Polygon: MS needs to admit the XB1 Kinect is a peripheral, not a pack-in.

Bottom line my opinion is it should be an option as the article states. If people want to use it and like it, let them purchase it and do so. If they do not need it and have no use for it like myself, do not include it and raise the price of the console by $100. It is not like it is necessary for the overall experience, and hell I can even make the argument it detracts from it overall as it is not always reliable.

The weird thing is, some people dont have the trouble that others do. That creates a clear divide among users and illustrates how the tech is not robust enough to work for everyone and therefor cannot stand on its own.

I'm sure there are those that truly believe that people are lying when they claim features work for them.

This reminds me of what Sony did at one of the last E3s before the end of last gen where they basically called out the gmaing community to just all get along :laugh: That was during the rise of motion controls with Move and Kinect around. There was quite a bit of animosity surrounding the adoption of these things.

I think you have already forgotten about the epic fail that is the WiiU :D

Yeah, but people gave that console more than 3 months before labeling it as such for the most part.

Just look at how they treated Kinect in the events leading up to launch. Look at how they talked about it in relation to the console itself. MS really did shift their strategy with Kinect vs last gen. Sure they have a Kinect Sports title in the works and yes there will be third party titles that are motion controlled, but its clear that MS was not going to pour millions pushing Kinect or pushing motion controlled games. Look at their advertising.

Again, if all Kinect is good for is to play motion controlled games, then its doomed to failure becuase no amount of motion controlled games will win over the core gamer beyond the small group that likes casual and core titles. My point is MS has been trying to make it less about motion controlled games and more about its general utility for using the system or being used in core titles where it makes sense (i.e. voice controls).

I was talking about the xbox platform. I mean its all well and good that you are playing the role of the stern parent :laugh:, but you represent one person. If there is this swelling of enthusiasm for the xbox platform among the online ocmmunity, its hard to find. Not that I blame people for that, there are plenty of reasons that you could come up with to just move on.

Most people aren't thinking about this in terms of wanting to keep competition around.

I might be one person, but like I have told you, for many years I was called the "Xbox fanboy" of this forum. I'm not saying my opinion counts for more because it comes from me, but for the others like me and those who are ticked off at MS for whatever reason, it isn't because we want to see them fail. Obviously there are a lot of people out there who do want that. I don't think they fully understand what they're wishing for if it were to actually happen. Some see it as a personal competition and something to win. Ironically they'd be the biggest losers of all when they remove choice from the market. Obviously I can only talk for myself but I believe there are others out there who see it the same as myself. Instead of rolling over and letting MS rub our tummys we're saying, actually you know what MS, this stinks, please change it. And like I keep saying, the ones who do enjoy just rolling over for MS and not speaking up actually do more damage than good. I'm not saying people can't enjoy anything either, obviously if you like something say so. But there are some vocal members here who go against that grain just because they see it as a fight. I hope Showan doesn't mind me plugging his Twitter as he has it attached to the forum anyway, but you see two different sides to his opinion on the forum and what he truly thinks away from it. He's actually very negative towards MS and wanting them to change stuff because he sees where Sony's strengths are over the X1.

FTR I think Kuchera is one of the bigger douchebags out there actually. I had a run in with him personally at CES a long time ago now and wanted to punch him in his smug face. And he barely even had a name for himself on Ars at this time but swore his poop did not stink. However this time I do agree with him.

Strong words :laugh: (Y) My money is on you DL ;)

Im not trying to troll but prove a point.... Rather it be Haze or Ryse, or any mediocre game..., I'm trying to say if you don't take a chance, then you'll never know. Kinect v1 was a "Me Too" product. Kinect v2, "Let's see what we can do, if we take out time with it"

Ok just making sure. I don't see what it really has to do with anything though. There are plenty of poor games on both that it's not worth the comparison. I don't think MS needed to included in the box to take the chance though. But we've been through that.

Yeah, but people gave that console more than 3 months before labeling it as such for the most part.

You must visit some really friendly websites because I distinctly remember GameTrailer's and the Invis Wall panel slating the console this time last year. Lego City was just releasing and they were doom and gloom over it already.

