PlayStation 4 dominates Xbox One in January with 'nearly double' the US sales

I think the PS4 is just a superior machine for what I want and to me personally, pricing was not the reason why I went with it first.  I am not sure if pricing has more to do with the sales or the fact that people do not find the features of X1 worth the extra cost.

Well since we don't know why, you can insert whatever theory you think fits best.

Whatever the reason, right now the shift is clearly in Sony's favor.

Insteading of bumping the TR topic will just post this here

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/434104116193685504

Not really shocking considering the ps4 has hit nearly double the sales worldwide of the X1. Plus, you have the huge explosion surrounding the quality difference on each console.

Insteading of bumping the TR topic will just post this here

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/434104116193685504

How would Sony know, especially with NPD not including digital sales, and that's MS is focusing and a lot of people are buying digital in preparation for them re-introducing the digital family sharing. 

Not really shocking considering the ps4 has hit nearly double the sales worldwide of the X1. Plus, you have the huge explosion surrounding the quality difference on each console.

Errr, no it hasn't, it has sold "nearly" twice as much from retail outlets in ONE month, a month that traditionally has very low sales in anything. before that the sales where pretty close according to the real numbers released by both companies(NPD numbers don't count internet sales and several other factors).

So he gap isn't nearly what you think. and in the same vein NPD are missing a significant chunk of the sales of Tomb Raider for both platforms, but I think we can at this point safely say that PS buyers are more likely to by physical than Xbox buyers. 

supply constraint even now exist with PS4 not just on dec but it managed to double sales in US where xbox use to be the king

game stop only have their stock on jan 24th and it sold out very quickly

http://www.examiner.com/article/ps4-stock-issue-and-xbox-one-competition-discussed-by-sony

here is one post where the stock just came up yesterday on amazon 

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1200463-psa-amazon-now-has-ps4s-back-in-stock/

I know Best Buy I believe only had PS4s in stock on the 19th of January. They've been doing instances on Sunday mornings where people line up for the PS4, tickets go out at 8am, store opens and people walk in and pick up / purchase their PS4. Apparently, Vitas have been hard to find too. I don't care for the cameras, but I noticed the PS4 camera has been hard to find as well. They had quite a few around Christmas time just hanging on the shelves, then they mysteriously got all bought up. :s

Anyway, it's a given that January is usually a slower month, but considering one company isn't selling because of supply constraints while the other has loads on the shelf, it's a bit curious as to why MS didn't dominate this month as well in the US. They do have a better game line up right now too, and I truly expected them to continue dominating US sales since it's their area of focus.

You can sit around dismissing it with all the "HURR DURR BET XBOX SOLD 5 AND PS4 PROBABLY SOLD 9! ALMOST DOUBLE!!" but I still don't see how they could be slacking. :/

You can sit around dismissing it with all the "HURR DURR BET XBOX SOLD 5 AND PS4 PROBABLY SOLD 9! ALMOST DOUBLE!!" but I still don't see how they could be slacking. :/

Well there are lots of theories, pick your favorite:

1. Price

2. Rejection of Kinect

3. Game preference

4. Anger over DRM

5. Less interest in MS products of any kind.

6. Poor reaction to the dashboard ui/ quality of features

7. Poor reaction to X1 PR/messaging (i.e. the ps4 sounds more gaming focused) or reduced gpu power vs the ps4

Of course, none of these can really be confirmed, so it would just be a choice to set your mind at ease. It could be something completely different, or it could be several of these.

PS4 has had supply constraint since it was released, it still does. Total global sales aren't close either Xbox One has sold over 3 Million Units while the PS4 has sold over 5 Million Units.

I think the PS4 will do fair bit better than the PS3 and also Japan is a huge market for Sony. Almost 10 million PS3's were sold in Japan alone.

yeah but 10 million out of 80 million is not that big a percentage.  It's better than nothing obviously and probably 10x what Xbox brand does and will do but overall it doesn't change the fact that Japan isn't really a console market anymore.

