What are all these boxes piling up on my desk?

264q8ht.png

Hmm... I wonder if I can put them together into something...

29bdj81.png

There. Now close this thing up and see what happens.

o9ealh.png

Oh good it lights up. That must mean something good.

Ok here's the details:

Case: Antec Eleven Hundred

PSU: Antec HCG 850 M

CPU: AMD FX-8350

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3

RAM: 16GB Crucial  DDR3 1600 (2x 8GB DIMM)

GPU: eVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB in 2-way SLI

Primary Hard Drive: 240GB Crucial M500

Secondary Hard Drive: 2x 1TB WD Black in RAID 0

This case is huge. I dwarfs my old Three Hundred and DF-30 I had used for previous builds. The good news is that cable management is great with it. Plenty of room behind the motherboard for big cables, and lots of grommets to route them through. The top and rear fans plug into a built-in power connector with speed controls on the back which just needs a Molex connector to power it, its nice not having to daisy chain the fan connectors together.

Right now there's just two 120mm intake fans on the front. They are easy to get to and install as well. There's a removable filter in the front panel as well as beneath the power supply for easy cleaning. The side panel with the window and fan mounts was damaged when I received it. Several of the rivets holding the window on are broken and the window is about to fall off so I can't mount fans to it. I contacted Antec about this and they are sending me a replacement side panel.

This is the first build I've done without an optical drive. I plan to get one later once the rebates for all the various parts come. I installed Windows using a USB stick, and for the first time ever I had to use the preinstall drivers for the SATA controller before I could install Windows, otherwise I just got a Blue Screen when selecting the partition to install onto. I also had to go into the UEFI BIOS and disable booting from USB after the initial install step otherwise during the installation restarts it would boot from USB and restart the install process rather than continue. This was never an issue before using DVDs, as in the old BIOS way of doing things I just let the "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD..." prompt time out. Always good to learn new things.

This is the first build I've done without an optical drive. I plan to get one later once the rebates for all the various parts come. I installed Windows using a USB stick, and for the first time ever I had to use the preinstall drivers for the SATA controller before I could install Windows, otherwise I just got a Blue Screen when selecting the partition to install onto. I also had to go into the UEFI BIOS and disable booting from USB after the initial install step otherwise during the installation restarts it would boot from USB and restart the install process rather than continue. This was never an issue before using DVDs, as in the old BIOS way of doing things I just let the "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD..." prompt time out. Always good to learn new things.

It depends how you make the USB stick. I have found Rufus to be the most consistent and it adds a similar "Press any key to boot from USB...".

Otherwise, congratulations. That's a nice build. I think my next build is going to use the Corsair Air 540. I'm kinda over the big showy cases.

I built a system at work with a Corsair obsidian 550D case (big case) that had a full sized ATX Motherboard and 3X NVidia GTX 780's in SLI and my boss told me "I didn't know they made computers that big anymore, get a mac sheesh"... which left me laughing for the next half hour explaining why I can't do what I just did on current apple hardware....

I use the GPU's mainly for CUDA and math processing..... not games

but it's nice to see others making similar large setups also

• Like 1

Interesting choice for the secondary HDD setup.

Its pretty much just for installing games to. With modern games requiring 20+GB each now I can't put nearly all that I play on the SSD. The blacks in RAID 0 are quite fast too and provide loading times that are about on par with the SSD.

Hello,

Been with AMD for 16 years. Thought about going with Intel this time around but I decided to stick with AMD. Plus I've always been interested in the 8350.

Well Intel is better bang for buck but if it works for you and you like it, thats that and Im happy for you :)

Personally I wouldnt touch AMD with a 10 foot pole.

The only time I would have touched them is from 2003 till about 2004-2005ish

Hello,

Well Intel is better bang for buck but if it works for you and you like it, thats that and Im happy for you :)

that makes two of us, every AMD system I've had at work has driven me nuts in some way or another

Hello,

that makes two of us, every AMD system I've had at work has driven me nuts in some way or another

Not that they are bad or anything; Its just that for some odd reason AMD processors have strange bugs sometimes (Intel does too but more often and recently it is AMD) and also I feel paying 199? for a AMD that will be powerful enough for 3 years and 399-499 ? for a Intel that will be powerful enough for 6 years justifies the cost.

But like I said, thats just me.

Hello,

Not that they are bad or anything; Its just that for some odd reason AMD processors have strange bugs sometimes (Intel does too but more often and recently it is AMD) and also I feel paying 199? for a AMD that will be powerful enough for 3 years and 399-499 ? for a Intel that will be powerful enough for 6 years justifies the cost.

But like I said, thats just me.

I have never experienced bugs with AMD, most current cpu's are capable of performing most of the common tasks flawlessly so go with what you like not what the "sheep" think is best! :)

Hello,

I have never experienced bugs with AMD

Consumers never see them or experience them but:

http://beta.slashdot.org/story/165605

most current cpu's are capable of performing most of the common tasks flawlessly so go with what you like not what the "sheep" think is best! :)

The thing is that Intel is generally better at it while AMD is worst but consumes a lot less power.

Hello,

Consumers never see them or experience them but:

http://beta.slashdot.org/story/165605

The thing is that Intel is generally better at it while AMD is worst but consumes a lot less power.

I'm sure several year old bug can be found with Intel.  Anyhu, this looks like a gaming rig and therefore GPU power is the primary concern so why would he need to pay twice the price when this 'worst' processor will quite happily crunch all the numbers and more. :P

• Like 2

Hello,

Usually don't hear Intel and better bang for the buck in the same sentence. I would rather just have Intel for much better performance and lower power usage. AMD is just a mess right now.

Hello,

Usually don't hear Intel and better bang for the buck in the same sentence. I would rather just have Intel for much better performance and lower power usage. AMD is just a mess right now.

Your post make no sense.

AMD, even if its worst, has been always noticed for consuming less.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bang_for_the_buck

Bang for the buck is an idiom meaning the worth of one's money or exertion. The phrase originated from the slang usage of the words "bang" which means "excitement" and "buck" which means "money".

The Intel is worth a lot more because it gives better performance for longer time. You get "excited" so to speak because you know the Intel is going to deliver better and longer in the long run.

Of course we are talking about gaming/CPU PCs; Any consumer PC you wont even see it.