Dropbox/Google Drive/Skydrive

68 members have voted

1. 1. I use......

• Dropbox
    • Google Drive
    • Skydrive
    • None of the above

Question

Which do people prefer on here and why?  I seem to have all 3 on my computer.

I have a PC desktop, and a Mac laptop.  I do use gmail, so google drive is handy at times, but find myself using Dropbox a lot more.  As for skydrive, I know its built into my Windows 8.1 desktop, my Xbox One uses it, but not sure if it's any better than dropbox or google drive.

So Im curious what others like/prefer here, and their reasons. Thanks

"Is there a way budman, to "program" upload to amazon"

I use this - http://www.cloudberrylab.com/amazon-s3-cloud-desktop-backup.aspx

It works with glacier as well.  And you can create all kinds of schedules - its a normal backup software, but it backs up to glacier or s3 or many other online storage providers..  I don't see a way to cap daily uploads, but you can limit the upload speed to whatever you want so during the day you could make it really low.. Then at night when everyone sleeping you could let it use the full pipe, etc.

The draw back is its not free - but its a one time cost ($30) vs the per $60 plus a year..  Keep an eye out for promo's I have seen them for like half off, etc.  And they do have a 30 day trial so you can get your upload done..  Then wait for a promo to buy it, etc.

I really don't need to run backups that often - only when I take some new video's etc.  So I just run the job manually when needed, I only have 5Mbps up -  and I ran this during the day while I was doing stuff so I limited it to half my pipe and still only took couple of hours for 1.85GB

post-14624-0-61340700-1393973974.png

I have looked around - and this the most cost effective way I could find to provide for DR in the cloud.  Now I also have backup of the videos on CD at my Son's house -- but I feel safer with Amazon then sitting in my son's closet ;)  Just kick off the backup job when I add some video's.  The problem with glacier is it does work a bit different than your typical online services or backup solutions - but the cost is so low..  If your going to need to pull your files from backup now and then - this is not that sort of solution.  This is better for Disaster Recovery!!  I have copies on my PC, I have copies on multiple disks in my drive pool, and a backup drive.  I also have copies on CD (I create these every couple of months), and I have copies of those cd's at my son's house -- but glacier this is my DR copy..  My house burns down and my son left the CDs in the window sill with the summer sun on them all day ;)  Chicagoland is flooded and both my and my son's houses are gone - my copy at amazon should still be there..

I don't need that sort of backup for music - insurance would pay for me to rebuy my music.  Its music that someone else created, its on itunes, I can stop by the store or order another CD online - it can be replaced is my point..  An external drive sitting on your desk is decent enough backup for that sort of stuff if you ask me.  So you don't have to rerip it.

But you can not replace your granddaughter's first steps, or her eating her 1st bday cake, etc.  This needs to be backup with DR in mind.. Other than pictures and video's of one time events - pretty much everything else can be replaced or recreated..

OneDrive here, mainly for pictures, tech stuff, and Scouting activities. I got in on the 25GB upgrade from having an account so long ago.

I use OneDrive just because the integration with Windows and Xbox. The space is really cheap per GB. File size limit of 2gb doesn't matter to me because I don't have any files that big. Upload/download is maximum speed of my broadband.

"Is there a way budman, to "program" upload to amazon"

I use this - http://www.cloudberrylab.com/amazon-s3-cloud-desktop-backup.aspx

It works with glacier as well.  And you can create all kinds of schedules - its a normal backup software, but it backs up to glacier or s3 or many other online storage providers..  I don't see a way to cap daily uploads, but you can limit the upload speed to whatever you want so during the day you could make it really low.. Then at night when everyone sleeping you could let it use the full pipe, etc.

The draw back is its not free - but its a one time cost ($30) vs the per $60 plus a year..  Keep an eye out for promo's I have seen them for like half off, etc.  And they do have a 30 day trial so you can get your upload done..  Then wait for a promo to buy it, etc.

I really don't need to run backups that often - only when I take some new video's etc.  So I just run the job manually when needed, I only have 5Mbps up -  and I ran this during the day while I was doing stuff so I limited it to half my pipe and still only took couple of hours for 1.85GB

attachicon.giflastbackup.png

I have looked around - and this the most cost effective way I could find to provide for DR in the cloud.  Now I also have backup of the videos on CD at my Son's house -- but I feel safer with Amazon then sitting in my son's closet ;)  Just kick off the backup job when I add some video's.  The problem with glacier is it does work a bit different than your typical online services or backup solutions - but the cost is so low..  If your going to need to pull your files from backup now and then - this is not that sort of solution.  This is better for Disaster Recovery!!  I have copies on my PC, I have copies on multiple disks in my drive pool, and a backup drive.  I also have copies on CD (I create these every couple of months), and I have copies of those cd's at my son's house -- but glacier this is my DR copy..  My house burns down and my son left the CDs in the window sill with the summer sun on them all day ;)  Chicagoland is flooded and both my and my son's houses are gone - my copy at amazon should still be there..

I don't need that sort of backup for music - insurance would pay for me to rebuy my music.  Its music that someone else created, its on itunes, I can stop by the store or order another CD online - it can be replaced is my point..  An external drive sitting on your desk is decent enough backup for that sort of stuff if you ask me.  So you don't have to rerip it.

But you can not replace your granddaughter's first steps, or her eating her 1st bday cake, etc.  This needs to be backup with DR in mind.. Other than pictures and video's of one time events - pretty much everything else can be replaced or recreated..

Thanks Ill check out the cloudberry app.

You do make a point with music though, I'll take that into consideration.

I use Dropbox the most probably, but I keep meaning to use Google Drive more. I don't know if I even have a Skydrive or not.