CyanogenMod

I only get maybe 1 SOD every couple days... Always on the latest nightly. Some nightlies have been worse than others, of course, but the past few weeks have all been pretty good for me (except for the one that boot looped for everybody).

You are lucky.  I was getting at least 5 sods an hour until I applied the Paek kernel. Now it is stable.  Last few nightlies the APN bug appeared.  Annoying so I went back to M4 for now.

SlimRom rules them all !

I've tried many many different roms.

A lot of people don't even use custom roms now though, you can get the same features using Xposed Framework and a rooted stock rom.

define "a lot of people" because development of custom roms is still strong I don't get where you get your basis from. Xposed it too hacky for my liking and it doesn't run on ART so no go for us on the bleeding edge

You are lucky.  I was getting at least 5 sods an hour until I applied the Paek kernel. Now it is stable.  Last few nightlies the APN bug appeared.  Annoying so I went back to M4 for now.

I know. Seems like the XDA community is split pretty evenly with those that get constant sods and reboots, and those of us who only get them occasionally. I really hope it gets more stable when 4.4 is officially released for it.

I really hope it gets more stable when 4.4 is officially released for it.

Part of the problem for me.  I have the LG G2 and 4.4 has not officially been released.  But I would figure if others coulds resolve the issue with a diff kernel, CM could as well.

Up until a month or so ago, I wasnt getting any SODs at all.

CyanogenMod has never released a build of their rom where everything works as it would on a stock rom dating back to the ogevo days, camera issues, Bluetooth, data issues, etc etc its nothing more than a hype machine and much of the android developer community is keeping their distance from team cm and moving to other roms.

You think so? i've always found CM builds to be extremely stable on my old HTC Desire and current Galaxy Nexus.

You think so? i've always found CM builds to be extremely stable on my old HTC Desire and current Galaxy Nexus.

Older devices, very stable.  But he past few years since CM has been getting bigger/more popular...they have been having more and more problems.

stable doesnt necessarily mean everything works like it should

• 3 weeks later...

So I bit the bullet today and installed the CM11 ROM based off the 4.4.2 leaked OTA and it's pretty amazing. It's a lot of work to get it installed, but it's rock solid when you finally do. No SODs or freezing and seems a good deal snappier. It's finally what I've been expecting CyanogenMod to be.

awesome. that's nice to hear man. I'm running CM11 nightlies on my end, how does the stability compare? I wouldn't mind checking it out..

So I bit the bullet today and installed the CM11 ROM based off the 4.4.2 leaked OTA and it's pretty amazing. It's a lot of work to get it installed, but it's rock solid when you finally do. No SODs or freezing and seems a good deal snappier. It's finally what I've been expecting CyanogenMod to be.

You on the latest Nightlies?

I didnt have issues for a long time and hte past several builds, tons a SODs per hour, APN issues where I could not sent/receive MMS messages, and a few others.  I  went back to the M4 release and a different kernel.  Only one freeze/SOD every few days or so intead of 10 per hour.

I have a Nexus 5 and I prefer stock over CM. I used to have CM on my Nexus 4 but we're still early in the developpment for the N5 so there's still a lot of missing features.

For now, CM just doesn't give me any extras to warrant a switch. I am very happy with stock 4.4.2.

I am in the same boat - I have a Nexus 5 and before I got it i thought the first thing I would do is root it and put CM on - however I've not felt the need to yet

Is it any good ? Will it work on a LG G2?

CM11 development for LG G2 has somewhat been abandoned. That's what I read on xda forums. Current builds have issues like Random Reboots (RR) and Sleep of Death (SOD). Actually all CM/AOSP based ROMS for LG G2 have these same 2 issues. Even the sound quality is not as good as stock 4.4.2 LG ROMS. 

So right now it's not worth it. It maybe worthwhile after a few months.

CM11 development for LG G2 has somewhat been abandoned. That's what I read on xda forums. Current builds have issues like Random Reboots (RR) and Sleep of Death (SOD). Actually all CM/AOSP based ROMS for LG G2 have these same 2 issues. Even the sound quality is not as good as stock 4.4.2 LG ROMS. 

