Person is going to build his own PC.........and doesn't even know how to pirate Windows

I highly recommended him NOT to build his own PC because he is gonna have problems looking for drivers and termal paste if he doesnt even know how to do Windows! He said he knows how, completely ignoring my advice.

What does drivers.. and thermal paste.. have to do with pirating windows??  Didn't realize you had to get pirated drivers and thermal paste if you want to run pirated windows...

What does drivers.. and thermal paste.. have to do with pirating windows??  Didn't realize you had to get pirated drivers and thermal paste if you want to run pirated windows...

My friend is going to build his own V8 engine for his roadster.... and doesn't even know how to steal paint from a body shop!

Hello,

You're basically saying they have the ability to go online and search for a tutorial, in which case anyone is capable of anything since they should have the knowledge to search online for a guide.

Your topic is phrased as though pirating Windows is a fundamental part of building a new PC, and that its ludicrous for someone to attempt building a PC without this essential skill.

If they have the ability to go online and search for a tutorial on how to build a PC....dont you think he would have the same ability to search how to pirate Windows?

Thermal paste is pretty easy to apply, I dont think you can mess up too much there. But drivers: What happens when he puts it all together and there are several hardware components which dont have the drivers for the OS he loads or are outdated? He would have to search for them. If he cant search for Windows, you think he is gonna be able to search for compatible drivers?

My friend is going to build his own V8 engine for his roadster.... and doesn't even know how to steal paint from a body shop!

The comparision is way out of context and isnt even remotely related.

I guess I just don't see any point whatsoever. The OS is just another line item in the components of a computer. It's simply not an option to not purchase it. If it's not worth it *TO HIM* then maybe Linux is. Really, the valuation of the OS at $0 is completely fabricated in his head to make him feel better about it.

And frankly, so what about him not knowing how to pirate. In fact I'm more curious how anyone who does their computer related job legit has the know-how to pirate. It's just not something you need to know unless you need to know...

Hello,

I guess I just don't see any point whatsoever. The OS is just another line item in the components of a computer. It's simply not an option to not purchase it. If it's not worth it *TO HIM* then maybe Linux is. Really, the valuation of the OS at $0 is completely fabricated in his head to make him feel better about it.

I agree. Its just a part of your PC.

He might as well buy a 3D printer :laugh:

• Like 1

Thermal paste is pretty easy to apply, I dont think you can mess up too much there. But drivers: What happens when he puts it all together and there are several hardware components which dont have the drivers for the OS he loads or are outdated? He would have to search for them. If he cant search for Windows, you think he is gonna be able to search for compatible drivers?

What makes you think windows won't do it for him via windows update? Maybe I don't understand why you think pirated windows is something special? It's the exact same as an OEM Copy.. just activated via hacks.  If he can use windows.. he can use a pirated copy.. they aren't some mystical thing.  Also, searching for pirated windows is not the same as installing drivers.. right now I get the vibe you aren't super knowledgeable either.  For drivers.. go to the AMD/ATI NVIDIA Intel etc site and click the big ass DOWNLOAD DRIVERS button.  Downloading pirated windows requires you to know how torrents work, or where to find it.. as MS won't just offer a "DOWNLOAD PIRATED WINDOWS HURR" link.

Also, I still don't see what thermal paste has to do with pirated windows.  

It isn't though, and is related.  You are saying he can't build a computer because he can't pirate windows.  What does pirating software have to do with building a computer?  Why can't he run linux? Why does it have to be windows?  It's the exact same as saying  "Well you can't build an engine because you can't steal the paint".   Building a computer has nothing to do with pirating.. just like building an engine has nothing to do with the car color.

Building computers is not hard. Don't make it seem harder than it has gotten. Thermal paste is a non-issue these days with it pre-applied to the processor's heatsink. Drivers are such a breeze now. Windows 7 and 8 will recognize most hardware these days and all you need is the NIC to check Windows Updates and use your vendor's automatic driver download tool.

Really? Because you said that because he doesn't know how to pirate Windows he's going to have problems applying thermal paste to a processor. Damn aren't those two skills one and the same.

