PS4 cumulative sales surpass 5.3 million units worldwide

Yep, there will be lines. The question is, will that result in another million in sales within 24-48 hours?

Sort of difficult when Japan is 1/5th (or less) sales-wise of NA. Guesstimates are in the 200-400k range.

Sort of difficult when Japan is 1/5th (or less) sales-wise of NA. Guesstimates are in the 200-400k range.

that's true, 1 million would be highly unrealistic then.

I'm sure someone will post how that 200-400k esitmate stacks up with previous console releases.

that's true, 1 million would be highly unrealistic then.

I'm sure someone will post how that 200-400k esitmate stacks up with previous console releases.

"81,639 PS3 systems were sold within 24 hours of its introduction in Japan."

From wiki, but I couldn't find a source, so....

However, let's assume it's true: the PS3 price tag was mental and I don't think Sony had as much goodwill from consumers as they do now with the PS4. I think Sony will have more of a problem with supply than demand.

You're surely not going to get sales figures for another ~24 hours. Has the day even ended in Japan? To be honest I thought the midnight launch only started recently.

Because the Japanese don't do that or because you don't think there is as much of an interest in the PS4 for them to line up for one?

The latter. They used to do the former.

The latter. They used to do the former.

http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2014/02/22/japanese-fans-get-hold-of-sonys-ps4-after-long-wait/

Some people waiting for over two days in queue for the midnight release of PS4 in Japan.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/technology/japan-gamers-queue-for/1007676.html

Seems like people did queue up. (They get given tickets though of what number they were in line so they didn't need to stay there the whole time or camp out for a few days.. This is way better than what people do elsewhere).

http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2014/02/22/japanese-fans-get-hold-of-sonys-ps4-after-long-wait/

Some people waiting for over two days in queue for the midnight release of PS4 in Japan.

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/technology/japan-gamers-queue-for/1007676.html

Seems like people did queue up. (They get given tickets though of what number they were in line so they didn't need to stay there the whole time or camp out for a few days.. This is way better than what people do elsewhere).

The question is, outside of the hardcore fans that like to stand in lines like that, what is the general excitement for a new home console there.

We should know soon enough.

The question is, outside of the hardcore fans that like to stand in lines like that, what is the general excitement for a new home console there.

We should know soon enough.

Isn't it hardcore fans whom are the only ones who queue up for anything? If your going to wait days in front of a store anywhere in the world you must be a hardcore fan.

That was what Shiranui was asking about, as for the general excitement for a new home console I'm not sure but sales numbers should indicate.

But I'm going to guess the PS4 would do fairly well considering the Wii beat the PS3 in sales in Japan last gen and this gen the Wii U has only sold 1.63 Million units in Japan and Playstation is the only other console people in Japan seem to get excited over. (Barely anyone in Japan buys Xbox according to sales figures)

Isn't it hardcore fans whom are the only ones who queue up for anything? If your going to wait days in front of a store anywhere in the world you must be a hardcore fan.

Um yes, exactly as I said. no need to repeat that.

Regardless, I'm more interested in what the launch numbers will be in total. I think the popularity of the games out at launch will have a big impact on that.

(They get given tickets though of what number they were in line so they didn't need to stay there the whole time or camp out for a few days.. This is way better than what people do elsewhere).

That's nothing really new though. It'd be good if everyone made it a standard cause who wants to freeze their ass off really.

Hell, I can remember ToysRus doing it with Buzzlightyear and Tamagochis in the mid 90s.

Um yes, exactly as I said. no need to repeat that.

I think you missed my point, I wasn't repeating you.. I was asking why compare people who queued in line for a product when you are just going to excuse them as hardcore fans?

Aren't the ones who queued in lines around the rest of the world hardcore fans also then? or is Japan special and when people queue in line for days for the PS4 that makes them hardcore fans and to judge general interest you have to wait for sales numbers rather than if they have people queuing up in lines for the PS4 like the rest of the world?

I think you missed my point, I wasn't repeating you.. I was asking why compare people who queued in line for a product when you are just going to excuse them as hardcore fans?

Aren't the ones who queued in lines around the rest of the world hardcore fans also then? or is Japan special and when people queue in line for days for the PS4 that makes them hardcore fans and to judge general interest you have to wait for sales numbers rather than if they have people queuing up in lines for the PS4 like the rest of the world?

when did I say it was unique to Japan? Oh wait, I did not.

If you feel the need to compare the number of people standing in line in Japan to those around the world, knock yourself out. If you have some real numbers, then lay them out. If you don't, then lets just wait for the first official numbers to be released.

I'm more interested in the total sales and software sales then trying to guess at how big the lines were.

PS4 Two Day Sales in Japan (Famitsu): 322,083

That should easily bring PS4 to 6.0-6.1m by end of Feb 2014. From 4.2m on Jan 1 2014 to 6.0m by end of Feb, so about 1.8-1.9m in 2 months.

