Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alley Moose

Win7 backup problems

11 posts in this topic

I have been running a Windows 7 desktop for a year now, and manually backing up files about once a month to an external HDD.

Today however, back up would not complete.  I do not understand why.

And going to need a bit more more to go on if you want someone to even guess to what the problem was.

What error did you get, when you say you manually backup files - do you just pick a file an windows file copy it to your external HDD, do you run some backup software that you manually run with a backup set defined in it. Are you using the built in backup solution of windows that you run manually?

Going to need something to work with here to even make a guess.

I have been making backups to the same external HDD, for the last 12 months.  Now this attached error pops up, and backup will not finish.

post-460827-0-20635700-1392653518.jpg

Is your hard drive some how mounting as a removal device instead of a hard drive? have you tried unplugging and plugging your drive back in?

Windows recognizes the backup External HDD, as a Hard Drive but not as Removal Storage.

I have been using this External HDD for over a year to do manual backups, since it is not plugged in when not in use.

post-460827-0-72868600-1392759758.jpg

You can try deleting the partition and recreating it on the external.  You will of course lose anything on it but it will probably fix it.

Drive G is not a partition.  But a separate Hard Drive, and External.

All hard drives have partitions ;)  So you could remove the partition and recreate it.

Can you post screen of your disk manager showing this disk - did it get marked active somehow?  Is the partition listed as system?  Did you try changing the drive letter of the drive to something other than G?  Make it H for example, does it work then..  If so change it back to G.

Maybe you need to manually remove some of the oldest Back-ups to allow room.

I reformatted the Hard Drive.  950 GB free, previous back up size of 460 GB.  Ran backup again, and the error remains.

its saying you can not schedule a back up on a removable drive

try a manual backup

devobtch