33 replies to this topic

#1 +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nokia 521

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:05

So I need to buy Office.
But I don't see any way to do so without getting screwed over.
This is what I have gathered so far, please correct me if I am wrong,

Office 2013 is extremely expensive clocking in at 420 USD for Home and Student edition.
With additional 140 per build / tablet. I don't think there is any way to go cheaper here.

Then there is Office 365 which, from I could gather, is a web application.
I live in America - we aren't that well connected here yet and Google docs is free.

There is Office 2010, but it is outdated by one UI generation and not for other family member.
Three computers though.

This is for two people, three computers.

I am just going to buy two copies of 2013 from the looks of it and save some more before buying the third.

Best Answer Shiranui , 12 February 2014 - 04:29

I went with 365 and I'm happy with it. I don't use every app, and I'm only currently using on 3 computers, but I'm happy with it and can write it off as a business expense.

I am warming more and more to the whole SaaS model.

Go to the full post

Edited by _Alexander, 12 February 2014 - 04:06.

#2 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:11

Office 365 includes access to the actual programs, and they can be installed on up to 5 computers.

#3 +Obi-Wan Kenobi

Obi-Wan Kenobi

"You were the chosen one!"

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:11

Stick with what makes you happy. I'd say don't use MS Office 2013 because it is a pay as you go service....stick to an original client: 2010, for example....if you fall into that scheme of paying for everything, especially office.....well, you're going to have a bad time. OpenOffice: Free, can do the same EXACT thing...LibreOffice...well, do I need to repeat myself? Are there any specific needs for specified clients? Edit: Office 365....what a joke! Stray away form these "software packages cost so much per year" type of deals....it'll burn you in the end. There are free solutions that LAUGH in the face of these that are paid....and they have the same, if not more, capabilities than what you seek.

#4 OP +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:13

Office 365 includes access to the actual programs, and they can be installed on up to 5 computers.

Oh, offline Office 365 apps have feature parity with Office 2013?

#5 +LogicalApex

LogicalApex

Software Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:17

Office is crazy expensive. I would see if you really need it. If so. I would then see if you are in the Home Use program that allows you to license it for $10.

#6 blerk

blerk

Neowinian

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:19

Yup. 

If you don't want to spend any money at all, try Office Online - sorta like Microsoft's equivalent of Google Docs (free, online-only).

Best deal is if you are an employee of a company that has deployed Office - often you will get Office for ~$5 through the home use program, though that is single user only I think.

You could try to get the Office 365 University somehow - 3 licences, 4 years, much cheaper than Office Home & Student.

(Man all these Office editions get confusing...)

#7 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:27

Yes.

Just keep in mind, if you have unreliable internet, you need to connect to the internet once every 30 days for programs to remain activated. If you miss it you'll need to sign in to your account and they will activate again.

#8 Shiranui

Shiranui

Iconoclast

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:29   Best Answer

I went with 365 and I'm happy with it. I don't use every app, and I'm only currently using on 3 computers, but I'm happy with it and can write it off as a business expense.

I am warming more and more to the whole SaaS model.

#9 OP +_Alexander

_Alexander

Neowinian

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:34

Well I will try out Office 365 then!

#10 The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:42

In my opinion something like Google Docs or Office Online is more than enough for home use.

If you still need something more powerful, how about a free open source variant like LibreOffice? I personally haven't used it, but according to Lifehacker it is just as capable as Microsoft Office. It doesn't have an email client built-in, but you can use something like Thunderbird (free) or Postbox (paid).

#11 Tokiga

Tokiga

Neowinian

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:53

Why use Office at all? LibreOffice reads and writes in office format and its free: https://www.libreoffice.org/

#12 +snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

snaphat (Myles Landwehr)

Electrical & Computer Engineer

• Tech Issues Solved: 29
  • Phone: dumb phone

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:24

Why use Office at all? LibreOffice reads and writes in office format and its free: https://www.libreoffice.org/

Well for one, Impress does an exceedingly poor job of handling conversion to/from powerpoint in terms of font appearance and has other issues: WYSINWG. For example, if you open a presentation done in Impress using Powerpoint, the font size is probably going to be off and some slide elements won't be in the correct spots. Usually, this particular issue manifest itself with part of the text pushing off out of the bottom slide boundary.

Also, I had a co-worker use it recently for a joint presentation and when I opened it in powerpoint, all of the images he used were broken. I added additional images and when he went to modify the presentation back in Impress, they were broken for him. It was pretty great.  

#13 Matthew_Thepc

Matthew_Thepc

Neowinian

Posted 12 February 2014 - 05:50

Office 2013 is extremely expensive clocking in at 420 USD for Home and Student edition.
With additional 140 per build / tablet. I don't think there is any way to go cheaper here.

Wait, isn't H&S $140? http://www.amazon.co...rds=Office 2013

& On Ebay it's about $105 - http://www.ebay.com/...=item5d39e6f786

#14 -Razorfold

-Razorfold

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 900

Posted 12 February 2014 - 06:04

What?

http://office.micros...X102898564.aspx

$140

#15 Grunt

Grunt

Golden Boy

Posted 12 February 2014 - 07:26

Find out from a friendly IT guy if your company is signed up to Microsoft Software Assurance. If so, you can get Office 2013 really cheap: http://www.microsofthup.com