Second Danish zoo plans to kill young giraffe to stop inbreeding

Not again!

Despite the death threats and worldwide disgust when the Copenhagen Zoo in Denmark killed 2-year-old giraffe Marius to prevent inbreeding on Sunday, Feb. 9, a second zoo in the country plans to kill a giraffe -- and says it?s in the animal?s best interest.

The second giraffe, coincidentally also named Marius, lives at the Danish Jyllands Park Zoo. To make room for a female giraffe it plans to acquire, the zoo plans to put down its 7-year-old male, balancing out genders in the facility.

?We can't have two males and one female. Then there will be fights,? zoo keeper Janni Lojtved Poulsen told Danish news agency Ritzau. ?If the breeding program coordinator decides that he should be put down, then that's what we'll do,? Poulsen said.

The first Marius was killed because his genes were already well represented in the European Association of Zoos and Aquaria, which aims to maintain biodiversity and didn?t want an excess of similar genes. Despite an online petition arguing that the zoo should spare his life, Marius was shot in the head -- according to European zoo-keeping guidelines -- before being butchered and fed to lions.

Will the second Marius face a similar fate? It might be possible for the zoo to find another place for the giraffe to live, Reuters reportedexternal-link.png, but the probability of that is small. Like the first Marius, the Jyllands Park giraffe is considered unsuitable for breeding.

Poulsen defended the zoo?s plans, despite the widespread disgust of animal lovers.

?Many places abroad where they do not do this, the animals live under poor conditions, and they are not allowed to breed either. We don't think that's OK,? she said.

The Jyllands Park Zoo has not said whether it will have a public dissection of its Marius similar to the one held at the Copenhagen Zoo.

The watchdog group Animal Rights Sweden said the plight of Marius underscores what it believes zoos do to animals regularly.

"It is no secret that animals are killed when there is no longer space, or if the animals don't have genes that are interesting enough," the group said in a statement. "The only way to stop this is to not visit zoos."

"When the cute animal babies that attract visitors grow up, they are not as interesting anymore.?

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2014/02/13/second-danish-zoo-plans-to-kill-young-giraffe-to-stop-inbreeding/

Hope all the other giraffes are listening....time to change your name from Marius to something else.

NSFW tag is because there is a video in the source that can be graphic.

they should call Jack Hannah, he already said from the last one that was killed that he would pay to bring any more to the USA so he could keep them in Zoo's here.

• Like 1

Isn't there an option to send it back to a native country in Africa?  Hell, they could put it up on Kickstarter, and I'm sure it would make the goal within a day.

Many zoo's offered to take in the first giraffe they killed but they said it would be a waste of space for other zoo's to take it. I believe many people offered them money but still they turned it down. 

The outrage seems entirely misguided when millions of animals are slaughtered every week for human consumption. I mean, the staff at the zoo were receiving death threats. What the hell is wrong with people?

The outrage seems entirely misguided when millions of animals are slaughtered every week for human consumption. I mean, the staff at the zoo were receiving death threats. What the hell is wrong with people?

You are missing the point. Tons of buyers offered the zoo but the zoo refused. There were better solutions (reads: keep the young giraffe alive) but the zoo turned them all down. 

I see nothing wrong with the outrage. 

It's not an endangered species, why waste the money transporting it to another zoo, it has more use as lion meat. the whole save the giraffe crap is merely miguided PETA level animals are so cute and lovely crap. 

How come no one complains about the hundreds of elk or whatever that get killed to feed the lions every year ?

As for sending it back to Africa, it's a Zoo animal, it doesn't work. even with 1-2 years of rehab it would probably not work. 

You are missing the point. Tons of buyers offered the zoo but the zoo refused. There were better solutions (reads: keep the young giraffe alive) but the zoo turned them all down. 

What makes it a better option ? asting time money and pollution to transport a non endangered species instead of making him good use a lion meat ? 

And? I still don't see anything that would warrant such outrage. We're talking about a single animal here, one which would be preyed upon by lions and leopards in the wild. Heck, more healthy dogs and cats are put down on a daily basis, even by organisations like PETA which supposedly care about animals. The response is completely disproportionate. There's some serious cognitive dissonance going on here.