• Like 2

Hello,

What makes you think windows won't do it for him via windows update?

What makes you think it will? Ive formatted 5 PCs in the last 2 weeks and all of them have at least had one unknown device and one driver outdated. The rest like you said: All updated thru WU.

Maybe I don't understand why you think pirated windows is something special?

It isnt special. Thats exactly what I mean.

It's the exact same as an OEM Copy.. just activated via hacks.  If he can use windows.. he can use a pirated copy..

Um "using" has what to do with "installing"?

right now I get the vibe you aren't super knowledgeable either.

If you are gonna insult me, then we might as well close the thread.

For drivers.. go to the AMD/ATI NVIDIA Intel etc site and click the big ass DOWNLOAD DRIVERS button.  Downloading pirated windows requires you to know how torrents work, or where to find it.. as MS won't just offer a "DOWNLOAD PIRATED WINDOWS HURR" link.

:rolleyes:

Also, I still don't see what thermal paste has to do with pirated windows.

Like I said, if you can search what termal paste is, search on how to apply it, and actually do it, you can pirate Windows.

It isn't though, and is related.

How you see that his example is related....*sigh* why even bother...

You are saying he can't build a computer because he can't pirate windows.

Don't put words in my mouth: If he can build a PC, how can he not search and learn how to pirate Windows? Its a completely different thing.

What does pirating software have to do with building a computer?  Why can't he run linux? Why does it have to be windows?  It's the exact same as saying  "Well you can't build an engine because you can't steal the paint".   Building a computer has nothing to do with pirating.. just like building an engine has nothing to do with the car color.

OK, I have a question: How did Linux get into this situation? I mean, there is no mention what so ever about Linux in any of the posts I have made! :laugh: Please answer and Ill go ahead and ask someone to close this as this is going nowhere.

Really? Because you said that because he doesn't know how to pirate Windows he's going to have problems applying thermal paste to a processor. Damn aren't those two skills one and the same.

Both your examples are physical. Mines arent (and please dont say "You use your hands for both"...just dont). Just that you cant tell the difference there, tells me your example has nothing to do with the situation.

All Im asking is someone explain why Linux got into this and Ill just ask to close this because this is going nowhere :no:

Both your examples are physical. Mines arent. Just that you cant tell the difference there, tells me your example has nothing to do with the situation.

Mine are two skills that have nothing to do with eachother. Just like yours.

All Im asking is someone explain why Linux got into this and Ill just ask to close this because this is going nowhere :no:

Because this "person" is too cheap to buy Windows and wants to pirate it, the suggestion was to use Linux instead since its also free. Just that you can't see the releveance here, tells me you know nothing about the situation.

And yes, please have this closed. It's one of the worst threads posted in recent days.

Why does he need to pirate the OS at all? LogicalApex said it best.

As for the thermal paste and drivers; he probably won't even need to do anything, as most (if not all) CPUs today come with it pre-applied. The drivers will either be included with the hardware or readily availble when he connects it online.

Hello,

Mine are two skills that have nothing to do with eachother. Just like yours.

You simply do not understand, do you? :laugh:

Because this "person" is too cheap to buy Windows and wants to pirate it, the suggestion was to use Linux instead since its also free.

Wow, the whole point of the thread really just flew over you, didnt it?

Wow, the whole point of the thread really just flew over you, didnt it?

What is the point? For everyone to make fun of the fact that your idiot friend wants to pirate Windows and doesn't know how? A skill you apparently think is fundamental? Tell me a lot about you, thanks.

I can tell you made this thread thinking everyone was going to have a good laugh at the fact that someone doesn't know how to pirate Windows, when in fact you're the only one here who has managed to make themselves look silly.

Hello,

Why does he need to pirate the OS at all? LogicalApex said it best.

How would I know; he told me that we wants to do it and to tell him how. I just suggested that he can get at a price that most of his components cost.

As for the thermal paste and drivers; he probably won't even need to do anything, as most (if not all) CPUs today come with it pre-applied. The drivers will either be included with the hardware or readily availble when he connects it online.

