Windows 9 Concept - A Tablet/Desktop Metro Firefox

I think all that empty space in the "Search And Apps" pic seems less appealing. It doesn't seem like a good usage of space.

Well, that's your opinion, but if you want a Windows 9 mockup, you have to look to Windows 8 design guidelines for that, and not deprecated Windows 95 design guidelines.

I think all that empty space in the "Search And Apps" pic seems less appealing. It doesn't seem like a good usage of space.

Go read up on white space (aka negative space) with regards to UI and web design.

Well, that's your opinion, but if you want a Windows 9 mockup, you have to look to Windows 8 design guidelines for that, and not deprecated Windows 95 design guidelines.

I did. It mentions the same reductionism.

Go read up on white space (aka negative space) with regards to UI and web design.

I know what negative space is. There is way too much of it in the Metro Apps.

I did. It mentions the same reductionism.

So, you don't like it, we get that, but the Windows 95 mockups aren't helping your case. Cluttered option windows are done. Like it or not, negative space really helps. You have no room for a finger, and barely any room for a mouse.

A good UI is easy to use, easy to understand, and flows naturally through the options listed.

I'll respect your opinion on the matter, but I think there is a certain grace to bestowing structure to content using typography and the space that already exists, without resorting to drawing a bunch of lines.

• Like 1

windows

So, you don't like it, but the Windows 95 mockups aren't helping your case. Cluttered option windows are done. Like it or not, negative space really helps. You have no room for a finger, and barely any room for a mouse.

It's that I don't see the functions presented in the "Search And Apps" pic as if they need all of that extra space. But you're arguing for Metro. This is for the desktop. And this isn't Windows 95. The Ribbon UI takes up a lot of space on the File Explorer in Windows 8 and this would be a way to minimize and personalize all those options which in essence is removing clutter.

I'll respect your opinion on the matter, but I think there is a certain grace to bestowing structure to content using typography and the space that already exists, without resorting to drawing a bunch of lines.

I do think there is a certain allotted space that a button should have, I just think there is too much of it on the Metro Apps. Others disagree. They disagree a lot.

There is something else I would like to point out. I do think Apple has read about these design philosophies that are being applied to Microsofts new interface. They read it and tacked it up on a board next to all of their other guidelines to follow. Especially, when you consider the Apple/Swiss Watch thing.

It's not Windows 95, but your mockups look like they're from something you would expect to see in Windows 95. They're using outdated design features.

It's not Windows 95, but your mockups look like they're from something you would expect to see in Windows 95. They're using outdated design features.

What's outdated exactly? The "Toolbar Editor?" I would change a few things about the look of the Toolbar Editor, but I've already stated that. Certainly you don't mean the function of a Toolbar Editor? Didn't they add this kind of functionality to Office?

Okay, so I don't know if I should show this or not, but I also did this concept.

Please if you're going to tell me why you like or hate this, explain why. Hyperbole isn't very informative.

The Toolbar Editor's UI looks rather old. That background grey and those grouping borders are reminiscent of Windows XP or older. However I do very much like the idea of a customizable UI.

Let me pull functions from the Ribbon & place them on the top Ribbon bar for quick access, rather than having to actually dig through the Ribbon everytime. I never have it pinned open so let me auto hide the ribbon menu too. Also show all the icon size option in the status area rather than just two.

What's outdated exactly? The "Toolbar Editor?" I would change a few things about the look of the Toolbar Editor, but I've already stated that. Certainly you don't mean the function of a Toolbar Editor? Didn't they add this kind of functionality to Office?

You do know the Ribbon has a customizable Quick Access Toolbar, right?

post-420821-0-17478400-1393204813.png

1) The colours that you use remind me either of of old beige plastic or dirty glass. The lighter and brighter tints of W8 look more appealing (i.e. the white notification in your above mockup which I almost like and the W8 icons).

2) You've taken so much away from the search interface that it is quite frankly, useless. The filtering options (heck, all options) are gone and the 'Online' part of your search results makes no sense at all. 

3) Your window borders - they don't fit with the current aesthetic of simple and clean. There is too much shadowing and it generally looks dark and like dirty glass to me. 