I might be one person, but like I have told you, for many years I was called the "Xbox fanboy" of this forum. I'm not saying my opinion counts for more because it comes from me, but for the others like me and those who are ticked off at MS for whatever reason, it isn't because we want to see them fail. Obviously there are a lot of people out there who do want that. I don't think they fully understand what they're wishing for if it were to actually happen. Some see it as a personal competition and something to win. Ironically they'd be the biggest losers of all when they remove choice from the market. Obviously I can only talk for myself but I believe there are others out there who see it the same as myself. Instead of rolling over and letting MS rub our tummys we're saying, actually you know what MS, this stinks, please change it. And like I keep saying, the ones who do enjoy just rolling over for MS and not speaking up actually do more damage than good. I'm not saying people can't enjoy anything either, obviously if you like something say so. But there are some vocal members here who go against that grain just because they see it as a fight. I hope Showan doesn't mind me plugging his Twitter as he has it attached to the forum anyway, but you see two different sides to his opinion on the forum and what he truly thinks away from it. He's actually very negative towards MS and wanting them to change stuff because he sees where Sony's strengths are over the X1.

Strong words :laugh: (Y) My money is on you DL ;)

Ok just making sure. I don't see what it really has to do with anything though. There are plenty of poor games on both that it's not worth the comparison. I don't think MS needed to included in the box to take the chance though. But we've been through that.

My emotions are always gonna be all over the place. I never want any one company getting comfortable. As soon as they get comfortable, you get power trips. Overall I like the Xbox One. But there are times things that drive me nuts.

For one, never try to cheat me (looking at you NBA2K14). I don't mind supporting a product, but said company has to be all in on their end. I gave, PS Move and Kinect v1 a shot.

On this very forum, I went nuts drilling Sony during the summer. But they have proved me wrong (So far).

There were a lot of things Microsoft does that ticks me off. But I never wanted the hardware changed. If you gonna sell me a product, just "all in" from your end...

My emotions are always gonna be all over the place. I never want any one company getting comfortable. As soon as they get comfortable, you get power trips. Overall I like the Xbox One. But there are times things that drive me nuts.

For one, never try to cheat me (looking at you NBA2K14). I don't mind supporting a product, but said company has to be all in on their end. I gave, PS Move and Kinect v1 a shot.

On this very forum, I went nuts drilling Sony during the summer. But they have proved me wrong (So far).

There were a lot of things Microsoft does that ticks me off. But I never wanted the hardware changed. If you gonna sell me a product, just "all in" from your end...

Well I think you'd be in agreement with me then and say Microsoft were very comfortable last generation and they let it go to their head. It's well documented and criticised how Microsoft and Sony switched places. Microsoft came charging out the door telling people you guys are going to love this. Errr scratch that, the internet is melting because they absolutely hate our plans. The only difference is Microsoft were very quick to react. It took Sony much much longer before they started to do that. Microsoft definitely felt like they were in a power position and Sony took them and gamers by surprise.

But I've read your tweets Showan, I know exactly how you feel ;) :P And I know we have a lot in common about how frustrated you are over MS decisions and their lack of urgency/ignoring what seems obvious to the rest of us.

You dont need to defend your position and prove that yours is the majority opinion. No one is saying your position is wrong or trolling, or anything else accept your true opinion.

You really just need to state your case with whatever reasoning got you there. There are trolls and fanboys that are nuts, but for most gamers, they are not just rolling over for a brand when they say they like something. Its so easy to start laying out blanket statements around here and at about every forum on the internet.

You must visit some really friendly websites because I distinctly remember GameTrailer's and the Invis Wall panel slating the console this time last year. Lego City was just releasing and they were doom and gloom over it already.

I dont watch Gametrailer panels most of the time. About the only thing I view on that site are the trailers.

Ok, so the WiiU was labeled the same as the X1 just as quickly. Congrats to Nintendo.

Microsoft came charging out the door telling people you guys are going to love this. Errr scratch that, the internet is melting because they absolutely hate our plans. The only difference is Microsoft were very quick to react. It took Sony much much longer before they started to do that. Microsoft definitely felt like they were in a power position and Sony took them and gamers by surprise.

Taht quick reaction was nice, but it still didnt help them.

Well I think you'd be in agreement with me then and say Microsoft were very comfortable last generation and they let it go to their head. It's well documented and criticised how Microsoft and Sony switched places. Microsoft came charging out the door telling people you guys are going to love this. Errr scratch that, the internet is melting because they absolutely hate our plans. The only difference is Microsoft were very quick to react. It took Sony much much longer before they started to do that. Microsoft definitely felt like they were in a power position and Sony took them and gamers by surprise.

But I've read your tweets Showan, I know exactly how you feel ;) :P And I know we have a lot in common about how frustrated you are over MS decisions and their lack of urgency/ignoring what seems obvious to the rest of us.

