Cloud storage with multiple folder sync and versioning?

Question

I've been using SugarSync as a cloud service provider for years. However, recently I've been becoming increasingly frustrated with their services. I've noticed that over time, their upload/download speeds have decreased, and recently there's been a few bugs that have been quite unforgivable (can't drag/drop upload files in Chrome; freezes whenever I view the "SugarSync Drive" folder, etc). My subscription expires in a few weeks, and instead of spending over $100+ to renew for another year, I'm looking to find an alternative cloud storage provider instead.

Two of the main features I'm looking for are the ability to sync multiple folders in different locations (as I have folders on different drives/partitions I want to sync), and file versioning (in case of accidental deletion, corruption, etc). Neither is something I'm able to be flexible on, or willing to use work-arounds on (such as folder junctions). I've been doing my research, but so far haven't had much luck:

* Dropbox - Only syncs one folder.

* Google Drive - Only syncs one folder.

* Skydrive - I'm not overly fond of their track record regarding privacy.

* Mega -  No file versioning.

* Synology  - Only syncs one folder.

I'm not against using a private/in-home cloud like Synology (in fact, kinda prefer that as they're one-time costs and the speeds would be much higher), but really I'm just looking for a good option that'll get me away from SugarSync's flaws.

10 answers to this question

Have you looked at https://www.box.com/home - they have sync any folder and file versions.

Owncloud can do the same.  Does it have to be in the cloud, or you mention running your own.  Or there are plenty of providers of owncloud services.

Have you looked at https://www.box.com/home - they have sync any folder and file versions.

Owncloud can do the same.  Does it have to be in the cloud, or you mention running your own.  Or there are plenty of providers of owncloud services.

I tried owncloud, and I found it to be the slowest thing in the world. There are lots of forum threads about how slow the sync client is, but there doesn't appear to be any resolution.

I have no problem hosting it myself. I got a few spare computers, and the larger upfront costs lead to savings in the longer run. I'll check them out :D

Do you know if Box has personal plans with capacities with more than 100GB? 

I use this with Dropbox to sync multiple folders. Work fine for me.

http://satyadeepk.in/dropbox-folder-sync/

That just moves the folder into the Dropbox folder, and then creates a junction in the original location to give the appearance of it being there. All the folders are still technically in the Dropbox folder.

I would think they would let you get more than 100GB..  I don't use them - I'm a dropbox fan, have 70GB of free storage ;)  Why should I pay for something else.

I personally see no need of sync'ing root folders - this feature seems useless to me to be honest.  Why would you have data all over the place??  Maybe you could change a some bad habits of willy nilly placing your files all over the place and you would have a much larger selection of online storage companies to choose from ;)

I am curious to why you need such a thing - sure you say you have data in multiple places, but why?? Shouldn't you keep all your data in 1 place - so you can back it up easy?  Control security to it much easier - ntfs permissions, encryption if desired

Keeping all data in one place still can be a bit dangerous and besides for some people it's not the variant due to some reasons, I'm among such people. So once I had too look for a software that could cope with all that, and the price was not the last question on my list of requrements. In the end I've found what I've been looking for, that's Acronis True Image, in fact it works pretty well for me. I guess it has all the features you're seeking for, just check out here http://www.acronis.com/en-us/homecomputing/trueimage/index.html?utm_source=6149678#overview if interested.

www.LiveDrive.com.  I use their backup service but their briefcase service looks like it does exactly what you're after.

Checkout copy.com - has file versioning and can sync any folder by simply placing a shortcut to it inside the copy folder.

Here's my signup link if you want an extra 5GB: https://copy.com?r=sxRo7z

It's a fairly new service so thoroughly test it before moving everything over, but I've been running it for a few months and it's been great.

"Keeping all data in one place still can be a bit dangerous"

Says who - did I say keep all your data on a flash drive you could loose?  Did I say not to take a backup? Keeping your files scattered across disks that your wanting to "sync" is just pointless

Did I say keep all files in one folder without any organization? And who said it was ALL your data - just the data you want to sync.  I don't keep my media library in the same place I keep the files I need to be synced to multiple machines.  People complaining about sync tools that don't sync folders from all over their network are just looking for something complain about if you ask me.

I would love to understand what files your syncing that they can not be in 1 folder?