Customer jailed for failing to return movie 9 years ago

If a crime has been committed it should be followed up in an appropriate timeframe. Justice should not be based upon chance. As for this particular case, if her address was inaccurate and she never received the correspondence it's perfectly plausible that she never received the warnings and was not at fault. It's easy to forget about something like that and anything could have happened to it (it could have been accidently throw away, etc). My point is I wouldn't be so quick to label the woman a thief, especially when we're talking about a low cost item and that she rented it from a place that had her personal details - it doesn't really make sense as a crime.

I have to disagree here solely on the premise that she must have had to receive warnings to be guilty, otherwise innocent as I'd assume the movie store made it clear before the rental took place what the return policy was and what would happen if she failed to comply.

Its basic responsibility: why should the store owner hold her hand and remind her to return a product she borrowed?

Also, to anyone else making jokes about the police...you realize that they are doing their job...? The guy had a judge sign off on Aa warrant. I know a few of you have a real vendetta against the American justice system but for once realize you seem childish with the comments above ;).

As it turns out, the electric company did not turn off the electricity the day I left my apartment, despite me calling ahead of time and they had no forwarding address.

As it turns out, the electric company did not turn off the electricity the day I left my apartment, despite me calling ahead of time.  They even had my forwarding address but I guess they didn't bother.

Cool story bro. Which bit's right? :p

Also, to anyone else making jokes about the police...you realize that they are doing their job...? The guy had a judge sign off on Aa warrant.

That's not the issue. It's that the police don't bother following these things up, they simply wait for people to happen to turn up at the police station. This situation should have been resolved at the time, the best part of a decade ago. So I would argue they're not doing their job.

Cool story bro. Which bit's right? :p

Wow, uh...LOL the second.  I edited it to say I had a forwarding address.  How else would I have been able to get my mail?

That and it took 30 minutes for both of the replies to post.  It was just hanging, so I tried in another tab.  I guess they eventually both went through.  My bad ;)

One of them still shows that it is submitting it this morning (I did it yesterday afternoon).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8oss7hfvbaotyqn/Screenshot%202014-02-17%2007.13.04.png

That's not the issue. It's that the police don't bother following these things up, they simply wait for people to happen to turn up at the police station. This situation should have been resolved at the time, the best part of a decade ago. So I would argue they're not doing their job.

If its anything like here, our law enforcement is woefully understaffed.  We had a robbery here a few years ago and someone called 911 upstairs.  The robbers were literally heading upstairs to where she was at and she triggered her car alarm, which prompted them to leave.

It took two hours for the police to show up.  Heck, I got there before the police did, and beat them by an hour and a half.

If its anything like here, our law enforcement is woefully understaffed.  We had a robbery here a few years ago and someone called 911 upstairs.  The robbers were literally heading upstairs to where she was at and she triggered her car alarm, which prompted them to leave.

It took two hours for the police to show up.  Heck, I got there before the police did, and beat them by an hour and a half.

I got beaten up in 2009, and the cops took seven hours to get here...

I got beaten up in 2009, and the cops took seven hours to get here...

They won't even come to the scene of a car accident here anymore, unless someone needs medical attention.

That makes it a fun time with insurance companies and proving who was at fault.

Stupid.  More money in court/jail costs than what the video is worth.

Ultimately, I think the judge who granted this to go through was the idiot.

It should have been handled as a civil matter.

• Like 1