4) Why separate the Start Button/Apps and the Status icons? You just make it more complicated - 2 separate areas of clutter instead of one single area that proportionally has less clutter, making it look cleaner. 

5) You've reintroduced borders around various buttons and controls - something else that W8 does not do. While perhaps arguably more functional, it does not really look clean or 'Modern'.

6) Inconsistency - Some icons are W8/Metro/Modern, others are W7 and earlier, and others yet are your custom icons with lots of shading and darkness. This doesn't look particularly good. 

7) Assuming the firefox mockups are the default views, everything is too small and cluttered.

8) In your browser, you again take away crucial UI elements. How, for instance, does one close a tab? Open a new tab? 

9) Scrollbars look weird. Are they hovering or are they sitting on the content? You seem to have a small strip of content to the right of the scrollbar. Looks bad, IMO, unless those scrollbars are hovering - in which case, the scrollbar looks weird. 

1) The colours that you use remind me either of of old beige plastic or dirty glass. The lighter and brighter tints of W8 look more appealing (i.e. the white notification in your above mockup which I almost like and the W8 icons).

2) You've taken so much away from the search interface that it is quite frankly, useless. The filtering options (heck, all options) are gone and the 'Online' part of your search results makes no sense at all. 

3) Your window borders - they don't fit with the current aesthetic of simple and clean. There is too much shadowing and it generally looks dark and like dirty glass to me. 

4) Why separate the Start Button/Apps and the Status icons? You just make it more complicated - 2 separate areas of clutter instead of one single area that proportionally has less clutter, making it look cleaner. 

5) You've reintroduced borders around various buttons and controls - something else that W8 does not do. While perhaps arguably more functional, it does not really look clean or 'Modern'.

6) Inconsistency - Some icons are W8/Metro/Modern, others are W7 and earlier, and others yet are your custom icons with lots of shading and darkness. This doesn't look particularly good. 

7) Assuming the firefox mockups are the default views, everything is too small and cluttered.

8) In your browser, you again take away crucial UI elements. How, for instance, does one close a tab? Open a new tab? 

9) Scrollbars look weird. Are they hovering or are they sitting on the content? You seem to have a small strip of content to the right of the scrollbar. Looks bad, IMO, unless those scrollbars are hovering - in which case, the scrollbar looks weird. 

I got to say I really appreciate the point by point analysis going through this whole desktop/tablet concept experiment.

1. It's a black tint. I do like it as it's used in AeroGlass and Windows Phone. I do like when white backgrounds in dialog boxes are used as well.

2. The "Online" options were taken from the auto results in Windows 8.

3. Same as the answer to Number 1.

4. I was just trying to get rid of the empty space in the middle of task bar and I like borders. I really enjoy the way the Taskbar in the original post looks. It leaves room for a dialog box for incoming messages which I think would be really nice. One of the problems I have with Metro is the lack of borders in certain areas. Every time I look at a vertical File Menu in Windows 8 Metro app I think it's off putting that the text options have no shared border. A border I think perfectly allocates the space where a button begins and ends. I like minimal, but that is a pet peeve I have about Metro.

5. Same answer as above.

6. I didn't bring most of the Metro iconography in to this concept. It was merely to demonstrate a tablet/desktop app. If I could have started this post over I would have included the iconography. This post seems to have veered off into the "Better Metro, Not This" category. I was kind of just wanting to illustrate a desktop/tablet app that could have some design aesthetic to the Desktop and Metro. I really wish I would have changed those icons first.

7. I don't think it's too small. I think things could go down a few sizes in Metro. I do think the option to control font size should be present though.

8. The Firefox button when tapped or clicked would present a vertical file menu of actionable options. Much the same way the bookmarks icon is highlighted and the bookmarks appear as a vertical menu. I would center the text on those options and make them a little bit bigger though.

9. The Scroll Bars would be hovering.

You do know the Ribbon has a customizable Quick Access Toolbar, right?

attachicon.gifQAT.PNG

Wait..  I know I can click on that upside down eject icon & add some icons &/or move under the Ribbon, but how are you getting icon view & options in there?

I have had a play around but I figure it out..! :pinch:

EDIT: Figured it out. Right click on item.

That's pretty useful tip. Thanks. Though it would be nice to get them on the Ribbon bar as per my mock up.