Sublime Text Multiple Cursors in Netbeans, Eclipse & Visual Studio

Question

Hi,

This is both a cry for multiple cursors and also a question about how multiple cursors really work. Sublime Text basically changed the game in terms of programming. However, it is still a pretty editor and not an IDE like Netbeans or Visual Studio. If I am not mistaking Sublime was created by a single programmer... whereas Visual Studio, Netbeans and Eclipse has an army of people behind it. Yet... I still cannot do the following:

I want to select the first four occurrences of the variable $test in one attempt.

$test = "123";
echo "garbage $test";
echo "garbage garbage";
echo "garbage $test";
echo "garbage $test";
echo "garbage garbage";
echo "garbage garbage";
echo "garbage $test";

Using Sublime Text it's pretty easy... you just select $test and press CMD/CTRL+D or whatever shot-cut you assigned to select one occurrence at a time. But in Netbeans, Visual Studio and Eclipse they have rectangular selection, smart selection or whatever.... why no one created an identical multiple cursor plugin already??

Now the other question is... how exactly multiple cursors work? What creates those new instances of each cursor? I might be able to create a plugin of my own... and share it with the world.

2 answers to this question

There's multiple options for this for Visual Studio already.  (the Multi-Select plugin, CodeRush, ReSharper, etc have it too).  Been a while since I've used Eclipse, I think there's a plugin called something to the effect of "MultiCursor" if I remember right, I'd be surprised if there weren't others too.