Buying MS Office Advice

Question

So I need to buy Office.

But I don't see any way to do so without getting screwed over.

This is what I have gathered so far, please correct me if I am wrong,

Office 2013 is extremely expensive clocking in at 420 USD for Home and Student edition.

With additional 140 per build / tablet. I don't think there is any way to go cheaper here.

Then there is Office 365 which, from I could gather, is a web application.

I live in America - we aren't that well connected here yet and Google docs is free.

There is Office 2010, but it is outdated by one UI generation and not for other family member.

Three computers though.

This is for two people, three computers.

I am just going to buy two copies of 2013 from the looks of it and save some more before buying the third.

So I need to buy Office.

But I don't see any way to do so without getting screwed over.

This is what I have gathered so far, please correct me if I am wrong,

Office 2013 is extremely expensive clocking in at 420 USD for Home and Student edition.

With additional 140 per build / tablet. I don't think there is any way to go cheaper here.

Then there is Office 365 which, from I could gather, is a web application.

I live in America - we aren't that well connected here yet and Google docs is free.

There is Office 2010, but it is outdated by one UI generation and not for other family member.

Three computers though.

This is for two people, three computers.

I am just going to buy two copies of 2013 from the looks of it and save some more before buying the third.

Office 365 is Office 2013 as a subscription model where as soon as you stop paying the applications stop working - nothing changes other than the licence itself.

Regarding Office 365 or Office 2013 - it really depends on how heavily you use it, whether you have five devices to take advantage of the licences that come with office 365 and whether you're the sort of person who would benefit getting regular upgrades as hey are released by Microsoft. Personally if I was a real Office user I'd go and have Office 365 but as a Mac user I'm a bit concerned given the lack of any decision over the successor to Office 2011 which makes me hold off from moving forward with any sort of purchase.

I tried Libre Office.

Trying Libre Office is the best argument for buying Microsoft Office ever made.

What do you mean? I am pretty sure ?420 > $420

EDIT: And I marked this as solved as I bought 365 and it works fine.

it is ha but i said ?140 not ?420... anyway solved sooooo buttons

It's ?140 to buy Office Home and Student 2013 here.... and i would even consider that over priced

It's really simple.

If money is your concern, then don't get Office 2013 (standalone), get Office 365. The latter is exactly the same as regular Office 2013 (you get a suite of apps) but you pay for it as a subscription, so a small sum per month, as well as other benefits e.g. you can install it up to 5 machines (depending on what edition), you also get the ability to temporarily install and use a copy of Office on ANY PC while logged into office.microsoft.com (once you close it it deletes itself), etc.

No matter which version you get, they both work exactly the same with regards to installing i.e. you have to log onto http://office.microsoft.com, download the installer and run it while you're connected to the internet.

who still uses outlook if you're not part of a business? that's why it's so expensive.

it's not even that good

Raises hand, what's better than Outlook on Windows that actually works with Exchange Active Sync?

Hello,

Can't suggest any alternatives, though, because I haven't found any email service, hosted or otherwise, that I actually like completely.

That's another issue. There really isn't any alternative that tries to match Outlook.

It's either hosted by Google, in the US (Gmail), or the UI is crappy (everything else).

We are talking mail clients, not web mail. Big difference.

Also, what does it matter that Gmail is hosted in the US? (it isn't but)

I guess I would have to raise my hand... Outlook has been my main email program since Outlook 97... And I'm not 30 yet, so no I'm not old.

Outlook is a great client. I still haven't found a replacement, though I would love some suggestions if you have them. My only criteria is I have no use for anything web based (I host my own Exchange server).

Shh about your age... LOL never give the people fodder for later.. lol.

I use it because I basically bought into it through the free upgrade option and I might as well use it since that is why I bought into office2010/2013. I agree with you. it is helpful with clicking emai links and popping open when trying to email my professors at school. it's a kind of, "it's there, why not use it?"

Hello,

That's another issue. There really isn't any alternative that tries to match Outlook.

We are talking mail clients, not web mail. Big difference.

Also, what does it matter that Gmail is hosted in the US? (it isn't but)

I'm including both webmail and mail clients. Nothing has UI/mail organization that even comes close to Gmail (see earlier about a particular gripe I have with Outlook client, for example).

I recommend that you just get Microsoft Office 2010 so you can install it on multiple PCs.

Microsoft Office 2013 is not exactly a huge improvement over Microsoft Office 2010.