Well there are lots of theories, pick your favorite:

1. Price

2. Rejection of Kinect

3. Game preference

4. Anger over DRM

5. Less interest in MS products of any kind.

6. Poor reaction to the dashboard ui/ quality of features

7. Poor reaction to X1 PR/messaging (i.e. the ps4 sounds more gaming focused) or reduced gpu power vs the ps4

Of course, none of these can really be confirmed, so it would just be a choice to set your mind at ease. It could be something completely different, or it could be several of these.

+More powerful console

+Better controller

+Better graphics

+Online media isn't behind a paywall.

+Prefer PS exclusives

+PS Plus (Free games and offers)

+Remote Play via Vita

+UI is lighter and faster

Quite a few reasons.

Don't be turning this into a console war topic. I didn't put my disclosure because it goes without saying, not because it's free for all.

One question.  Why is this not in the general section? 

One question.  Why is this not in the general section? 

I anticipated both companies releasing proper figures and thought MS could have their own topic, but they never released them.

Will move it now seeing as nobody else posted NPD news.

Does it actually matter?  

I see a lot of talk about the numbers, but really, who cares?  And if you do care, why do you care?

Well that's an interesting point... so I guess my purchases don't count in these statistics. :(

Console isn't a digital purchase, only the games sold are affected by digital sales.

I would reply and point out a couple of things, but Andy says to not go there, so I wont.

There is nothing for you to add to the topic, you merely posted reasons that suggested that people only bought the PS4 because they dislike Xbox and/or Microsoft. I personally don't and I bought a PS4 cause its more of what I wanted, I'm guessing majority of PS4 owners are the same and I listed other reasons as to why. If you really feel like your original post was correct and people only bought the PS4 because they dislike/hate Microsoft products then I'd suggest you follow andy's advice and move on.

Console isn't a digital purchase, only the games sold are affected by digital sales.

I believe he was referring to his game purchases.

There is nothing for you to add to the topic, you merely posted reasons that suggested that people only bought the PS4 because they dislike Xbox and/or Microsoft. I personally don't and I bought a PS4 cause its more of what I wanted, I'm guessing majority of PS4 owners are the same and I listed other reasons as to why. If you really feel like your original post was correct and people only bought the PS4 because they dislike/hate Microsoft products then I'd suggest you follow andy's advice and move on.

Nothing for me to add to the topic?  Sorry, I suggest you take Andy's advice as well.

Try not to jump to so many conclusions about what I was going to say. It was actually to expand on your points becuase they were good.  But no, assume I'm something worse. You have a real problem with that.

Does it actually matter?  

I see a lot of talk about the numbers, but really, who cares?  And if you do care, why do you care?

Does it actually matter that a company making a product is able to sell it? Umm, I think that is practically the linchpin of capitalism. It's bad news if you go to all of the trouble of making a product and no one wants to buy it.

I'm sure the people who make the product care a hell of a lot about the sales of the product. As an avid gamer and consumer I care because strong sales suggests to me that the company will be more willing to invest in the platform. Additionally, it is interesting to know just how large the appetite for consoles still is. You know, considering all of the "console are dead" talk?

• Like 3

Does it actually matter that a company making a product is able to sell it? Umm, I think that is practically the linchpin of capitalism. It's bad news if you go to all of the trouble of making a product and no one wants to buy it.

I'm sure the people who make the product care a hell of a lot about the sales of the product. As an avid gamer and consumer I care because strong sales suggests to me that the company will be more willing to invest in the platform. Additionally, it is interesting to know just how large the appetite for consoles still is. You know, considering all of the "console are dead" talk?

Oh.  So Sony and MS care.  Of course.

But why does it matter to regular Joe?  Who cares?  It means nothing.  Buy the one you like, or buy both.  Why do the figures matter.  All it does is get the stupid fanboys in a huff.