Microsoft's Suites drive me nuts to no end. I've never seen a company, who's its own worse enemy. Phil Spencer nor Marc Whitten have the luxury of having J Allards brains and or clout. There's just obvious things they made harder than what it should be simple as pie.

I'm down w/Kinect v2, but Microsoft has to be 100% from their end. I don't want them to shy away from it because I paid for it, and I want my $$$ worth...

You keep on saying this but you are wrong - if "any basic microphone array" could do this, PS4 would have better voice control than Kinect or our TVs will have them.

You don't get to pick and choose hardware features to your liking in a game console. It's the whole package. You may not like it but it is what it is.

Microsoft took the gamble and they still have time to prove it. It's too soon to call "it didn't pay off".

They both function the same on the PS4 and the Xbox One, Xbox One just has more commands which is software side.

I've tried both and I'd say both are about 70% accurate, it may seem like the Xbox One has less accuracy but I think that's just because Microsoft have created more voice commands for the console and therefore your more likely to have to repeat yourself for a command because it has more commands.

It didn't pay off so far, the PS4 almost doubles the sales of the Xbox One globally. But sure there is a chance the Xbox One sales turn around and it does almost as well as the PS4 but early indicators aren't looking good for the Xbox One. I personally don't think its soley due to Kinect, its due to a few factors (including kinect) which made Microsoft decide to sacrifice system specs in favor of these features.

They both function the same on the PS4 and the Xbox One, Xbox One just has more commands which is software side.

I've tried both and I'd say both are about 70% accurate, it may seem like the Xbox One has less accuracy but I think that's just because Microsoft have created more voice commands for the console and therefore your more likely to have to repeat yourself for a command because it has more commands.

It didn't pay off so far, the PS4 almost doubles the sales of the Xbox One globally. But sure there is a chance the Xbox One sales turn around and it does almost as well as the PS4 but early indicators aren't looking good for the Xbox One. I personally don't think its soley due to Kinect, its due to a few factors (including kinect) which made Microsoft decide to sacrifice system specs in favor of these features.

I can back you up on the ps4 vs xb1 voice commands. Having tried both, the ps4 camera mic was definitely reliable for me and the lack of commands is easily fixed in an update. I just hope Sony sees a reason to do that at some point. Right now its just not deep enough. I have had better luck than you as far as reliability rates. Both are hitting at about 85-90% rates. So much plays into that figure.

I'm not an expert on the actual hardware that makes up the mics on each setup, so I can't say if Kinect's mic has a technical advantage. It seems like Kinect handles range better though, as I can be farther away from it then when using the ps4 camera, but both work within a reasonable range.

As far as the X1 having a chance? No need to beat around the bush at this point.

More @ http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/17/5419464/microsoft-xbox-one-remove-kinect-pack-in

A bit long winded, but if MS had listened to the consumer around E3 they'd of heard this kind of chatter loud and clear. People wanted price parity with the PS4, MS essentially told us Kinect can't make that happen, people get upset and ask for it to be optional.

The sales figures would probably not be what they are just now with a $399 launch, and the article does make a good point in that of what exactly do XB1 owners have right now that justifies Kinect? Pretty much only voice commands.

You can argue the sales effect of resolution/FPS differences, and have a point in arguing it not meaning that much, but pricing is one area that's pretty much outright hurting MS.

You're conflating "this kind of chatter" with the average consumer. NeoGAF and N4G aren't representative of the market as a whole. Furthermore, where are you getting the idea that the sales figures are bad? That's a complete fabrication based on the currently available sales information. You're also ignoring the TV integration (although it's not available yet outside the U.S.).

That's not to say there aren't legitimate reasons to criticize the mandatory inclusion of Kinect with Xbox One; I've written about it myself and noted the lack of titles that include significant Kinect features well before other websites... but you're being misleading.

Edit: This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, just in response to some of the Polygon-related comments I'm seeing...

The whole "Polygon is a bunch of Microsoft fanboys" stuff is so overplayed. Looking at their reviews, there's been absolutely nothing to indicate they have a definite preference toward Microsoft or Sony products. The fact that people took it so personally when "The Last of Us" got a good-but-not-great review is just silly -- and I say that as someone who disagreed with their review and thought the game was fantastic. And the conspiracy theories about Microsoft dictating their editorial procedures because they advertise with Polygon? Absurd.

Polygon isn't perfect, but I'll take their professionalism and willingness to accept critique over almost any other gaming website.

