More site hiccups?

I've been having problems with the site for the several few hours (db errors, bad gateway, intermittent inability to post). 

As Marshall said, I've been working on the site somewhat this evening.

Long story short, our implementation of Sphinx as a fulltext search engine has never worked well for us. As it doesn't have a live index, it only updated every 10 minutes or so, results were often outdated. They also tended to be inaccurate.

MySQL have added fulltext support to InnoDB, and it has been in there long enough to have matured, and reached a performance level that beats out the implementation we used to use when we had MyIASM tables (which we had to move away from due to locking issues with our level of traffic). We are now using this for all searching on the site.

This means improved search results on the forums and front page, that are quick, and more accurate than they were before :)

As Marshall said, I've been working on the site somewhat this evening.

Long story short, our implementation of Sphinx as a fulltext search engine has never worked well for us. As it doesn't have a live index, it only updated every 10 minutes or so, results were often outdated. They also tended to be inaccurate.

MySQL have added fulltext support to InnoDB, and it has been in there long enough to have matured, and reached a performance level that beats out the implementation we used to use when we had MyIASM tables (which we had to move away from due to locking issues with our level of traffic). We are now using this for all searching on the site.

This means improved search results on the forums and front page, that are quick, and more accurate than they were before :)

"This means improved search results on the forums and front page, that are quick, and more accurate than they were before"

That's cool as I've never had very good luck using the search feature here. Had better luck using a regular search engine and including the word neowin, at the end of the that search term.