What have you been playing?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
22 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew G.

Andrew G.

#MalcolmYoungStayStrong

• 23,848 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 23:19

In the words of nearly every gaming podcast out there, I thought it would be nice if the Gamers' Hangout could have it's own weekly topic to let people discuss the games they have been playing. The purpose is not to simply list the name of the game and move on but to discuss what you like and didn't like in a constructive way. It can be for any platform and it doesn't matter when it was released. If you want to discuss the storyline of a game, particularly if it's new, please use the spoiler tag feature. Don't worry about writing an essay or review, but just enough to offer up some discussion :)

I'll get the ball rolling for this week and if it's a success we can continue it as a weekly topic.

TES V: Skyrim (PC) - I've put off playing this game since it came out as I knew I wanted to dedicate some proper time to it to fully appreciate it. I usually have a short attention span when it comes to games and I'll switch between them very quickly to play what I feel like rather than see something to completion before moving on. I finally started playing Skyrim though and even though it came out in 2011 I think this is a game which will look great for another 5 years, easily. I've installed quite a few mods to get rid of the common complaints when it comes to RPGs, namely inventory management. Most of them are small changes like reducing the weight penalty but I've tried to stay away from game changing mods to preserve the "vanilla" experience. I'm really impressed with what I've played so far (which admitedly hasn't been very long yet), but I am itching to get a few more hours in when I can. The sense of exploration in Bethesda games is next to none IMO when it comes to RPGs, Fallout being my favourite universe, but Skyrim is just bursting with life. It'd be so tempting to just ignore the main quest line and go off exploring, but so far I've been strict with myself and I want to get a few hours in before I take on any side quests or exploring. I usually play the "tank" roles when it comes to RPGs too, but after discussing with a friend I've gone with a thief archer role this time. It's a little difficult switching my play style but it's very satisfying nailing shots over large distances. It's going to take a long time to complete but I know it's going to be an awesome journey and I haven't even thought about the DLC yet :laugh:

#2 +Aheer.R.S.

Aheer.R.S.

I cannot Teach Him, the Boy has no Patience!

• 10,722 posts
  • Phone: Sony Xperia Z1 Compact

Posted 17 February 2014 - 23:21

Well, lately, StarCraft 2..   PC, (Both versions) As I am disappointed with my ps4 purchases,

Killzone Shadowfall..  PS4,  I really don't like what they did to it, if I wanted to play generic style shooters I am spoiled for choice in the Call of Duty and Battlefield Franchises, the whole point of that game was it was a little too 'juvenile', for lack of a better word, for some gamers.

Need for Speed Rivals..  PS4,  It wasn't a bad diver, but it felt too much like a blending of Need for Speed Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted (Both of those titles are great in their own rights) I guess I didn't know what I was expecting from it.

Resogun..  PS4,  This isn't my normal purchses (and wouldn't have been if it weren't for the fact it was free) This was actually a very addictive side scroller, reminded me a little of Defender way back when..

Currently, I am waiting for Mad Max, Diablo and Destiny for the PS4...

#3 GotBored

GotBored

Moved to NeoGAF

• 934 posts
  • Phone: iPhone 5

Posted 18 February 2014 - 00:00

Warframe.. PS4, a free-to-play cooperative third-person shooter / hack and slash. Fast paced action game but gets repetitive because it requires a lot of grinding to get good items.

Clash of Clans.. IOS, Addictive little mobile game, kinda like C&C series but more childish and more suited to mobile devices.

And a bit of Fifa 14.. PS4.

#4 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• 3,974 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 00:30

Last of Us: Left Behind (PS3)

-Finishing this up tonight, but its been great so far, recommended for anyone that enjoyed the main game. The story and character development really make it worth it to me. Considering the chracters involved, it has a different feeling story wise.

Titanfall (XB1)

-Played some on my own just trying to get a feel for it, but played some with my firends today and it was definitely more enjoyable. Its not the most serious shooter out there thanks to its more arcade-like feel, something along the lines of COD, but it can get very fun when your playing with a squad that works together and against other players that know what they are doing.

NBA 2K14 (XB1)

-Another game that I only own becuase my firends and I wanted a competitive sports title to play and are usual mainstay, college football, is gone for now. Its been fun, but I have to admit that I have serious problems with the shooting mechanics. This is the first basketball game I have played in a very long time so maybe all of them are like this, but shots can feel quite random at times.

Games coming soon:

Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
-Most excited for this game at the moment

P v Z: Garden Warfare (XB1)
-Great couch co-op/smartglass experience, looks like fun. My wife is a big fan of the PvZ series, so we will be playing a good amount of this.