• Like 3

The PS3/360 difference was slightly differently fought out. Sony spent a lot of time marketing the PS3 with Blu Ray in the beginning causing them to get sales from media enthusiasts. After that ship started to slow it was then pounding home free MP gaming.

As I mentioned above MS have no such luck with free additional ammo right now, they're losing on the tech specs front with the drama around resolution and FPS.

But that in itself (maybe not to the same degree) actually does play its part here, MS too spent a lot of time earlier marketing the media aspect of their console. I would however argue that when it does come to the XB1, MS have not done a good job with marketing their console at all. 

I agree with the opinion that Kinect should of released with more that utilities it. To say it was included in the box and the numbers which picked the console up at launch, it should of had atleast that one killer app which first-hand showed its potential. It shouldn't be left to speculation with arguments such as, 'every one has one so the developers will work with them'. With the recent news around the 8% being taken off Kinect for GPU reservation. Does that mean that the Kinect can't be used with that 8% taken off of it? Or does it mean they've simply optimised it and the resources needed to process it have been more smartly allocated across the system and away from the GPU?

If it's the prior, then it's back to square one due to the fact that most developers will choose the percentage of grunt to drive the games back up to multi-plat parity. Which is a shame.

Although, I do have high confidence that some uses for it will be very smart and give that 'next-gen' feel in the future. Heck, even when people come round and they sit infront of the TV and it signs them in that's pretty cool. If I pass them the pad and they press the guide button, it shows their dashboard instead of mine which is awesome. Also the benefit of me turning all my system on via voice and watching Netflix without touching my pad is awesome.

Edit: This isn't aimed at anyone in particular, just in response to some of the Polygon-related comments I'm seeing...

The whole "Polygon is a bunch of Microsoft fanboys" stuff is so overplayed. Looking at their reviews, there's been absolutely nothing to indicate they have a definite preference toward Microsoft or Sony products. The fact that people took it so personally when "The Last of Us" got a good-but-not-great review is just silly -- and I say that as someone who disagreed with their review and thought the game was fantastic. And the conspiracy theories about Microsoft dictating their editorial procedures because they advertise with Polygon? Absurd.

Polygon isn't perfect, but I'll take their professionalism and willingness to accept critique over almost any other gaming website.

True. Polygon is leaps and bounds ahead of the cesspool that is NeoGaf. I'm truly surprised, that anyone would use NeoGaf as a serious place to get news.

Regarding the Kinect, it's not easy being MS.

One day, the usual suspects in here are clamoring about the lack of performance and claiming THAT's the reason, it's being outsold by the PS4.

The next day, the same usual suspects are claiming, that the inclusion of the Kinect is to blame! 

The day after that, it's suddenly the price-difference.

Day after that, it was because "MS doesn't understand consumers - just look at the whole 180 fiasco!!!!11 People are punishing them!"

In reality it's probably just because Sony has a history of having better exclusives.

The Xbox One has been on the market in North America for three months. Microsoft has failed to prove the worth of the Kinect hardware, and there are no concrete release dates for experiences that will justify its costs.

Blimey! A whole three months eh?

FFS

• Like 2

They are right about kinect.  I am not against buying an Xbox one if some good exclusives come out, but I absolutely won't buy one until I don't have to also purchase a Kinect I don't want.

True. Polygon is leaps and bounds ahead of the cesspool that is NeoGaf. I'm truly surprised, that anyone would use NeoGaf as a serious place to get news.

Regarding the Kinect, it's not easy being MS.

One day, the usual suspects in here are clamoring about the lack of performance and claiming THAT's the reason, it's being outsold by the PS4.

The next day, the same usual suspects are claiming, that the inclusion of the Kinect is to blame! 

The day after that, it's suddenly the price-difference.

Day after that, it was because "MS doesn't understand consumers - just look at the whole 180 fiasco!!!!11 People are punishing them!"

In reality it's probably just because Sony has a history of having better exclusives.

You know, I see a lot of hate for NeoGaf around the internet, especially here on Neowin, but this comment takes the cake. Why would you compare Polygon and Neogaf? They're nothing alike and nobody has claimed otherwise. One is a news network and the other is a gaming forum just like Neowin's Gamers' Hangout.

As for the rest of your post, the reason there's a different issue every other day is because not one single thing is the cause to the X1's problems. Two of which are correlated (price and kinect).

