Borderlands 3 isn?t being made, but two new Gearbox IP are

By Brian Crecente on Feb 14, 2014 at 12:01p @crecenteb

Despite the phenomenal successes of Borderlands and Borderlands 2, developer Gearbox isn't currently working on a sequel to the endless-weapons action title, CEO and president Randy Pitchford told Polygon.

"We are not working on Borderlands 3," he said during an interview last week. "That is unqualified. We have more to do in the franchise, but no there isn't a Borderlands 3."

And it isn't a question of semantics, that they're working on a sequel that isn't a sequel. Put simply, Gearbox doesn't have time right now to develop a new Borderlands.

"When you think of what Borderlands 3 should be, it should be massive," Pitchford said. "It should be bigger and better than Borderlands 2. It should carry forward the story. It's probably crazy multiplatform, depending on timing. It would have to be a next-gen game and a current-gen game, if it was coming at any time in the reasonably near future.

"We love Borderlands, and we know customers do too. So we will be doing more in Borderlands. But the thing that, when you think of what Borderlands 3 should be... No. We are not developing that right now. We don't know what that is yet. We can imagine what it must achieve, but we don't know what it is yet. I'm not going to #### around with you like Valve does with Half-Life 3. Look. We know we want it and we know it should exist, but we don't know what it is yet. But we are doing things in Borderlands that we'll announce soon, that are good, and that I think people will be really excited about if you love the franchise."

So the franchise will continue and we already know some of the ways that will happen: Borderlands 2 on Vita and Tales of the Borderlands, Telltale's take on the Borderlands mythos.

Pitchford said Tales came about after Telltale approached Gearbox about the idea.

"I couldn't say yes fast enough," he said. "Like, hell yeah."

A big fan of The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us, Pitchford thinks Telltale's games continue to improve and has high hopes for what they'll be doing with Borderlands.

"They're figuring some stuff out in a space that a lot of people had written off, the adventure games," he said. "These guys are not only figuring some things out, but they're pushing the genre and doing new things that are entertaining us and touching us in ways we didn't expect. The fact that they want to spend time in the brand and the space we've created is thrilling. I'm super excited."

The game will be driven by Telltale's take on Borderlands world, brand new fiction that will be canon to the universe Gearbox created.

"Telltale is creating their game and the story," Pitchford said. "We talk a bit about what things could be done. They get really engaged in the brand. They throw some things at us and we tinker a little bit."

Typically, that process works like this, Pitchford said: The two teams have a story meeting where Telltale walks Gearbox through an outline. And then Gearbox may have a suggestion or two, which inevitably Telltale runs with.

"It's been a lot of fun working with those guys," Pitchford said. "I think they're better storytellers than we are, frankly."

Continues...