Ad Blocker

Question

I got rid of AdMuncher when the development went stale and moved to AdGuard.

Does adguard get rid of the ads in skype?  Those ads are driving me insane.  Figures MS would take another product and screw it up by plastering ads all over the UI.

Does adguard get rid of the ads in skype?  Those ads are driving me insane.  Figures MS would take another product and screw it up by plastering ads all over the UI.

I don't see why it wouldn't work - I'll have to install Skype and give it a try. All you basically do is add Skype as a browser so it's filtered and find out. :p I've made the suggestion to the Adguard developers to change that feature to include non-browser applications, including Skype so there's no confusion.

EDIT: Just tested this and from what I can tell, it seems to be blocking the Skype ads just fine (tried a test call).

HOW IS THIS POST HERE!!! I Have been banned in the past cause i talked about Ad Blockers!!!

Well, don't block ads on Neowin and whitelist the domain - I sure have! Even better if you can afford it, purchase a subscription and enjoy the site ad-free! ;)

I've been hearing that for several years now regarding AM 5. :p A mobile version? Not feasible with iOS/Android due to the various limitations of both. Windows Phone? I wouldn't hold my breath... The only viable cross-platform solution to mobile filtration is a custom paid VPN solution with adblocking capabilities. Sure there's AdAway and ABP for Android, but in my option they're not very helpful with most ads - even on a rooted phone due to Android's limitations.

So do you know of any custom paid VPN solution with adblocking capabilities?

To be fair, he's only asking which blocker users have, not really glorifying it.

As to the OQ, ABP with easylist, and a little helping of NoScript ;). I also use AdAway / hosts file blocklist on Android.

So do you know of any custom paid VPN solution with adblocking capabilities?

One *may* be in the works, we'll see. :P

lifetime license! you lucky bastrd!

Shame I can't get a refund for Ad Muncher now, eh?

There's discussions about an Adguard VPN solution for mobile being developed, *possibly* soon. We'll have to see so keep watching for that in this topic. I've posted some of my own ideas for the developers for that too, some of which they're taking into consideration.

I originally bought a 2 year license, then upgraded it to a lifetime license for three PCs - all of which I can control via the website (meaning if I change PCs I can deactivate the PC on the site and use that activation for another PC/install).

I have one small ad on the bottom left.  Is that the only ad?  It doesn't seem that intrusive.

I have one small ad on the bottom left.  Is that the only ad?  It doesn't seem that intrusive.

I'm seeing an ad on the top of the chat area as well now.  Started with the new version of skype (6.11).

One *may* be in the works, we'll see. :p

Shame I can't get a refund for Ad Muncher now, eh?

I thought about to buy it but I have not had a chance to get a lifetime license....  

Instead I got adblock for FF...  

Maybe I think about to get lifetime if I get enough $ for it.

TMG 2010. No software to install so it works with windows rt and phone, can filter https based on subdomain.domain (without https inspection), SSTP vpn for filtered internet anywhere, clustered for high availability.

Well, don't block ads on Neowin and whitelist the domain - I sure have! Even better if you can afford it, purchase a subscription and enjoy the site ad-free! ;)

NOT the point, sometime ago talking about ad block was a big NO NO. so what now we allowed to. 

I used to use proxy filter like Ad Muncher, Adfender, and recently Ad guard. However, they are useless against HTTPS sites.

So now, I'm back to ABP for Firefox, MGTEK Adblock IE for IE11, and ABP for Firefox on Android.

Skype doesn't run inside firefox, so no it obviously won't block adverts in skype...

I agreed, I've been using adblock + in firefox for years now and so far it works good for me.

Hi guys

Just thought i would explain the questions

Our Rules state that....

Advertisement Blocking.
Glorifying the fact in posts here on Neowin is strictly forbidden. We understand that some members could not care less to display advertisements on any website, and therefore block a stream of revenue that is required to keep this site running. We can not do much about that but please do not glorify the fact.

We have a subscription package that professionally removes all advertisements from Neowin for a small annual fee. We never ask members to click advertisements, and for those that do; we greatly appreciate this. Simply allowing the advertisement to load (without clicking on it) also returns revenue for the site. If you feel that you can not whitelist Neowin or afford the subscription but would like to contribute, you are very welcome to donate via PayPal to subscribe@neowin.net and make a post here.

General Discussions about software that can be used is fine, as mentioned before some people use ad blocking software but white-list same domains which is good as this allows a for revenue to be generated for free parts of the site.

As per the rules though discussing the fact you are blocking ads here specifically on Neowin will not be tolerated and will be removed as per the rules

Any questions you can pm me i will be glad to help :)

Ta

I'm seeing an ad on the top of the chat area as well now.  Started with the new version of skype (6.11).

I'm on 6.13 and this is what my chat window looks like.  The ad I was talking about is the orange ad (that changes) at the bottom left.

post-2250-0-03391600-1392297738.png

Adfender.  Like Ad Muncher / Guard but free.

Works well, doesn't support all of the minor browser forks though, however it does support Palemoon / Waterfox and Comodo browsers.

@Neowin staff - sorry, if people are going to block ads they're going to block ads.  Banning / removing posts is a bit childish.  By all means encourage people to whitelist the site (as I do) but some people just don't want ads anywhere.  It's probably better to accept it rather than taking a draconian attitude towards it.

• Like 3

I agree with to a degree with Wakers, people will block ads even if you you do ask nicely... 

... But in saying that, if you are using an ad blocker, and haven't white-listed Neowin, then you should at least put in a few bucks for a subscription. 

I have my Sub2 - so im paying not to have any ads, and im still supporting the site. If you guys are blocking ads, and arnt a Subby, then at least take 30 seconds to white list Neowin guys :/