your help I'm gonna try implementing dynamic speed based on swipe speed and get rid of those scrollbars as I said before.

Thx for all suggestions so far!

A couple of strange things here:

-Chrome on a Nexus4: works fine and smooth, but the speed moving horizontally between tabs feels weird because you drag and release at a certain speed and as soon as you lift your finger it slows down to what seems to be the predefined animation speed. I guess this might be a limitation of the way it's implemented, and it's not that bad anyway.

-Chrome 32 on Linux: works fine and really smooth, the only problem is an "artifact". When you drag horizontally to move to another tab the scrollbar moves too, and then "teleports" back to it's original place when the tab switching finishes.

This is a capture on the middle of dragging between tabs:

Tested on chrome on my Atrix (4.1.2)  I notice the slow-down when swiping too (doesn't seem to register drag distance / time).  On chrome for windows (dev) I see the scroll bar when going left and right on the screen (seems to follow the div/section).  Other than that, works well.  

I updated the site to have a dynamic swipe speed, could you test it please?

I updated the site to have a dynamic swipe speed, could you test it please?

Seems good, though it does seem to slow down when it has to scroll the top bar.

Hmm yeah there is always a small pause between swiping and having finished swiping before it animates :/

Currently I'm working on detecting a swipe from the edge for a sidebar :D

Could you test the sidebar for me?

Same link.

Thanks!

Could you test the sidebar for me?

Same link.

Thanks!

seems to work, only thing I would suggest is if the side bar width is < 1/2 it's total width, have it go back in, I accidentally opened it without meaning too.  It's sometimes kind of iffy, takes a few tries to get it to come out,  Would also be nice if I could swipe it close instead of having to tap the grey area.

Also in landscape mode my finger gets to the hobbies tab before I can even see the side panel.  my screen is a 4.5" screen.

seems to work, only thing I would suggest is if the side bar width is < 1/2 it's total width, have it go back in, I accidentally opened it without meaning too.  It's sometimes kind of iffy, takes a few tries to get it to come out,  Would also be nice if I could swipe it close instead of having to tap the grey area.

Also in landscape mode my finger gets to the hobbies tab before I can even see the side panel.  my screen is a 4.5" screen.

Great ideas I'll them a try :D