Photo

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

#MalcolmYoungStayStrong

• Tech Issues Solved: 7

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:21

Voice of Master Chief confirms Halo 2 Anniversary, says Halo 5 won't release this year

Posted by: Tate Steinlage

article_post_width_open-uri20120229-1230

Halo fans may not be able to continue the fight with Halo 5 in 2014, but Master Chief looks like he will still have a presence on Xbox consoles this year.

In an interview that will publish soon on GameZone, Steve Downes, the long-time voice of Master Chief, told us we shouldn’t expect to see Halo 5 in 2014, but that the series will still see at least one release this year.

Downes did not clarify if 343 Industries will be the ones developing the game or what consoles the edition will be coming to.

“I think you may be ahead of yourself on Halo 5,” Downes said. “I wouldn’t expect anything until 2015. What you can look forward to this year is an anniversary edition of Halo 2.”

This year marks the 10-year anniversary of Halo 2, a game many still believe helped define Xbox LIVE on Microsoft’s original gaming console. Recent reports have echoed what Downes tells us, but this seems to be the first piece of solid evidence yet.

Be sure to check back in with GameZone in the coming days to see our full interview with Master Chief himself, Steve Downes.

http://www.gamezone....lease-this-year

:woot:

#2 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 4

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:26

grr, give me Halo 5!

#3 kaotic

kaotic

Neowinian

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:28

grr, give me Halo 5!

Same. I don't care about a game I've already put hundreds of hours into. I want new content and story.

#4 LaP

LaP

Forget about it

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:31

Anyone really thought or still think Halo 5 gonna be released this year ???

#5 OP Andrew G.

Andrew G.

#MalcolmYoungStayStrong

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:32

Word online is Certain Affinity are handling the port this time (they did HCEA MP), so that means 343 hasn't been delayed per se. It actually follows Bungie's schedule with their first release onto 360. The one difference I could see is Halo 5 being a Q1/2 release for a change since they'll have had more than 2 years to work on it. Guess it depends how much they get done without MS pushing it out the door.

#6 OP Andrew G.

Andrew G.

#MalcolmYoungStayStrong

Posted 14 February 2014 - 20:52

Microsoft have asked GameZone to retract their interview and confirmation of Halo 2 Anniversary lol

UPDATE: Regarding the recent Halo 2 Anniversary and Halo 5 confirmation

It's certainly been a busy Friday here in the GameZone office. Yesterday afternoon we posted a snippet of an interview with Master Chief voice actor Steve Downs (the full interview has now been posted in full and can be read here) confirming the release of Halo 2 Anniversary later this year, with Halo 5 not arriving until 2015. As you can imagine, this sort of thing spread like crazy. And it didn't take long for Microsoft to contact us, asking us to retract the statement and post a new one -- one that they claim is what Downes really said to us.

Of course, having the original email and interview on file, we know what Downes originally said. And it isn't the new statement that is being published today.

The new statement, which Microsoft is under the impression Downes told us, reads: "I think you're ahead of yourself on H5.  I have read some things on line that you can look forward to a H2 anniversary edition maybe this year,  but  I have no official information one way or the other."

Keep in mind, that's not what was originally told to us. And we have the original emails to back it up. Needless to say, we're confident in the interview that we posted.

In a follow-up email containing his new response, Downes wrote to us, "It sounds like I was "confirming" [an] H2A edition, which I most certainly was not. I'm in no position to do that as I have no knowledge of it.  I was only mentioning what  I had seen on line about it."

So why are we saying all of this?

Because we stand by the original quote that was published. By issuing a new statement today, one that Downes is claiming he told us, it casts doubt and confusion among readers. I understand why he would backtrack in his statements -- Microsoft has yet to actually announce anything and a leak like this is huge. So I get it; he's probably feeling the heat. Or maybe he really did misunderstand the question. But we also feel the need to defend ourselves, especially when new statements distort our image as being honest.

