Photo

Color laser printer recommendation for student (options posted)

last printer color student

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 desidude

desidude

Neowinian

Posted 15 February 2014 - 18:40

Hi friends,

Wishing you a happy new year. My niece is in the UK and needs a simple Color laser printer for her academic course. She is in graphic design and requires to print in color often. I am helping her identify a printer.

I identified a couple of options for her via Amazon and am sharing them here (in no order of preference), they are all in the 100-120 GBP price range.

I am open to alternate suggestions instead of these

1) Samsung CLP 365

2) HP CP 1025

3) Brother HL 3150 CDW

4) Brother HL 3140 CW

She is looking for a machine that is easy to setup and use, as she is not that technology proficient. A newer model is preferred to one that is being phased out.

I appreciate your recommendations!

desidude

#2 Brian M.

Brian M.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 15 February 2014 - 18:50

http://www.ijtdirect...?sct=dell1760nw

£160 ish, includes a set of starter toners and 2 full sets of remanufactured toners. And since it's a Dell (Lexmark) it'll last forever.

#3 OP desidude

desidude

Neowinian

Posted 15 February 2014 - 20:09

Thanks!

I will add the Dell 1760NW to the list.

I see it on Amazon without the toners for 111 GBP.

How does Dell compare with the other brands?

Some additional options include:

Lexmark 28C0025

Lexmark 28C0075

Thanks!

desidude

#4 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 15 February 2014 - 20:22

So she will only be printing designs ? not photos or anything like that ? 

There's a few things to consider about Laser today, most people pick laser because they think they're cheaper. but forget that they're crap at printing photos, and they're not really cheaper anymore.

for the HP CP 1025 you listed, a 4 pack of toners cost. $205, except for the black toner they have a yield of a 1000 pages, that is $0,2 per print. Not counting probably non replaceable transfer belt. 

Compare to a HP Photosmart 6520, a 4 pack of XL Cartridges for this, costs $75 and have a yield of 550(again, except for black),  that is $0,136 per print.... and no drum or transfer belt that wears out, non replaceable printheads I believe on this though.

#5 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

Posted 15 February 2014 - 20:30

Also Dell is usually rebranded printers from other brands, I believe mostly HP/Canon(which as far as lasers go are mostly the same anyway).

#6 OP desidude

desidude

Neowinian

Posted 15 February 2014 - 20:48

Hi friends,

Thank you for the replies. She will be mostly printing her assignments, which include word documents and some graphics/tables. Any printer which has a resolution that would be good enough for home/small office use is fine. She is not printing anything which needs very high resolution.

She is unlikely to print photos, but images, so very high resolution is not needed.

She may print maybe 200-300 pages a month, of which about 60% would be text.

Yes, replacement cartridge cost must be factored in...which brands are usually competitive in terms of replacement cartrigde costs? Which have competitive generic brands available?

I am open to considering ink jets if they are a more appropriate option.

Thanks,

desidude

#7 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 75
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 15 February 2014 - 21:49

I just picked up the brother HL-3170CDW, and very happy with it - I got it for $198 US.. Never been a fan of inkjet, not a photo printing type of guy when you can pick them up at the corner drug store in an hour for 9 cents a copy why should I print them at home?

It is a bit bigger than my old black laserjet that is for sure.  Not sure will find much use for the duplex printing..  But it was right there in my price range and had wired along with wireless.  Just not really a fan of wireless, uses less power than others and it is very quick from standby making no noise to first page in like 15 seconds..  Which is nice when you need to print something and walk out the door.

#8 HawkMan

HawkMan

Badass Viking

Posted 15 February 2014 - 21:59

The thing is that the old truth about laser being cheaper is no longer true. That's the primary reason for not bothering with laser for home to SMB use anymore.

#9 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 15 February 2014 - 23:04

The thing is that the old truth about laser being cheaper is no longer true. That's the primary reason for not bothering with laser for home to SMB use anymore.

I still use laser because text and line art is still a lot crisper then ink that can seep in to the paper...

although my laser printer cost me $800 and has 4 toner cartridges that cost $250 each.... and in 7yrs I've only replaced the toner once... with thousands of pages printed...

#10 Fahim S.

Fahim S.

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: Google Nexus 4 16GB by LG

Posted 15 February 2014 - 23:37

Colour laser printers in the £100 range will only come with starter toner which won't last for very long.

Replacement toner comes in at around £50 per colour (there are 4) for OEM.

If she is a graphic design student then an A3 printer will probably make more sense, but will set you back £350 upwards.

#11 vetneufuse

neufuse

Neowinian Senior

Posted 16 February 2014 - 03:22

Colour laser printers in the £100 range will only come with starter toner which won't last for very long.

Replacement toner comes in at around £50 per colour (there are 4) for OEM.

If she is a graphic design student then an A3 printer will probably make more sense, but will set you back £350 upwards.

yeah, a large format printer sounds best in this case

#12 OP desidude

desidude

Neowinian

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:15

Hi friends,

Thanks for your reply. Just to clarify when I meant graphic design it is more related to teaching tools than visual arts, etc. So she really just needs to print on A4 and about 300 pages a month, of which maybe 30% will be color.

However, I want to help her find a simple solution that will last a couple of years as opposed to having her change ink cartridges every so often.

I hope this makes sense

Thanks,

desidude

#13 +BudMan

BudMan

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 75
  • OS: Win7, Vista, 2k3, 2k8, XP, Linux, FreeBSD, OSX, etc. etc.

Posted 16 February 2014 - 13:54

Well you could prob just pick up any old inkjet to be honest, really you think she will print 300 pages a month?  When my son's where in College they didn't print much of anything and that was a few years back. 

If she is going to use it fairly often the inkjet should be fine, I have just had issues with them when you don't print anything for a while and then the ink is dried up have to print multiple pages to clean the cartridges.  While with laser don't print anything for a couple of months - and first page is just like the last one.

Ink is not cheap be is toner or inkjet.. inkjet cart might only yield 200 pages per while even starter toner cart are normally around 1000 pages, while yes the cart are more expensive for the high yield they they might be 2500 pages.

I would really look into how many pages a month she will actually print - 300 a month seems like a lot to me to be honest.  Most school work is all electronic these days - why all the print outs?

#14 leesmithg

leesmithg

The Major!

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 16 February 2014 - 14:16

Hi friends,

Wishing you a happy new year. My niece is in the UK and needs a simple Color laser printer for her academic course. She is in graphic design and requires to print in color often. I am helping her identify a printer.

I identified a couple of options for her via Amazon and am sharing them here (in no order of preference), they are all in the 100-120 GBP price range.

I am open to alternate suggestions instead of these

1) Samsung CLP 365

2) HP CP 1025

3) Brother HL 3150 CDW

4) Brother HL 3140 CW

She is looking for a machine that is easy to setup and use, as she is not that technology proficient. A newer model is preferred to one that is being phased out.

I appreciate your recommendations!

I don't use a laser printer.

#15 OP desidude

desidude

Neowinian

Posted 16 February 2014 - 19:39

Hi friends,

In terms of brand quality, ease of use and replacement toner cost how would you compare Samsung/HP/Brother/Canon.

I am considering the entry level color laser printers for these.

Please suggest.

Thanks,

desidude

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!