CPUs? I imagine you ment heatsinks....

Of course, they will be included in CDs and WU but at least one will be outdated or pop up a unknown device. If he doesnt know where to search for a ilegal versi?n of Windows, I doubt he knows how to search drivers for a unknown device.

You can close this Andrew G. It is going nowhere.

Isn't the fact that you post how amused you are that Your friend doesn't know how to pirate windows, be an admittance that you have pirated windows and thus should be warned for talking about illegal software? :D

No Illegal Software/Copyrighted Discussion.
Discussions involving warez, cracks, security circumvention, using torrents for downloading copyrighted or illegal material is strictly prohibited. This includes music files or other unauthorized software. Asking for help in doing so will cause warns or suspensions of accounts.

The following punishments may be applied to your account following infractions:

• Posting a link to pirated software/film/tv/music. = SNIP POST + WARNING LEVEL RAISE
  • Suggesting (overtly endorsing) that somebody pirate material. = SNIP POST + WARNING LEVEL RAISE
  • Requesting assistance in pirating material. = SNIP POST + WARNING LEVEL RAISE
  • Posting screenshots that show obviously pirated material (e.g. someone's uTorrent download screen) = SNIP POST + PM and/or ZERO LEVEL WARN
  • Openly discussing pirated material (e.g. z0mg - new episode of Lost was amazing!! BitTorrent FTW!) = SNIP POST + PM and/or ZERO LEVEL WARN

Repeat offenders of the above examples will eventually be restricted from posting all together

Hello,

What is the point? For everyone to make fun of the fact that your idiot friend wants to pirate Windows and doesn't know how? A skill you apparently think is fundamental? Tell me a lot about you, thanks.

The point is that everyone would be surprised that he can search to make his own PC but can't search to pirate Windows.

I can tell you made this thread thinking everyone was going to have a good laugh at the fact that someone doesn't know how to pirate Windows, when in fact you're the only one here who has managed to make themselves look silly.

Not a laugh, but be surprised. I have learned something about Neowin members though...then again you have only solved one issue on Neowin so Im not surprised.

Anyways, this can be closed :) Serves no other purpose.

Isn't the fact that you post how amused you are that Your friend doesn't know how to pirate windows, be an admittance that you have pirated windows and thus should be warned for talking about illegal software? :D

No Illegal Software/Copyrighted Discussion.

Discussions involving warez, cracks, security circumvention, using torrents for downloading copyrighted or illegal material is strictly prohibited. This includes music files or other unauthorized software. Asking for help in doing so will cause warns or suspensions of accounts.

The following punishments may be applied to your account following infractions:

• Posting a link to pirated software/film/tv/music. = SNIP POST + WARNING LEVEL RAISE
  • Suggesting (overtly endorsing) that somebody pirate material. = SNIP POST + WARNING LEVEL RAISE
  • Requesting assistance in pirating material. = SNIP POST + WARNING LEVEL RAISE
  • Posting screenshots that show obviously pirated material (e.g. someone's uTorrent download screen) = SNIP POST + PM and/or ZERO LEVEL WARN
  • Openly discussing pirated material (e.g. z0mg - new episode of Lost was amazing!! BitTorrent FTW!) = SNIP POST + PM and/or ZERO LEVEL WARN
Repeat offenders of the above examples will eventually be restricted from posting all together
Come on guys you're making it far too big a deal.

Hello,

The point is that everyone would be surprised that he can search to make his own PC but can't search to pirate Windows.

Not a laugh, but be surprised. I have learned something about Neowin members though...then again you have only solved one issue on Neowin so Im not surprised.

Anyways, this can be closed :) Serves no other purpose.

And what you're failing to understand is that it's not surprising. It's the exact opposite - completely expected - yet you're trying to tell everyone else they've missed the point? The point is in the title, bro, and we've just disagreed with you respectfully for the most part.

I've pirated windows in the past, but wouldn't know where to begin to do so for windows 8. I also built computers for a living.