CyanogenMod

Well, it is the most used and well known custom ROM available. Yes it is good, and yes it works on the LG G2, although the Verizon version suffers from occasional reboots and SODs.

I installed it on a Samsung tablet and found it to be quite buggy, you might have different results on that phone though.

If anything, try it out, it's not hard to revert back to stock. :)

I use it on my Galaxy S3; some of the Google apps (like Maps) seem to crash quite often, but I haven't had any issues with other apps. I'd recommend it to those unsatisfied with the state of the manufacturer provided OS (as is the case for me with Samsung).

I use it on my Galaxy S3; some of the Google apps (like Maps) seem to crash quite often, but I haven't had any issues with other apps. I'd recommend it to those unsatisfied with the state of the manufacturer provided OS (as is the case for me with Samsung).

The problem is, there are tons of packaged GApps that you can install, you just have to find the right one. Usually it's best to check the the dedicated thread at XDA to see which package is recommended for that particular ROM.

Really, the only time you should start seeing a lot of bugs is when your phone hasn't been officially updated for a few major Android releases meaning there are no official hardware drivers for that particular OS version.

I use CyanogenMod on both my phone (HTC One X) and tablet (Nexus 7 2013) and I have no problems with speed, crashes, or bugs on either. It's very stable in my case.

CyanogenMod is great if you want to bring the vanilla android experience to your phone with some really nice additional feature. You should be able to use it on your G2 after you unlock your bootloader, install ClockworkMod Recovery and then flash CyanogenMod. I use a custom version of it on every android device I use and highly recommend it. You wont regret it.

Carbon FTW.

Carbon turned my slow laggy freezy crashy frustrating S3 Mini into a decent quick phone with fairly decent battery life (ie goes for more than a day even with heavy use). Totally stable too. Includes more features than CM including some better CPU and I/O management - which makes for better peformance and better battery. 

http://carbon-rom.com

I have a Nexus 5 and I prefer stock over CM. I used to have CM on my Nexus 4 but we're still early in the developpment for the N5 so there's still a lot of missing features.

For now, CM just doesn't give me any extras to warrant a switch. I am very happy with stock 4.4.2.

• Like 1

not sure about your particular phone and what features may or may not work on it however, as a general rule of thumb. Cyanogenmod is amazing and i would always recommend it.

It's great if you want to use features unique to it (see here for a list). It's also compatible with the LG G2. The downside is battery life. Generally, you're going to get worse battery life coming from a custom version of Android that's highly optimized for your device. It means you won't be getting ~25 hours of talk time with your LG G2. The battery life difference when it comes to web browsing and video playback should remain roughly the same. Here's a battery test for the Oppo N1 running its custom version of Android called Color OS. And here's a battery test of the Oppo N1 with CyanogenMod.

It's great if you want to use features unique to it (see here for a list). It's also compatible with the LG G2. The downside is battery life. Generally, you're going to get worse battery life coming from a custom version of Android that's highly optimized for your device. It means you won't be getting ~25 hours of talk time with your LG G2. The battery life difference when it comes to web browsing and video playback should remain roughly the same. Here's a battery test for the Oppo N1 running its custom version of Android called Color OS. And here's a battery test of the Oppo N1 with CyanogenMod.

I get just as good battery life with CM 11 installed than when I had it stock.

I can only speak for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus & Nexus 7 (original 8gb), but love it over stock rom.

Rooted which allows me to rip out a lot of google apps I don't want (Google Plus being the big one).

I'll get Andriod 4.4 via CM on the nexus where Google doesn't support and won't have an official 4.4 (last being 4.3).

I like there Privacy Guard which makes it easy to control / override apps permission on the device.

It runs smooth, have not had glitches / crashes (using current stable) on both devices. 

Can't tell on the tablet, but on the phone feels like I get better battery life (but this could be also removing via root any app I don't want running in the background all the time)

• 4 weeks later...

Just recently ditched CM11.  To many random reboots and system lock ups.  I had several in one day.  I would think CM with as popular as they are would of fixed it.  But I finally got tired of it.   Earlier 11 builds were pretty solid but they have gotten real crappy.  Had same issues on my other devices running CM11.  I hadnt used CM since before one of the last CM10 builds.  Tried CM10 then CM11 and things started off well.  Then I remembered why I used other ROMs since my MyTouch 3g.  As soon as CM started getting popular and support for more devices, it just has not been as stable.

Switched to the Carbon Fiber ROM.  So far, only a couple lockups at first boot and while restoring my apps.  After that, it is golden.  Been running it for a day and no random reboots either. Runs just as good and has just as good battery life.

I installed CyanogenMod and i had no Sound, my Phone wasn't able to call anyone (phone app crashed) and my Cam crashed. A few years back, i also had similiar problems with CyanogenMod making my System unstable and causing the Camera Apps to only show Black pictures.

I switched back to the official stock rom now.

CyanogenMod has never released a build of their rom where everything works as it would on a stock rom dating back to the ogevo days, camera issues, Bluetooth, data issues, etc etc its nothing more than a hype machine and much of the android developer community is keeping their distance from team cm and moving to other roms.

Started having sods like crazy on the Carbon Fiber ROM as well.  Seems to be an issue with 4.4 ROMs apparently.  I am trying a new kernal, peak 6, and so far things are more responsive on CM11.  Only been running it for 30min or so but I would of had issues already with the stock CM11 kernel.  Turned on/off my phone a dozen times to test and no sods.  So hopefully that helped but who knows.  If not, I will got back to a 4.3.1 ROM until KK is officially released for the Verizon LG G2.

You will lose root when flashing a new kernel so make sure you have the superuser zip to reflash.

Started having sods like crazy on the Carbon Fiber ROM as well.  Seems to be an issue with 4.4 ROMs apparently.  I am trying a new kernal, peak 6, and so far things are more responsive on CM11.  Only been running it for 30min or so but I would of had issues already with the stock CM11 kernel.  Turned on/off my phone a dozen times to test and no sods.  So hopefully that helped but who knows.  If not, I will got back to a 4.3.1 ROM until KK is officially released for the Verizon LG G2.

You will lose root when flashing a new kernel so make sure you have the superuser zip to reflash.

New kernel seems to have done the trick so far.  Only 1 SOD from the time I posted my quoted text till now.  Before, I would have several within an hour.  And if this continues to work as it should, then a big ###### to CM and their team for letting a problem like this plague multiple devices and not resolving it.

I only get maybe 1 SOD every couple days... Always on the latest nightly. Some nightlies have been worse than others, of course, but the past few weeks have all been pretty good for me (except for the one that boot looped for everybody).