#5 mattmatik

mattmatik

formerly soLoredd

• 4,922 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:54

Bravely Default (3DS) - having a hard time putting this down! Enjoying the hell out of it.

Tales of Xillia (PS3) - been plugging away at this for awhile now. Still having fun with it, the combat is great.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 (PS3) - late to the party but I got Lightning Returns as a gift so I figured I should end XIII-2 first.

Hearthstone (PC) - my game when I just want to blow 10 minutes. Arena is a blast.

Planetside 2 (PC) - my shooter of choice; so much fun.

#6 Thrackerzod

Thrackerzod

Normal Neowinian

• 2,816 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 13:08

The Adventures of Van Helsing

Ys: The Oath in Felghana

Dust - An Elysian Tail

#7 firey

firey

F͎̗͉͎͈͑͡ȉ͎̣̐́ṙ͖̺͕͙̓̌è̤̞͉̟̲͇̍̍̾̓ͥͅy͓̍̎̌̏̒

• 7,988 posts
  • Phone: Android (4.1.2)

Posted 20 February 2014 - 13:15

Tomb Raider D:E (PS4)
BF4 (PS4)
Lego Marvel Superheroes (PS4)
Minecraft (PC) -> Very Rare

Have on pre-order:
Drive Club (PS4)
Diablo 3 (PS4)

Destiny (PS4)
Infamous (PS4)

I have a library of about 100 games on steam.. but until yesterday I didn't have unlimited internet.. so was very careful as to what was being downloaded.

#8 Jollibee

Jollibee

Neowinian Fastfood

• 51 posts
  • Phone: Nokia Lumia 920, Nokia X2-01

Posted 20 February 2014 - 13:16

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (PC/PS3/X360) - The first hack and slash game to the Metal Gear series. Taking the beating heart out of the Senator final boss in the hardest difficulty still feels bloody satisfying to me!!!

Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker (PSP) - Still trying to S-Rank all the missions here. Over 120 hours of playtime and counting...

Double Dragon Neon (PC/PS3/X360) - Remake of the first Double Dragon game. Good beat 'em up game that gives you the 80s vibes.

Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition (PC/PS3/X360) - Still the best 2D fighting game of this generation.

Street Fighter X Megaman (PC) - Free game downloadable from Capcom's site. A Megaman game which features several known characters in Street Fighter series as its bosses. The game has the classic Megaman feel which I really liked a lot.

#9 spacer

spacer

I'm awesome

• 6,139 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 4

Posted 20 February 2014 - 13:16

I've been replaying Dark Souls for the millionth time simply because I can't wait for Dark Souls 2 and I need it. I've platinum'd the game on the 360 and PC, and I will probably look for a cheap PS3 copy to do it again. Once Dark Souls 2 comes out, my life is going to disintegrate.

#10 Starbuck84

Starbuck84

Would You Kindly?

• 1,429 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 13:21

GZDoom. :laugh:  And Uncharted 3 on the PS3. Still need to finish that last one... :blush:

#11 Colicab

Colicab

DGDesign

• 4,132 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 13:23

GZDoom. :laugh:  And Uncharted 3 on the PS3. Still need to finish that last one... :blush:

Check out Brutal Doom if you havent already. Tis A-MAZ-ING!!

#12 ShockD

ShockD

Antagonist

• 321 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 13:36

Mostly Dota 2 as that's the best my integrated GPU can handle :D

#13 OP Andrew G.

Andrew G.

#MalcolmYoungStayStrong

• 23,848 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 13:51

Remember I said to discuss the games and what you think of them, not just name them :p

#14 Pusska In Boots

Pusska In Boots

Neowinian

• 28 posts
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S2

Posted 20 February 2014 - 14:08

Mainly been playing Fifa 14. I have only 2 other games  (Ghosts and BF4) which I have finished so Fifa is keeping me going. Finally managed to get golden boot playing for Burton Albion which made me a happy boy. Just got to win next match for promotion to Championship. 

Also Titanfall. Played mainly domination but gave the titans only game ago and just got whooped. Not much fun when the teams are 4 vs 6. Things were heading south rather quickly :( .

#15 Starbuck84

Starbuck84

Would You Kindly?

• 1,429 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 14:46

Check out Brutal Doom if you havent already. Tis A-MAZ-ING!!

Thanks for telling! And I know, am waiting impatiently for v.20 :D Been replaying almost every .WAD I have.

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!