The animal will be killed humanely and the action is being taken in the best interests of the species. 

Being from Denmark, we heard a lot about the first Giraff. Bengt Holst - the Scientific Director of the Copenhagen Zoo - has explained multiple times why the first one had to die. First of all, they cant just send an animal like a giraff to some random zoo. They arent after money, so they dont want to give it to some rich dude or a zoo, that dont have the ability to handle it correctly. And the zoo from sweden (that was the only zoo outside the one from england - and they had to turn the offer down because of the genetics of their other giraffs) didnt actualy have the facility for a giraff.

All in all - Its just an animal. Its not animal abuse, its not an endangered species. Focus on problems thats worse - Like mink farming, all those poor pigs or the cows.

No, you're missing the point. First of all they can not simply sell the animal to the highest bidder such as Jack Hannah because they are not after money, and secondly they are apart of breeding program which prevents them from giving the Giraffe to other Zoo's.

"Why doesn't Zoo send the giraffe to another zoo outside of the breeding program, or to someone else that wants a giraffe?

As mentioned it's only zoos that promise to abide by the rules apply to serious zoos, that can be part of the international breeding programs. For Europe this means, in practice, that this is zoos that are a member of the European Association of Zoos and Aquariums (EAZA), EAZA consists of more than 300 members.

We do not wish to include institutions that won't promise not to sell the animals later, or who does not work with the animals on scientific grounds, like EAZA members do, or who cannot keep the animals under acceptable conditions. In the international breeding programs the collaboration is done under full control and openly, and we can stand behind everything happening. We cannot if we include others, where we cannot guarantee that the animals aren't sold off shortly after being received to unacceptable places, this has unfortunately been seen on numerous occasions through time. We do not want this. So we only work with zoos that has the same values as us."

• Like 1

Agreed, like whaling in the Faroe Islands.

Don't know much about those, but I figure they follow the same rules and regulations as Norwegian whalers in the area. the whaling done there is done at a more than sustainable rate on non threatened whales. So the whales aren't extinct, they're killing less than are being born and they're killing humanely, more humanly than many other hunters with fairly advanced weaponry today. 

Another one of those stupid PETA things, same thing as the giraffe, they're big so they shouldn't be hunted... and whale meat is supposed to be really yummy, I'd buy some but I don't know how to cook it properly. 

Looks like my original suggestion is going to happen Jack Hanna has offered to buy the animal from them and have it shipped to Columbus Ohio. woot woot.

Source

Which is just a ridiculous waste of resources not to mention stress on the animal and the inherent problems with transporting giraffes due to their long necks. just putting them to sleep for medical attention can break their necks.

Which is just a ridiculous waste of resources not to mention stress on the animal and the inherent problems with transporting giraffes due to their long necks. just putting them to sleep for medical attention can break their necks.

What do you have against giraffes? What did they ever do to you?  I also don't see why you are so engrossed in this.. it's not your money.. hell it's not even in your country.

?Many places abroad where they do not do this, the animals live under poor conditions, and they are not allowed to breed either. We don't think that's OK,? she said.

Their reasoning is essentially: What is the point of living if you can't have sex?

Isn't there an option to send it back to a native country in Africa?  Hell, they could put it up on Kickstarter, and I'm sure it would make the goal within a day.

You know I thought of that too, but then I realized by sending the giraffe back to Africa there is probably a good chance it'd get eaten by a wild predator anyway... especially if it's been in a zoo its whole life. Is it worth the cost of doing so?

In the meantime, entire freakin ecosystems containing billions of animals and lifeforms are burned and rased to produce palm oil, biofuel, etc., and few people even bother to learn what they can do to help prevent it. No, that's not worth fighting for, but let's protest for the single poor giraffe! Look how it's getting eaten by lions, ewww!

Gosh the stupidity.

Wanna do something for wildlife? Stop buying products made with unsustainable palm oil and biofuels. The giraffe in the zoo is completely insignificant.

• Like 3