Xbox probably sold about 500k between Jan and Feb 2014. I highly doubt Xbox launching in much smaller "tier 2" markets is going to do much. We'll see what the price drop and titanfall bundle do for them.

Unless there's some huge market shift PS4 will eventually be 2:1 globally, which is something I predicted way before launch based on consumer and social media metrics. The first two months were simply a matter of supply constraints.

Yikes, they only sold half of what the PS2 did during the same time.

I think a better comparison is the PS3, the PS2 was released 14 years ago to a completely different market.

2006.11.11 [sony PlayStation 3] (?49.980 / ?59.980) - 88.443 (2 days)

Out of the whole list the PS2 is the odd one out

1998.11.27 [sega Dreamcast] (?29.800) - 101.490 (3 days)
2000.03.04 [sony PlayStation 2] (?39.800) - 630.552 (2 days)
2001.09.14 [Nintendo GameCube] (?25.000) - 133.719 (3 days)
2002.02.22 [Microsoft XBox] (?34.800) - 123.929 (3 days)
2005.12.10 [Microsoft XBox 360] (?29.000 / ?39.795) - 62.135 (2 days)
2006.11.11 [sony PlayStation 3] (?49.980 / ?59.980) - 88.443 (2 days)
2006.12.02 [Nintendo Wii] (?25.000) - 371.936 (2 days)
2012.12.08 [Nintendo Wii U] (?26.250 / ?31.500) - 308.570 (2 days)

Not even the Wii managed anything near it.

• Like 1

I think a better comparison is the PS3

Out of the whole list the PS2 is the odd one out

Not even the Wii managed anything near it.

I think a better comparison is the PS2. We will have to agree to disagree.

I think a better comparison is the PS2. We will have to agree to disagree.

Sure, but for conversation sake why don't you let me and others know why you think the PS2 is a better comparison. I've tried to do so above when I mentioned the market being different 14 years ago, and contrasting that to the launch of something like the Wii (still the best seller this generation) not even being able to get near 600k.

Chronologically the PS4 has followed the PS3 as well, not the PS2.

Sure, but for conversation sake why don't you let me and others know why you think the PS2 is a better comparison. I've tried to do so above when I mentioned the market being different 14 years ago, and contrasting that to the launch of something like the Wii (still the best seller this generation) not even being able to get near 600k.

Chronologically the PS4 has followed the PS3 as well, not the PS2.

We feel that with the growing population, the added services and features of the new console, the reduced size of the console it should have easily exceeded the PS2 sales. The market is indeed different and is growing. The console market has taken off. And with no competition at the release (Wii-U is dead), and no Xbox One (not that the X1 would have made a dent in Japan anyway). In addition, the goal of the company is to outpace previous years product sales while increasing revenue and profit.

We feel that with the growing population, the added services and features of the new console, the reduced size of the console it should have easily exceeded the PS2 sales. The market is indeed different and is growing. The console market has taken off. And with no competition at the release (Wii-U is dead), and no Xbox One (not that the X1 would have made a dent in Japan anyway). In addition, the goal of the company is to outpace previous years product sales while increasing revenue and profit.

Are you for real? The only relevant comparison for the PS4 numbers are the Xbone and WiiU sales numbers; a comparison in which the PS4 easily wins. You can't compare the PS4 launch numbers to a console from 15 years ago and deem it a failure because it didn't sell more. The economy and market is completely different. Seriously, get over yourself.

Are you for real? The only relevant comparison for the PS4 numbers are the Xbone and WiiU sales numbers; a comparison in which the PS4 easily wins. You can't compare the PS4 launch numbers to a console from 15 years ago and deem it a failure because it didn't sell more. The economy and market is completely different. Seriously, get over yourself.

Your opinion is noted.

Who is we?  :wacko:

As for saying the console market has taken off, do your research on Japan, the handheld market is now the dominant market over there and has been for years.

Who is we?  :wacko:

As for saying the console market has taken off, do your research on Japan, the handheld market is now the dominant market over there and has been for years.

You asked why I commented the way I did, so I elaborated. I have done my research.

You asked why I commented the way I did, and I have done my research.

Do you agree with me about the shift to the handheld market? If so, how do you think a new home console is going to retroactively change the current markets focus to go back to an era when handheld consoles weren't what they are these days (PS2 era)? Sounds like an impossible expectation, and the reason in which we are better off comparing to the more recent generation when the switch to handhelds/mobiles in Japan was at it's most prevalent. By your company goal logic anyway Sony should be happy that the PS4 has started off far better than the PS3.

Do you agree with me about the shift to the handheld market? If so, how do you think a new home console is going to retroactively change the current markets focus to go back to an era when handheld consoles weren't what they are these days (PS2 era)? Sounds like an impossible expectation, and the reason in which we are better off comparing to the more recent generation when the switch to handhelds/mobiles in Japan was at it's most prevalent. By your company goal logic anyway Sony should be happy that the PS4 has started off far better than the PS3.

I agree that the Nintendo handhelds have taken off, yes.