• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jnelsoninjax

jnelsoninjax

A custom title? Cool!

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy Exhibit SGH-T599N

Posted 13 February 2014 - 19:33

Is it possible to do dual boot with Win 7 and Win 8? What would I need to do for this to work?

#2 Sszecret

Sszecret

Neowinian

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 800

Posted 13 February 2014 - 19:36

I've been doing it since the Win8 CP. Basically install each OS on a separate partition. Done.

Edit : For some odd reason, if 7 is set as the default OS in msconfig, the screen where you choose OSes appears and the system boots fine whatever option you choose. If 8 is set as default and you choose 7 to boot into, it needs to restart and then it'll work. 

#3 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 February 2014 - 19:39

You need to install Windows 7 on one hard drive/partition first, then install Windows 8 on a second hard drive/partition last. Otherwise, the operating systems won't "see" each other.

#4 John.D

John.D

Neowinian

Posted 13 February 2014 - 19:49

Yup, I'm dual booting WIn7 and 8.1 here. On one hdd but on 2 partitions (the hdd is partitioned into 4). And yup, after you've installed both, if you select Win7, it'll reboot then boot.

One thing I did notice tho, is if you select Win7 as the default OS, the Win7 boot menu (black screen) didn't always come up.

On here, the Win8 screen came up. And, for some reason, when I did select Win7 as the default OS, Win7 couldn't find the adapter / the wireless (USB adapter - after a while) couldnt  connect to the router.

An X appeared on the wireless icon bar thing on the taskbar, everytime I booted into Win7

Don't know if changing Win7 to the default OS was the cause, but I had to uninstall the wireless adapter drivers. Somehow, something corrupted them. After reinstalling the wireless drivers, (and changing Win8 back to the default OS), everything was fine again

#5 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Way past cool.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 13 February 2014 - 19:51

The reason Windows 7 needs to "reboot" before booting is because of the differences in architecture, and because by the time you are prompted, Windows 8 is halfway loaded up.

#6 OP jnelsoninjax

jnelsoninjax

A custom title? Cool!

• Phone: Samsung Galaxy Exhibit SGH-T599N

Posted 13 February 2014 - 19:53

Okay, so it is as simple as just installing win8 and going from there?

#7 John.D

John.D

Neowinian

Posted 13 February 2014 - 20:15

Yup then after that you should get a menu to select Win8 or 7 to boot into. Just make sure you install it to a separate partition

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!