So right now it's not worth it. It maybe worthwhile after a few months.

Have not heard it has been abandoned.  Just people saying there will be less issues when Verizon finally releases KK officially for the G2.  CM still updates and patches issues with CM for the G2.  Seems most of the SOD issues are related to Verizon.

If anyone wants to cure their SODs, RR, and other issues...install a different kernel.  I used Paek V6 ATM and pretty much cured all my issues with CM11.

You on the latest Nightlies?

I didnt have issues for a long time and hte past several builds, tons a SODs per hour, APN issues where I could not sent/receive MMS messages, and a few others.  I  went back to the M4 release and a different kernel.  Only one freeze/SOD every few days or so intead of 10 per hour.

I was on the latest nightly before switching over. The latest unofficial cm11 build using the files from the leaked OTA is from the April 5 source.

Also, the dev for the official nightlies does seem to be MIA. I wouldn't call it abandoned yet, but he hasn't made any posts regarding cm11 (or anything at all) on the forums, Google+, or Twitter in several months. That's pretty much why everyone assumes all these bugs are still around, like the roaming bug.

I was on the latest nightly before switching over. The latest unofficial cm11 build using the files from the leaked OTA is from the April 5 source.

Unoffical seem pretty stable then?  Hows the performance/battery?  And do you have a link to the unoffical page for cm11?  The one I am looking at was last updated in March.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2559920

CM is just to big now.  Especially with their new phone.  More bugs than ever.

EDIT 

I saw the link for the update above.  I didnt want to have to go through all that hassle of installing that.  Dont have the time.  Was hoping the offical CM11 release would be updated soon so I can just flash the update.  Went from 4.3.1 to 4.4 without much trouble.

Unoffical seem pretty stable then?  Hows the performance/battery?

CM is just to big now.  Especially with their new phone.  More bugs than ever.

Yeah, it's been rock solid so far. Battery life is at least as good as official cm, which for me has been more than adequate, don't have any hard numbers for you though.

If you have an hour or so to spare, it's totally worth getting to this build. The basic steps are as follows:

1) Use the LG flash tool to flash a stock 11a rom (wipes everything, including sdcard)

2) Take OTA to 12b

3) Root

4) Use adb commands to force update to leaked 24a update (stop here if you want stock 24a)

5) Flash exploitable aboot, boot, and laf partition

6) Flash recovery

7) Flash unofficial cm11 build

8) Enjoy knowing for sure when you tap your screen, your phone will greet you

It's worth noting however, that trying to go back to older roms (say official cm builds) from this rom takes a few extra steps too. Anything that isn't built with the 24a update images is going to be problematic as they're all using 12b basebands and such. There's also an easy to follow video walk through for the hardest part (getting to stock 24a) here.

Yeah, it's been rock solid so far. Battery life is at least as good as official cm, which for me has been more than adequate, don't have any hard numbers for you though.

If you have an hour or so to spare, it's totally worth getting to this build. The basic steps are as follows:

1) Use the LG flash tool to flash a stock 11a rom (wipes everything, including sdcard)

2) Take OTA to 12b

3) Root

4) Use adb commands to force update to leaked 24a update (stop here if you want stock 24a)

6) Flash recovery

It's worth noting however, that trying to go back to older roms (say official cm builds) from this rom takes a few extra steps too. Anything that isn't built with the 24a update images is going to be problematic as they're all using 12b basebands and such. There's also an easy to follow video walk through for the hardest part (getting to stock 24a) here.

Thanks for the info.  May try when I have the time.  Hopefully CM11 will be updated soon so I can just flash a new ROM in recovery.

2) Take OTA to 12b

3) Root

6) Flash recovery

8) Enjoy knowing for sure when you tap your screen, your phone will greet you

Anyone looking to apply the leaked 4.4.2 OTA for the Verizon LG G2, just follow the guides Jeston posted here.  It is time consuming and it is recommended to download all the required files first.  One file is 2gb in size and the site/mirrors are slow.  So takes a while to download.

I am running the 4.4.2 OTA and all is well so far.  But to early to say ATM.