Photo

Ad Blocker

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#46 Jake Lee

Jake Lee

Neowinian

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:33

Skype doesn't run inside firefox, so no it obviously won't block adverts in skype...

I agreed, I've been using adblock + in firefox for years now and so far it works good for me.

#47 cork1958

cork1958

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:47

ABP in any Mozilla based browser and a KILLER host file!!

#48 Haggis

Haggis

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE (i9305)

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:03

Hi guys

Just thought i would explain the questions

Our Rules state that....

Advertisement Blocking.
Glorifying the fact in posts here on Neowin is strictly forbidden. We understand that some members could not care less to display advertisements on any website, and therefore block a stream of revenue that is required to keep this site running. We can not do much about that but please do not glorify the fact.

We have a subscription package that professionally removes all advertisements from Neowin for a small annual fee. We never ask members to click advertisements, and for those that do; we greatly appreciate this. Simply allowing the advertisement to load (without clicking on it) also returns revenue for the site. If you feel that you can not whitelist Neowin or afford the subscription but would like to contribute, you are very welcome to donate via PayPal to subscribe@neowin.net and make a post here.

General Discussions about software that can be used is fine, as mentioned before some people use ad blocking software but white-list same domains which is good as this allows a for revenue to be generated for free parts of the site.

As per the rules though discussing the fact you are blocking ads here specifically on Neowin will not be tolerated and will be removed as per the rules

Any questions you can pm me i will be glad to help :)

Ta

#49 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 February 2014 - 13:22

I'm seeing an ad on the top of the chat area as well now.  Started with the new version of skype (6.11).

I'm on 6.13 and this is what my chat window looks like.  The ad I was talking about is the orange ad (that changes) at the bottom left.

Skype.PNG

#50 Wakers

Wakers

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 February 2014 - 13:50

Adfender.  Like Ad Muncher / Guard but free.

Works well, doesn't support all of the minor browser forks though, however it does support Palemoon / Waterfox and Comodo browsers.

@Neowin staff - sorry, if people are going to block ads they're going to block ads.  Banning / removing posts is a bit childish.  By all means encourage people to whitelist the site (as I do) but some people just don't want ads anywhere.  It's probably better to accept it rather than taking a draconian attitude towards it.

#51 +Anarkii

Anarkii

Member N° 1,455

• Phone: iPhone 5, iOS 8

Posted 13 February 2014 - 13:58

I agree with to a degree with Wakers, people will block ads even if you you do ask nicely... 

... But in saying that, if you are using an ad blocker, and haven't white-listed Neowin, then you should at least put in a few bucks for a subscription. 

I have my Sub2 - so im paying not to have any ads, and im still supporting the site. If you guys are blocking ads, and arnt a Subby, then at least take 30 seconds to white list Neowin guys :/

#52 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 13 February 2014 - 15:57

I used to use proxy filter like Ad Muncher, Adfender, and recently Ad guard. However, they are useless against HTTPS sites.

HTTPS is filtered in Adguard 5.7 and above and it works fine with HTTPS sites.

I've been testing Skype and I'm not seeing any ads at all when filtering.

#53 i_was_here

i_was_here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 13 February 2014 - 16:09

@Neowin staff - sorry, if people are going to block ads they're going to block ads.  Banning / removing posts is a bit childish.  By all means encourage people to whitelist the site (as I do) but some people just don't want ads anywhere.  It's probably better to accept it rather than taking a draconian attitude towards it.

To be fair to Neowin, all they ask is that you don't brag about it. You won't get banned for simply mentioning you use an ad blocker else almost everyone in this thread should be banned.

#54 mastercoms

mastercoms

Expert Microsoft Fanboy & C# Coder

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: Lumia 928 WP8.1U1 Black

Posted 13 February 2014 - 16:14

Still use this Tracking Protection tweak for Internet Explorer.

http://www.learnwith...block-plus.html

PS: I have it disabled for Neowin, though. :)

#55 i_was_here

i_was_here

Neowinian Senior

Posted 18 February 2014 - 19:25

@Domelo - Ruined your system how? Except for the Android version, ABP is usually for an individual browser so I don't think it could royally screw your system.

#56 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

Posted 18 February 2014 - 20:09

Yeah, I'm also curious how Adblock Plus can ruin a system?

#57 SidVicious

SidVicious

Decepticon

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 620 - Windows Phone 8.1

Posted 18 February 2014 - 20:22

I use this http://quintolabs.com/virtual.php

Works fine with IE11 Metro on my tablet.

#58 +Majesticmerc

Majesticmerc

Resident Idealist

• Tech Issues Solved: 8
  • Phone: HTC One X

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:40

@Domelo - Ruined your system how? Except for the Android version, ABP is usually for an individual browser so I don't think it could royally screw your system.

It doesn't do anything to your system. I think he's a shill for Adguard. He's only got two posts and both are promoting Adguard.

#59 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

Posted 04 March 2014 - 20:02

Never have had that issue with Adblock Plus for Android.

#60 +Boo Berry

Boo Berry

Neowinian Ghost

Posted 04 March 2014 - 20:25

It's just the way you worded it though. Saying Adblock Plus ruined your system is bound to get some (mostly negative) attention. :p I used Adblock Plus for years (and I still do on Android) and I've NEVER heard of such an issue.