Photo

Dropbox/Google Drive/Skydrive

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Dropbox/Google Drive/Skydrive

I use......

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 BoDEAN

BoDEAN

REDHead

• Phone: Iphone

Posted 17 February 2014 - 15:55

Which do people prefer on here and why?  I seem to have all 3 on my computer.
I have a PC desktop, and a Mac laptop.  I do use gmail, so google drive is handy at times, but find myself using Dropbox a lot more.  As for skydrive, I know its built into my Windows 8.1 desktop, my Xbox One uses it, but not sure if it's any better than dropbox or google drive.

So Im curious what others like/prefer here, and their reasons. Thanks

#2 Skiver

Skiver

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 17 February 2014 - 15:58

Out of those three and the four I do use... I can't pin it down to anything other than it's what I used first but Dropbox is defintatly my preference. I am trying to convince myself to switch to Mega.nz which now has a desktop sync app and works quite nicely. My only reason for not converting completely is I have an excel spreadsheet I refer to quite often from my mobile and Mega seemed to have a lot of issues downloading and then opening whereas Dropbox does it seemlessly.

#3 Max Norris

Max Norris

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 15
  • Phone: HTC One (Home) Lumia 1020 (Work)

Posted 17 February 2014 - 16:04

I use both DropBox and SkyDrive.   My desktops tie into DropBox via the Explorer addon plus my one phone automatically sends photos and such to it anyway, probably use that more often.  I use SkyDrive frequently for OneNote and a few other Office related things, absurdly handy with multiple devices.  Reasonably sure I've never had a need for Google Drive, don't think I've ever looked at it, plus have 50GB on SkyDrive and 27GB on DropBox, I'm good for what I need.

#4 Depicus

Depicus

depicus.com

• Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 17 February 2014 - 16:05

Dropbox seems to have the best all-round everything and love the camera uploading from iPhone and Nexus. 

#5 tbarnett

tbarnett

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 17 February 2014 - 16:05

I'm not sure what you are using these services for, but I've found BitTorrent Sync is a great tool for sharing data & backups.  I use DropBox and Google Drive for storing documents, videos, misc, and then I ZIP everything twice a month and use BT Sync to copy that data to a relative's HD in another state for extra backup.

#6 +techbeck

techbeck

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 10

Posted 17 February 2014 - 16:06

I have each since there are limited storage on each.  Just have things organized per storage.

#7 episode

episode

Neowinian Fanatic

• Tech Issues Solved: 3

Posted 17 February 2014 - 16:08

Dropbox. 

File size limits are what does it for me. DB is unlimited. Everything else is 2GB or less.

I quite often have to send large files from myself to a business client, and just adding it to my dropbox is easy, especially if its something I use more than once.

I do have 25GB due to referrals, dropboxquest, and other stuff, so that helps. If I was stuck somewhere with the lower range (2-4GB) then it wouldn't work or I'd have to pay. 

I have a 200GB for two years plan with SkyDrive/OneDrive that I got with my Surface Pro2, but I've barely touched it due to the file size limit.

My backup service that I use if I need to store something is actually copy.com because it gives you 15GB+5GB right off the bat for free. 

#8 +InsaneNutter

InsaneNutter

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: OnePlus One

Posted 17 February 2014 - 16:15

I’ve been using Dropbox before SkyDrive / Google Drive were even in the same league. Dropbox just seems the better product to me and I feel the apps for Dropbox are generally better than SkyDrive / Google Drive.

I would be reluctant to use SkyDrive after hearing of people losing their Windows Live account over having content in SkyDrive that Microsoft do not approve of. Not that I would be using it for that, I just don’t “trust” SkyDrive I guess. The NSA probably have access to all three services regardless, not that I store anything really private on Dropbox anyway.

#9 SiCKX

SiCKX

Cannibal

Posted 17 February 2014 - 16:16

My backup service that I use if I need to store something is actually copy.com because it gives you 15GB+5GB right off the bat for free. 

Both FireDrive (ex-Putlocker) and MEGA offer you 50GB free. MEGA is insanely fast on upload too.

#10 ichi

ichi

Akihabara Style

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 17 February 2014 - 16:27

I would be using Google Drive a lot more if they had released an official sync client for Linux (although there are third party clients), but since they don't I'm mostly using Dropbox and then also Ubuntu One for quick sharing.

I also have a Mega account but I guess I'm too used to Dropbox (automatic photo uploading, several shared folders with friends and relatives...).

At work on the other hand we have Google Apps for Business, so there I use Google Drive a lot.

#11 episode

episode

Neowinian Fanatic

Posted 17 February 2014 - 16:32

Both FireDrive (ex-Putlocker) and MEGA offer you 50GB free. MEGA is insanely fast on upload too.

FireDrive doesn't have a desktop client. And mega's client is just released.

#12 Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 17 February 2014 - 16:32

Dropbox here, as I was given 50GB free for my phone (and registering 3 devices to it, I think)

I haven't really tried google or skydrive

(Mostly, I use hard drives kept in storage, And take them out when I need to back up or restore anything)

#13 Ironman273

Ironman273

Neowinian Fanatic

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 17 February 2014 - 16:36

I use Dropbox (I have 8.85GB) for a lot of work related things and Skydrive (now i have 50GB) for my personal stuff.  I also have 50GB on Box in case I need to store something large.

#14 shozilla

shozilla

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 6

Posted 17 February 2014 - 16:36

Dropbox here, as I was given 50GB free for my phone (and registering 3 devices to it, I think)

I haven't really tried google or skydrive onedrive

Fixed that for you. :p

I have skydrive/onedrive... 

I have other accounts for others as well.. I mean dropbox, box, etc.

#15 Draconian Guppy

Draconian Guppy

LippyZillaD Council

Posted 17 February 2014 - 16:38

None, need upwards of 98gb for photos only and 60gb for music only, really can't afford online backsup, so home external drive ftw ftm