Virtual cloning fun!

Hello,

Im trying something that its so crazy, it might just work....

I forgot something (stupid, if I lose it I dont care) on a HDD I formatted but before I formatted it, I made a image of it (there was about 300GB of data of a 1TB HDD)

Now, I have a freshly formatted 1TB HDD. I actually made a VM with a virtual HDD of 300GB. Clonezilla didnt allow me to do it. So i said ###### it, I made another virutal HDD with 1.1TB HDD (bigger than what I actually have in the system).

So resume: I have a host system with a 1TB HDD that has Windows 7 installed and I made a virtual machine with a 1.1TB virutal HDD and Im restoring a 1TB image that has 320GB of data on it :laugh:

Will it work? Stay tune in 4 hours and 41 minutes.

"Stay tune in 4 hours and 41 minutes."

What would take that long?  Are you doing this over wireless B or something?  Why would it take anywhere near 4 hours to write 320GB of data?

Hello,

It was reading at 1.25GB.....It was a 1000....are the network adapters in VMWare 1000 too?

It finished. Tommorow Ill see if this idea worked or not.

Yeah the E1000 are gig nics, the vmxnet3 are 10Ge

Where you moving from virtual to virtual to virtual - same datastore?

Hello,

Yeah the E1000 are gig nics, the vmxnet3 are 10Ge

Where you moving from virtual to virtual to virtual - same datastore?

I was restoring a Clonezilla image from a RAID5 NAS over a gig network onto a new VM which has network in bridge mode.

It felt slow too but I just thought that it was a VM thing.

Hello,

It acutally worked :laugh:

Loaded up a LiveCD on the VM and I could access all my files perfectly and recovered them.

All it takes up (assuming of course you choose the option that the virutal hard drive grows) is what you restore. I imagine that if I had to restore over 1.1TB it would have crashed/not worked..

How big was the image file 1TB, or 320GB or less?

what it a bunch of smaller clonezilla files like file.aa, file.ab ?  Or just one file?  Using partclone you should be able to change this to a normal .img file and then you could of just mounted it and pulled the file(s) off you needed.

So you ran the restore over the network?  If you were going to do a restore to the vm disk, would of been faster I think if you would of copied the image file(s) from your nas to disk1 of your VM running clonezilla, then restore to disk2 also attached to the vm.

Hello,

I was restoring a Clonezilla image from a RAID5 NAS over a gig network onto a new VM which has network in bridge mode.

It felt slow too but I just thought that it was a VM thing.

Depends on where you were writing the data too as well how your VSwitch is setup. As I understand it running your ESXi (assuming you're running this) management port off the same physical NIC can impact performance a fair bit. 

But it sounds to me like you were writing to a slow point on the receiving end.

No he is not running esxi as of yet, atleast not on hardware - he might be running it a nested VM on some other vm software - but his gen8 microserver is not in operation as of yet from my understanding.  The fan makes too much noise ;)

As to running vmkern on the same physical port as normal network, it does not impact performance to and from vms - what it can do is impact files to the datastore.

Hello,

Depends on where you were writing the data too as well how your VSwitch is setup. As I understand it running your ESXi (assuming you're running this) management port off the same physical NIC can impact performance a fair bit. 

But it sounds to me like you were writing to a slow point on the receiving end.

This was from a NAS to a VM10. I mean I don't think a virtual receiving end can have THAT much of a impact, can it?

And no, not running ESXi yet because Im waiting for a replacement box.....once Im running it, youll see a lot more threads from me surely ;)

Where was clonezilla running that it was pulling the image file from your NAS, and then writing it over the network to the VM?  On another vm, on that vm via a liveCD?

Where you not having speed issue with this nas awhile ago - didn't one of the disks die?  What kind of speed do you get just moving the img across the network, keep in mind what exactly is the process of how the clonezilla reads the file?  Have not played with clonezilla in quite some time so I am rusty on the details of its inner workings.

If I only need a few files off the img, I would of looked to mounting the image directly vs retoring it to something, and then reading the files.

Hello,

Where was clonezilla running that it was pulling the image file from your NAS, and then writing it over the network to the VM?  On another vm, on that vm via a liveCD?

The image file from Clonezilla was stored on a NAS. I created a VM geared towards W7 (the image was from W7) and I booted up on that VM, a livecd of Clonezilla to pull it back (by LiveCD I mean I mounted the LiveCD onto the VM, I didnt use a CD-R or anything)

Where you not having speed issue with this nas awhile ago - didn't one of the disks die?

:laugh: One of the drives in my home RAID5 died. I understand the confusion perfectly though.

What kind of speed do you get just moving the img across the network, keep in mind what exactly is the process of how the clonezilla reads the file?  Have not played with clonezilla in quite some time so I am rusty on the details of its inner workings.

Ill do a robocopy today of just the image file and tell you :)

And I have to ask: You say you dont use Clonezilla. What do you use BudMan? Maybe there is something better out there that I havent heard. And even if I have/havent, I wanna try it out for fun :laugh: Except dd; I know this could have been done with dd (I actually looked up how to do it with dd but remembered I had a CloneZilla disk around) but I perfer like a small child coloring books :laugh:

BTW, by default, it uses this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partclone

If I only need a few files off the img, I would of looked to mounting the image directly vs retoring it to something, and then reading the files.

I know I tried mounting it but....now that you mention it, I dont remember if it didnt allow me to access it, I simply forgot about it, found out network mounting is a bad idea (I only do it for things like installing Office or some small software), etc. Im gonna try that today as well and see if my life could have been easier.

By default, it uses this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partclone