You know, I see a lot of hate for NeoGaf around the internet, especially here on Neowin, but this comment takes the cake. Why would you compare Polygon and Neogaf? They're nothing alike and nobody has claimed otherwise. One is a news network and the other is a gaming forum just like Neowin's Gamers' Hangout.

As for the rest of your post, the reason there's a different issue every other day is because not one single thing is the cause to the X1's problems. Two of which are correlated (price and kinect).

Someone wrote that they didn't need Polygon, since they used Neogaf for news. That's why.

I'm glad we agree, that there's not one single thing that causes the PS4 to outsell the XB1, even thought different people consistently claim so.

But I do think, it's the first time in console-history that people have named a "winner" three months into the lifecycle of the new consoles. The consoles aren't even selling world-wide yet!

You're conflating "this kind of chatter" with the average consumer. NeoGAF and N4G aren't representative of the market as a whole. Furthermore, where are you getting the idea that the sales figures are bad? That's a complete fabrication based on the currently available sales information. You're also ignoring the TV integration (although it's not available yet outside the U.S.).

That's not to say there aren't legitimate reasons to criticize the mandatory inclusion of Kinect with Xbox One; I've written about it myself and noted the lack of titles that include significant Kinect features well before other websites... but you're being misleading.

The logic is simple when it comes polygon,

MS invested in Polygon + TLoU* review = they are biased and can't be trusted!

Polygon criticizes MS = they are suddenly a legitimate site!

*TLoU = I have not played this game and only read story on wikipedia. Why is this game treated as the best thing since sliced bread? The story is run of the mill zombi survivor shooter and I agree that execution/direction must be certainly adding it to make a really excellent experience but it is hyped to unimaginable extents.

Someone wrote that they didn't need Polygon, since they used Neogaf for news. That's why.

I'm glad we agree, that there's not one single thing that causes the PS4 to outsell the XB1, even thought different people consistently claim so.

But I do think, it's the first time in console-history that people have named a "winner" three months into the lifecycle of the new consoles. The consoles aren't even selling world-wide yet!

I love how you twist things :laugh:

Audioboxer vists Neogaf because people collect news from different sources and discuss it. Just like every other forum does or like Digg and Reddit does.

We don't agree. There are valid reasons why the PS4 is outselling the X1. There also valid reasons why the X1 is lagging in sales.

People wrote off the original Xbox, PS3, Wii U, Wii, DS and 3DS all before they went on sale so it's nothing new if the X1 gets it.

*TLoU = I have not played this game and only read story on wikipedia. Why is this game treated as the best thing since sliced bread? The story is run of the mill zombi survivor shooter and I agree that execution/direction must be certainly adding it to make a really excellent experience but it is hyped to unimaginable extents.

Instead of asking us with an approach that the majority must be feigning how good it is, play it yourself. A little hint, the characters are what are arguably the most important, you're not going to get a feel for that by reading text, only watching the acting.

FTR as well, Polygon was the 2nd lowest score for the game I believe, that adds to the internet conspiracy as you could guess it would.... But on the whole its mostly the behaviour of certain staff members people hate, Arthur Gies being the main target for internet mud slinging. Putting Sony aside it was his behaviour towards EA and Sim City that was some of the worst journalism and attacking of gamers I've ever seen. Then Polygon do about 3 180s re-reviewing Sim City. Was a complete joke. He didn't help himself with the Sony camp by downplaying the spec difference between the XB1/PS4, talking about "secret sauce" with the One (yes he started that meme), and in recent times angered some by caring about tech differences between COD, but ignoring them with TR. Not saying you need to care about any of that, but there's a history lesson about a little of Gies.

And deservedly so. It deserves the hype.

Maybe you should just play it before questioning it? Basing your opinion of a game from reading the plot on wikipedia is not a good idea.

• Like 2

And deservedly so. It deserves the hype.

Maybe you should just play it before questioning it? Basing your opinion of a game from reading the plot on wikipedia is not a good idea.

Umm...where did I question the game? I questioned the fanboy hype you see on sites like reddit or neogaf.

Umm...where did I question the game? I questioned the fanboy hype you see on sites like reddit or neogaf.

Ok, I can't comment on that then as i tend not to spend too much time on those sites so i'm not sure to what extent it is. 

Even still, you should play the game because it's awesome (Y)

I just cant believe kinect sports was not a launch title. Also though the voice works awesome for me it fails if im watching TV.   Gesture controls do not work for me like at all on the dashboard though they do in the training mode for some reason and during kinect sports trial.  A lot of that could be cause i like a dim lit room. Not sure whats up with that maybe im to far