win8.1

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Lord Method Man

Lord Method Man

Banned

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:48

Never saw this in Windows 8.1 before until I just restarted to install today's updates. Is it new?

#2 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 12 February 2014 - 02:49

you probably accidentally installed the skydrive desktop app.

edit: nm spoke too soon. i see it too.

#3 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 5
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 830

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:06

Probably adding access to previous Modern only apps to the desktop.

#4 PUC_Snakeman

PUC_Snakeman

Neowinian

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:06

It is new, with the "SkyDrive" update that was released today.

It is an icon that cannot be disabled, as it is not listed in the "Customize Notifications -> Turn system icons on or off" settings. It'll show you if your files are up-to-date (2 white clouds), if it's syncing (blue syncing icon), or if there was a problem (yellow alert icon). Double-clicking it opens SkyDrive in File Explorer on the Desktop. You can also resolve sync errors by right-clicking it.

That's all I know so far. It's useful, but in my opinion, should be able to be turned off via the setting I mentioned above. Just like the Start Button, it was "forced off" (we didn't have the SkyDrive tray icon in Windows 8/8.1), and now it's "forced on" (we have no way to get rid of the SkyDrive tray icon). I would have preferred the choice, but I do think it's better to have the icon then to not have it.

#5 MorganX

MorganX

MegaZilla™

• OS: Digita Storm Bolt, Windows 8.1 x64Ce Pro w/Media nter Pack/Core i7 4790K/16GB DDR3 1600/Samsung 850 Pro 256GB x 2 - Raid 0/Transcend M.2 256GB/ASRock Z97E-ITXac/GTX 970
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S5 Active

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:10

It is new, with the "SkyDrive" update that was released today.

It is an icon that cannot be disabled, as it is not listed in the "Customize Notifications -> Turn system icons on or off" settings. It'll show you if your files are up-to-date (2 white clouds), if it's syncing (blue syncing icon), or if there was a problem (yellow alert icon). Double-clicking it opens SkyDrive in File Explorer on the Desktop. You can also resolve sync errors by right-clicking it.

That's all I know so far. It's useful, but in my opinion, should be able to be turned off via the setting I mentioned above. Just like the Start Button, it was "forced off" (we didn't have the SkyDrive tray icon in Windows 8/8.1), and now it's "forced on" (we have no way to get rid of the SkyDrive tray icon). I would have preferred the choice, but I do think it's better to have the icon then to not have it.

It's not turning it off, but you can drag it to the hidden icons section on the taskbar, and it will stay there and not show in the status tray.

#6 ambiance

ambiance

Identity Thief

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:13

Uninstalling KB 2923768 removes it. It sure would be nice to know what is in the recommended updates without having to be thrown into a browser.

http://support.micro....com/kb/2923768

#7 PUC_Snakeman

PUC_Snakeman

Neowinian

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:20

Uninstalling KB 2923768 removes it. It sure would be nice to know what is in the recommended updates without having to be thrown into a browser.

http://support.micro....com/kb/2923768

"improves the Skydrive experience" is so freakin' vague. Really Microsoft?

I had to submit feedback to that article, to say so, too. The update's description is lame.

Good thing the update itself is pretty slick.

#8 ians18

ians18

Where Unprofessional Commenting Looks Better.

• Tech Issues Solved: 4
  • OS: Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 9901, Windows 8.1 August update, OSX Yoesmite
  • Phone: Microsoft Lumia 521 on T-mo w/ WP 8.1 Update (Dev) & "Lumia Cyan" Firmware

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:53

I'm updating my Surface now. Let's see what happens

#9 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:56

Wait, so does this put the tray and explorer icons back in place (from prior to 8.1)?

#10 Excelsis

Excelsis

Neowinian

Posted 12 February 2014 - 03:56

For some reason I'm not seeing the tray icon after getting the update. And I would actually like to have it, too. Kind of annoying, eh.

#11 primexx

primexx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:40

For some reason I'm not seeing the tray icon after getting the update. And I would actually like to have it, too. Kind of annoying, eh.

it's in the hidden part by default. make sure you did install that update linked above.

#12 +Chris123NT

Chris123NT

Win8 Master

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:46

Interesting that they backported this behavior.  The tray icon is one of the things added in builds of Update 1.

#13 Excelsis

Excelsis

Neowinian

Posted 12 February 2014 - 08:49

it's in the hidden part by default. make sure you did install that update linked above.

Nope, ain't there. I got it to show up by opening the SkyDrive app though. It doesn't show up until I open it after rebooting for some reason. Could it be caused by Startisback?

#14 Riggers

Riggers

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:37

Nope, ain't there. I got it to show up by opening the SkyDrive app though. It doesn't show up until I open it after rebooting for some reason. Could it be caused by Startisback?

I think he means the update is not ticked by default (you have to manually select it). It`s there for me, seems to be ran from the Dcom Service (SkyDrive.exe) so has to be maually killed if you wish to.

If you have installed it and rebooted maybe it is StartIsback causing it, allthough i wouldn`t of thought so. Do yo have the SkyDrive Sync Engine Host running under processes and does it say SkyDrive.exe (dated 9th Jan 2014) when Properties is selected from right click?

#15 Knive Party

Knive Party

To Death

• Phone: Galaxy S2 CM

Posted 12 February 2014 - 13:32

just updated and my skydrive icon is showing, its a nice improvement.