WZOR Talks About Windows (Codename) 9, Is a DP Imminent?

I don't think we should look at 9 and threshold as two different versions, that's not what it sounds like to me.  I doubt they want to stick with the 8.x branding at this point, it's just marked like how Vista was and can't be fixed.   I think they're the same, or are going to be the same.  I also expect a update 2 for 8.1 and that's it, no update 3 etc.

We can toss out rumors all day but for now that's what I'm personally expecting from MS, Update 2, preview of threshold/9 and then a RTM/GA of it in Spring 2015.

I don't think we should look at 9 and threshold as two different versions, that's not what it sounds like to me.  I doubt they want to stick with the 8.x branding at this point, it's just marked like how Vista was and can't be fixed.   I think they're the same, or are going to be the same.  I also expect a update 2 for 8.1 and that's it, no update 3 etc.

We can toss out rumors all day but for now that's what I'm personally expecting from MS, Update 2, preview of threshold/9 and then a RTM/GA of it in Spring 2015.

That's what I was expecting.

Update 2 this summer

Preview of Win 9 in the fall

Win 9 in Q2 2015

Where I was assuming Win 9 = Threshold

That's what I was expecting.

Update 2 this summer

Preview of Win 9 in the fall

Win 9 in Q2 2015

Where I was assuming Win 9 = Threshold

Yeah, I honestly don't think they want to stay with 8.x branding wise, and just move on.  This is why I don't think we're ever going to see an 8.2 or 8.5 or w/e.    Just move on to 9 with the different SKU defaults like has been rumored (desktop systems default to desktop with new menu while touch devices default to metro 2.0 without desktop or a hidden desktop).

Actually this was translated by a Russian speaker on MDL, Super User.

Personally, I think the first paragraph (before the also) is BS.

Yup:

- Update2 consists of 3 packs: feature pack, servicing pack, and hotfix pack, just wait for release and see the new features that WZor claimed to be not present.

- Brandon Live already said Threshold is a Update to Win8.1, calling it win9 was "press/blogger's invention", we also saw the "running(i.e. not a mock-up)" start menu and windowed apps on a "Build 9600" lab build. I aware of suggestions that they were first developed on 9600 lab builds and will be added to Threshold after Build and become build 97xx that only started coding at that time - I am sorry, I just couldn't buy this theory, it's contradictory to what I know about Windows developments. :)

Yup:

- Update2 consists of 3 packs: feature pack, servicing pack, and hotfix pack, just wait for release and see the new features that WZor claimed to be not present.

- Brandon Live already said Threshold is a Update to Win8.1, calling it win9 was "press/blogger's invention", we also saw the "running(i.e. not a mock-up)" start menu and windowed apps on a "Build 9600" lab build. I aware of suggestions that they were first developed on 9600 lab builds and will be added to Threshold after Build and become build 97xx that only started coding at that time - I am sorry, I just couldn't buy this theory, it's contradictory to what I know about Windows developments. :)

And about the 2nd paragraph, it's probably a guess, because it is what most people think Microsoft would naturally do to prevent piracy, since they already provide upgrades through the Store, so Wzor could infer that activation in the Store is next.

Are we going to see a win9 build 9788 leak?

OK, here's the story: 2 days ago a PCBeta guy made a post(No Limits is a Chinese group with leak records)

BsAO8hVCMAA7cQZ.jpg:large

Last night, another PCBeta guy claimed that he got the emule link but no speed at that time:

http://bbs.pcbeta.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=1524875&pid=40818084

9788 X64 3.83GB , file name: en_windows_6_4_9788_0_x64_dvd_0000000.iso

As you know, these kind of things are hush-hush, it may end-up with no results, so, cross your fingers. :)

If the rumor about MS only handing out custom builds to people outside the core OS group is true then I don't think you'll get any leaks.  The second a build goes out, if they're as specific to users as it sounds then kiss your job bye bye and also you'd face charges as I'm betting there's NDAs that have to be signed as well.

This is apparently 'windows 9' leaked lol. It doesn't look very professional, not something Microsoft would do.

... snip ......

http://www.pcbeta.com/viewnews-66948-1.html

Nah, those are concept(aka fake) pics originated from some Russian site.

A Chinese OEM guy told me the Polish screen-shot(i.e. the 9788 shown in Neowin News) is real, and in some point in future it will show "Windows 8.2" ..... take it as rumor with the usual salt treatment. :)

A Chinese OEM guy told me the Polish screen-shot(i.e. the 9788 shown in Neowin News) is real, and in some point in future it will show "Windows 8.2" ..... take it as rumor with the usual salt treatment. :)

Oh ok. Well, the Polish screenshot is obviously real, but eMule is going to annoy a lot of people :D

I haven't heard that rumor.

New rumor is that Windows 9 is the new Windows xp.  Just thought I'd let everyone know. Or is it Windows 7.

I don't think many doubted that the polish shot is real but it also doesn't show us anything new, it's just the same old desktop we've seen for years already.  If they're going to show a new build screenshot how about show us something that's actually new in it instead of just the desktop and the build number?  

• Like 2

I don't think many doubted that the polish shot is real but it also doesn't show us anything new, it's just the same old desktop we've seen for years already.  If they're going to show a new build screenshot how about show us something that's actually new in it instead of just the desktop and the build number?  

Yeah agree, maybe the guy still couldn't figure out how to launch the buggy Start Menu, Windowed apps, Interactive tiles, etc, - if these were present in this early win8.2 prototype. :)

Some have said the "leaked" image of the new start menu is probably a shoop but could be close to what they have right now.

I expect a bigger change to the menu we're going to end up getting compared to what was shown at BUILD, we'll know in time though.

Some have said the "leaked" image of the new start menu is probably a shoop but could be close to what they have right now.

My friend told me the watermark is fake, and I also saw comments that the Pollish guy is a known troll, so no further comments based on this screen-shot. :)

This was posted in PCBeta News Blog said to be from their sources, it more or less co-incides with the bits and pieces of what I had been hearing.

Note that the win8.2 or 8.x refered in this blog is "Windows Threshold", since build 97xx of win9 is still a "very early build"(quoting my friend), it seems it all depends on win9 development, that Windows 8.x(WinThreshold) may or may not see the light of day. :)

http://www.pcbeta.com/viewnews-67084-1.html

screen1681.jpg

screen1681a.jpg

Some guys asked about win9 and Threshold, here's the small bit and pieces I know:

In WPC, MS claimed that they only have 14% market share in "all devices", and there is "big opportunity, big challenge", their weapon is "3 screens and 1 cloud" ecosystem, and the centre of this vision is Metro Screen as a unified home screen, so no, it's not going anywhere.

WinThreshold is actually some sort of Plan B, if on later win9 development stage, they find Start Menu and Windowed-Apps cannot go well with win9, then Win8.2(WinThreshold) will be released.

The name Threshold has nothing to do with a stupid virtual star in Halo game, it is just what it implies, it is at the door-steps, and cannot enter the win9 ecosystem.

No, I don't know Update2 build nos or has it RTM'ed, please ask those guys who know so much details on win9 or WinThreshold, they should know it. All I know if there was a Update2 release, there would be MSDN ISO's, and DISM will show a new base version.  :)

• Like 2

The name Threshold has nothing to do with a stupid virtual star in Halo game, it is just what it implies, it is at the door-steps, and cannot enter the win9 ecosystem.

Well if that is the case then I am disappointed.