Why isn't my uncle's new computer that fast?

The Inspiron 6530 is a nice choice, we get them in a lot at work for configuring and I think they're great, aesthetically.

Just do delete whatever crap Dell put on it though.

Ok, I brought those Dell laptops to my uncle's attention and he decided not to buy it because the Processor is 3rd generation, while his new laptop is 4th generation. Also, the RAM is lower, but that can be upgraded when you order, so that didn't bother him much. Since there's no option to upgrade the laptop to 4th gen, he decided not to get it and just stick with his current laptop from Costco.

Thanks anyway. Personally, I think he's being silly because 3rd or 4th gen, that laptop will be way faster because of the SSD. I certainly will invest in a SSD computer when I buy my next computer. I'm surprised to see that they're not all that expensive.

whatever.  the processor makes little difference with what he is using, at least when comparing 3rd to 4th gen of the same processor. 

this isn't the late 80s and 90s where processor was the deciding factor of what made a computer fast.

^Exactly. A 4th gen processor might make things slightly faster 1% of the time. An SSD will make things about 10 times faster 99% of the time. Trading the SSD for a 4th gen processor is a terrible mistake.

No - I knew what you were taking about without having to watch a video ;)

edit: ok took a look - that is not a N5110, that HDD is actually easy to get to compared to the horror that is the N5110.. Let me see if I can find a video of that nightmare

Here you go

Dell needs to be taken out back and shot for that design. Though on another note doesn't make getting to the hard drive easier make it easier / faster for dell to repair laptops?

If so that is funny!  When I went to go remove the drive I had to look up instructions because I kid you not I think I had to basically undo every freaking screw in the thing.. The HDD is in the heart of the thing - it was a freaking nightmare!!  Who every designed that thing did so thinking, oh they will just throw this away if the hdd dies and get a new machine ;)

I know what you meant..

my old laptop has whole back cover to be taken off once you take the screws off...

The laptop I am on that has small hard drive cover on the back... instead of whole back cover.  Pretty simple.

I just checked. His old pc's HD was 5400 rpm, just like the new PC. I guess that's why there's no speed difference.

I checked Dell's site and all their Inspiron laptops have 5400 hard drives. In order to get something faster, you'll need a desktop and my uncle refuses to get those because of their size. He likes the compactness of a laptop.

Or you know, you could install a 7200 RPM drive or SSD (preferred)