Photo

WZOR Talks About Windows (Codename) 9, Is a DP Imminent?

win9

397 replies to this topic

#391 Studio384

Studio384

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Windows Phone 8.1 Update

Posted 25 August 2014 - 13:05

I'll have a post up, maybe tomorrow, with the changes to the watermark..build number is still in the 982X series but much closer to 9830 now.

Why tomorrow if today is a nice day too? :p

#392 George P

George P

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: HTC Windows Phone 8X

Posted 25 August 2014 - 14:43

We'll have to wait and see what they release, if anything, on September 30th.  The upgrade from build to build feature sounds interesting but even without that, if you got a technology preview of this, it should be upgradable to a newer build later on without the need to reinstall the whole thing.  I believe that's going to be the norm going forward, while in the past some times you've had to uninstall a preview and then install the final RTM version since they weren't upgradable. 

I still think threshold is going to turn out to be Windows 9 (for desktop/laptop x86 hardware).  What I'm not sure about is what they do when they have Windows Phone and "Windows" for tablets without a desktop which could/should be the same OS actually.  The Windows RT name is dead now, so they'll have to find something else and I doubt very highly that they'll just call it "Windows".   Heck we have Windows Phone for the Phone so maybe Windows Tablet or Touch for tablet/touch first devices?  Who knows what they're thinking at this point.

#393 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 25 August 2014 - 21:43

New Metro rumors for Threshold: :D  :D  :D

WinBeta.org, using unnamed sources, repeats previous rumors that desktop users of Threshold, which may or may not be released with the name Windows 9, will get a version of the Start menu that could be turned into something that looks like Windows 8's Start screen if the owner wants that experience. However, WinBeta claims that the desktop will be going away completely for certain devices that won't need it, such as touchscreen tablets that might demand a full Modern UI experience. If this is accurate, it will be interesting to see what the reaction will be from long time Windows users.

The same report also claims that the Modern UI in Threshold will have interactive live tiles, which is something that Microsoft Research was working on just a few months ago. WinBeta.org's story does say that the interactivity in Threshold won't be as "feature rich" as the one seen in the Microsoft Research effort.

A notification center and live folders may also be put into Threshold, according to the story, and it adds there will be more customization features for the Start screen.

More: http://www.wpcentral...ows-9-threshold

#394 Ian William

Ian William

"Thoron!"

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 25 August 2014 - 23:09

. . . WinBeta.org's story does say that the interactivity in Threshold won't be as "feature rich" as the one seen in the Microsoft Research effort.

. . . Seriously? This is one of the few things that I've actually seen that looks like it will have a lot of potential . . .

#395 chrisj1968

chrisj1968

copyrighted!! ©

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 25 August 2014 - 23:41

ok, I'm liking the start button and as a result generally Windows 9. As I've mentioned before, they can build something for everyone to love. call me old fashioned but I like the way I work on the desktop.

#396 bdsams

bdsams

Neowinian Senior

Posted 25 August 2014 - 23:50

I can tell you that current builds of Threshold, the modern UI, has nothing new like folders, notification center etc. These could be held off in other builds but the current ones in testing do not have these features.

I do sometimes wonder if Threshold really isn't windows 9.

#397 Dot Matrix

Dot Matrix

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 25 August 2014 - 23:56

I can tell you that current builds of Threshold, the modern UI, has nothing new like folders, notification center etc. These could be held off in other builds but the current ones in testing do not have these features.

Just to clarify, is this upcoming release an alpha build, like Windows 8 started out as? If yes, these features might come later.

#398 OP +FaiKee

FaiKee

Neowinian

Posted 26 August 2014 - 00:15

- AFAIK, these are wp features and not planned for win client.

- You would know when MS talks officially on win9, else you could read about Project Threshold in corpnet(if your friend would show you). :)

Just to clarify, is this upcoming release an alpha build, like Windows 8 started out as? If yes, these features might come later.

It's a M2, from what I heard TP is not for public release, there would be a DP(probably with a different name), :)