For what it's worth, we have spoken with Microsoft and have been going back-and-forth regarding the leak. They respect our decision to stand by the original quote and offered this statement:

"We can confirm your next “Halo” journey will begin in 2014, but beyond that we don’t have any details to share at this time.”

Based on the feedback we've heard and seen online, Microsoft would be smart to release Halo 2 Anniversary for Xbox One. A lot of people have claimed they'd actually go out and purchase an Xbox One just to get it.

http://www.gamezone....-5-confirmation

Just come out and announce it, the cat's been out the bag for weeks. Going to a lot of effort for nothing here.

#7 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 14 February 2014 - 22:02

Microsoft have asked GameZone to retract their interview and confirmation of Halo 2 Anniversary lol

http://www.gamezone....-5-confirmation

Just come out and announce it, the cat's been out the bag for weeks. Going to a lot of effort for nothing here.

The whole point is to hold announcements like this for the gaming related events throughout the year.

MS gets pretty messed up by this leak, but they can still hold the reveal until the event they had planned to show it at. 

Its hard to keep a secret these days.

#8 OP Andrew G.

Andrew G.

#MalcolmYoungStayStrong

Posted 14 February 2014 - 22:10

The whole point is to hold announcements like this for the gaming related events throughout the year.

MS gets pretty messed up by this leak, but they can still hold the reveal until the event they had planned to show it at. 

Its hard to keep a secret these days.

Oh I know they were saving it, maybe even for PAX but most likely E3. At this stage it's not surprising anyone though so I just think they should confirm it and leave the trailer until the time they originally picked.

Chasing up a website though is just uncalled for, especially when Steve is the one who blabbed. We already know they're on a manhunt for the original leaker. What they hope to achieve is beyond me; more bad press is just a stone throw away. They should have stuck to their usual "MS doesn't confirm or discuss rumours" line. Or do what Activision did when BO2 leaked.

#9 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 14 February 2014 - 22:25

Oh I know they were saving it, maybe even for PAX but most likely E3. At this stage it's not surprising anyone though so I just think they should confirm it and leave the trailer until the time they originally picked.

Chasing up a website though is just uncalled for, especially when Steve is the one who blabbed. We already know they're on a manhunt for the original leaker. What they hope to achieve is beyond me; more bad press is just a stone throw away. They should have stuck to their usual "MS doesn't confirm or discuss rumours" line. Or do what Activision did when BO2 leaked.

I think in this case, its only bad press if people decide to make it that.  Sounds like MS asked them to retract it, these guys explained why they would not, and MS dropped it.

#10 OP Andrew G.

Andrew G.

#MalcolmYoungStayStrong

Posted 14 February 2014 - 22:29

I think in this case, its only bad press if people decide to make it that.  Sounds like MS asked them to retract it, these guys explained why they would not, and MS dropped it.

It's the internet, give people an inch and they take a mile :p

#11 kaotic

kaotic

Neowinian

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:23

#12 GotBored

GotBored

Moved to NeoGAF

• Tech Issues Solved: 3
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:37

[img Removed]

Its a fake.

http://www.oxmonline.com/ - This is the official xbox magazine website.

#13 kaotic

kaotic

Neowinian

Posted 15 February 2014 - 04:58

Its a fake.

http://www.oxmonline.com/ - This is the official xbox magazine website.

ok

#14 Anthony Tosie

Anthony Tosie

Neowinian

Posted 15 February 2014 - 06:10

Word online is Certain Affinity are handling the port this time (they did HCEA MP), so that means 343 hasn't been delayed per se. It actually follows Bungie's schedule with their first release onto 360. The one difference I could see is Halo 5 being a Q1/2 release for a change since they'll have had more than 2 years to work on it. Guess it depends how much they get done without MS pushing it out the door.

I haven't seen anything indicating that it's solely Certain Affinity doing the remake. Are you referring to something specific that's been stated online?

#15 The_Decryptor

The_Decryptor

STEAL THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:39

Certain Affinity was responsible for making the multiplayer maps, while Sabre Interactive did the porting work of the singleplayer component. Same thing will probably happen with H2A.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!