Photo

CyanogenMod

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 max22

max22

Neowinian

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:25

Is it any good ? Will it work on a LG G2?

#2 Jeston

Jeston

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:31

Well, it is the most used and well known custom ROM available. Yes it is good, and yes it works on the LG G2, although the Verizon version suffers from occasional reboots and SODs.

#3 Marshall

Marshall

▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:36

I installed it on a Samsung tablet and found it to be quite buggy, you might have different results on that phone though.

If anything, try it out, it's not hard to revert back to stock. :)

#4 +virtorio

virtorio

4089 III

• Tech Issues Solved: 11
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy SIII

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:39

I use it on my Galaxy S3; some of the Google apps (like Maps) seem to crash quite often, but I haven't had any issues with other apps. I'd recommend it to those unsatisfied with the state of the manufacturer provided OS (as is the case for me with Samsung).

#5 Jeston

Jeston

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 13 February 2014 - 03:43

I use it on my Galaxy S3; some of the Google apps (like Maps) seem to crash quite often, but I haven't had any issues with other apps. I'd recommend it to those unsatisfied with the state of the manufacturer provided OS (as is the case for me with Samsung).

The problem is, there are tons of packaged GApps that you can install, you just have to find the right one. Usually it's best to check the the dedicated thread at XDA to see which package is recommended for that particular ROM.

Really, the only time you should start seeing a lot of bugs is when your phone hasn't been officially updated for a few major Android releases meaning there are no official hardware drivers for that particular OS version.

#6 +beanboy89

beanboy89

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Google Nexus 5

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:37

I use CyanogenMod on both my phone (HTC One X) and tablet (Nexus 7 2013) and I have no problems with speed, crashes, or bugs on either. It's very stable in my case.

#7 Mandosis

Mandosis

Je'daii Ranger

• Phone: Google Nexus 4

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:46

CyanogenMod is great if you want to bring the vanilla android experience to your phone with some really nice additional feature. You should be able to use it on your G2 after you unlock your bootloader, install ClockworkMod Recovery and then flash CyanogenMod. I use a custom version of it on every android device I use and highly recommend it. You wont regret it.

#8 james.faction

james.faction

Neowinian

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:49

Carbon FTW.

Carbon turned my slow laggy freezy crashy frustrating S3 Mini into a decent quick phone with fairly decent battery life (ie goes for more than a day even with heavy use). Totally stable too. Includes more features than CM including some better CPU and I/O management - which makes for better peformance and better battery. 

http://carbon-rom.com

#9 DKAngel

DKAngel

That i cannot own ....I shall destroy

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:28

i also use cm11 on my sgs3 just installed M3 and i have to admit its frigen awesome =] 

#10 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 13 February 2014 - 17:42

Is it any good ? Will it work on a LG G2?

Yes, works great on my LG G2.  I update every other day with their Nightlies releases.

#11 xplatinum

xplatinum

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 February 2014 - 14:33

I have a Nexus 5 and I prefer stock over CM. I used to have CM on my Nexus 4 but we're still early in the developpment for the N5 so there's still a lot of missing features.

For now, CM just doesn't give me any extras to warrant a switch. I am very happy with stock 4.4.2.

#12 +Lingwo

Lingwo

Neowinian Senior

Posted 14 February 2014 - 14:37

I used CyanogenMod on my Galaxy Tab 2.

It has improved nearly every aspect of my tablet over the old TouchWizUI.

It is amazing how crippled your phone/tablet get with TouchWiz.

#13 Geoffrey B.

Geoffrey B.

LittleNeutrino

• Tech Issues Solved: 7
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 928 WP8.1

Posted 14 February 2014 - 15:12

not sure about your particular phone and what features may or may not work on it however, as a general rule of thumb. Cyanogenmod is amazing and i would always recommend it.

#14 Yusuf M.

Yusuf M.

• Phone: OnePlus One 64GB

Posted 14 February 2014 - 15:38

It's great if you want to use features unique to it (see here for a list). It's also compatible with the LG G2. The downside is battery life. Generally, you're going to get worse battery life coming from a custom version of Android that's highly optimized for your device. It means you won't be getting ~25 hours of talk time with your LG G2. The battery life difference when it comes to web browsing and video playback should remain roughly the same. Here's a battery test for the Oppo N1 running its custom version of Android called Color OS. And here's a battery test of the Oppo N1 with CyanogenMod.

#15 +ChuckFinley

ChuckFinley

member_id=28229

Posted 14 February 2014 - 15:39

Install the CM11 M3 its excellent. 

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!