Final Fantasy 15

Final Fantasy 15 ?quite far into development? says Square

Thursday, 13th February 2014 10:54 GMT By Dave Cook

Final Fantasy 15 developer Square Enix has confirmed that the project is quite far into development and is being given the highest priority at the company.

It follows these official Final Fantasy 15 character bios, and this gameplay trailer showing off a high-level Noctis in acton.

Speaking with Videogamer, series producer Yoshinori Kitase said, ?We can?t give too much information but certainly looking at Final Fantasy XV, it?s not as if it?s in competition with Kingdom Hearts 3 for resources or anything like that.

?It?s quite far into development now and it is being given a very high priority within the company itself, but that doesn?t mean Kingdom Hearts isn?t.?

Further on; Kitase added that while Final Fantasy 15 has had a name change from Final Fantasy 13 Versus, it is still underpinned by the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythology.

He continued, ?Right from the start when we first it announced it as Versus XIII, the game itself was backed up by the same Crystal legend: the Fabulla Nova Crystallis mythology that underpins the whole of the XIII series. So even though it?s not necessarily the same universe or the same game, they?re all linked and underpinned by the backdrop of that legend.

?Now it?s moved on ? obviously the title?s been changed to Final Fantasy XV ? but that hasn?t actually changed. The story and the world is still going to be linked and backed up by that. So yes, there is the link between XIII and XV, and they both share that mythology as a backdrop and a starting point.?

Are you looking forward to Final Fantasy 15? Let us know below.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/02/13/final-fantasy-15-quite-far-into-development-says-square/

I've been replaying FF13 lately and that game has not got any better with age. Can't believe they stuck with it for a whole generation. Don't want to get my hopes up for 15 but it can't be any worse surely...

I can't believe they're sticking with the same universe for FF15.

It wasn't like FF13 13-2 and lightning returns were weak because of their gameplay. It was the universe and premise.

The glossary for FF13, it was nice they fleshed it out but it was so confusing and all the names for things were difficult to remember.

I can't believe they're sticking with the same universe for FF15.

It wasn't like FF13 13-2 and lightning returns were weak because of their gameplay. It was the universe and premise.

The glossary for FF13, it was nice they fleshed it out but it was so confusing and all the names for things were difficult to remember.

I'm not so sure about that :P

The battle system in 13 is probably my favourite since the SNES era, but everything outside of it was awful especially the whole corridor map for 10+ hours. It's probably the worst gameplay I've ever seen in a game. I didn't play XIII-2 apart from the demo so I don't know how much they fixed. I know they opened it up with with towns (albeit not the traditional style), and now I've heard LR has reduced the number of them again. LR seems to be splitting the fan base more than ever again, not least because of the gameplay but also because Lightning is such a terrible 1 dimension character.

I'm not so sure about that :p

The battle system in 13 is probably my favourite since the SNES era, but everything outside of it was awful especially the whole corridor map for 10+ hours. It's probably the worst gameplay I've ever seen in a game. I didn't play XIII-2 apart from the demo so I don't know how much they fixed. I know they opened it up with with towns (albeit not the traditional style), and now I've heard LR has reduced the number of them again. LR seems to be splitting the fan base more than ever again, not least because of the gameplay but also because Lightning is such a terrible 1 dimension character.

I agree on 13's linearity and the battle system being brilliant.

13-2 did improve and make it more open and feel more like an RPG.

LR - Yet to play it but from what i've seen they've made the battle system more like Crisis Core on the PSP and gave the paradigm system a new name. Made it even more open but ruined it with the countdown. Seriously a countdown system in what could be a 30+ hour game.

Even though each game had good and bad points. Altogether though, they have a lot of good gameplay mechanics to make a good game. The one thing that was consistently bad over the 3 games was the story, characters and universe.

I'm hoping 15 really moves away from Fabula Nova Crystallis mythology and almost re-creates that universe to make it more appealing.

Just have little nods to the older games.

not hard for it to be Far into development when the Fabula Nova Crystallis Project has been in development since 2006 and it is what became FF15.

I cancelled my LR preorder after hearing about that countdown crap. I *HATE* that kind of mechanic.

I played the Demo on the PS3 and i honestly do not see why all of these reviewers are saying the battle system is amazing. It was the worst battle experience i have ever had in any game of any kind. I am sure being that it is Square that the story is good but the battle mechanic has to be good to if you are going to spend more than 1/3 of the game in that scenario.

I played the Demo on the PS3 and i honestly do not see why all of these reviewers are saying the battle system is amazing. It was the worst battle experience i have ever had in any game of any kind. I am sure being that it is Square that the story is good but the battle mechanic has to be good to if you are going to spend more than 1/3 of the game in that scenario.

I believe it's one of the best game battle mechanics I've ever experienced and it made FF13 trilogy an instant favourite of mine :D

Also the Fabula Nova Crystallis is the most epic, deep story ever.

But that's my opinion ofcourse!

Square really burned me as a fan last gen. The whole FF13 experiment was a failure for me and it was the first time that I did not end up owning all of the FF games released during a generation. I bought the first 13 and regretted it. Nothing about the next installments motivated me to drop 60,50,40, even 30 dollars on them.

As far as FF15 goes, of course its far into development. They have been working on it for years. As usual, they are dragging their feet for whatever reason. I would be interested in hearing the true story about the development of this game and why it has dragged on so long. I was actually pretty excited for this one way back when it was first announced. It seemed like a breath of fresh air compared to 13, but fast forward to today and my hype level is gone. If it comes out and is great, then I'll be all over it. I'm just not very interested in giving Square much attention these days.

Insert "believe it when I see it" comment.

Last lifeboat for FF after Lightning Returns sank, no surprises there though, the FF13 trilogy has been the worst decision Square have made for FF. Besides releasing that shocking free to play FF The Brave or whatever it's called.

• Like 2

It seems like once Square got so tied up in making MMOs, their single player rpgs have taken a hit. I don't know if there is any connection between the two, but its just strange. I mean why would development be taking so long.

Square have taken on too much in the last 10 years. They launched 10 and 11 fine, but I think working on 12 while the next-gen leap happened is where things started to go wrong. Plus working on 13 so long they were almost forced to keep pushing it to make it profitable. Then the FF14 reboot happened which probably pushed them back. That's bad enough, but then they had all the side projects on portables, mobile, HD remakes, non-FF titles. They need to focus on quality and not quantity for a while. Sort this list by developer and look at the amount made by Square/SE last generation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Square_Enix_video_games Ridiculous :no:

If it weren't for their western partners I wouldn't be surprised to see them go under.

If it weren't for their western partners I wouldn't be surprised to see them go under.

Its really a sad end to a developer that fueled my gaming experiences growing up. The good old days when they were just Square. I almost think the issues started back when Square merged with Enix. It took awhile for the issues to take hold in a way that affected development, but mergers like that are part of the reason they are now so spread out.

I don't see why everyone is bothered. Final Fantasy 13 has an EPIC story and awesome battle system. 13-3 has a revised battle system because you play with a single character, again done brilliantly. FF XV  looks promising too. I don't see the issues.

Doesn't every FFXIII game only let you control 1 character? The only difference was the party size, but you never directly controlled them anyway

The whole doll house thing in LR is ridiculous too (N)