download speed halved! cause?

router speed download internet speed connection

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 ShockD

ShockD

Antagonist

Posted 19 February 2014 - 23:58

Firstly check in your router settings if you've got some unauthorized IPs using your wi-fi. Secondly your best bet would be call the ISP's support, they'll identify and fix the problem faster than we would.

I had a DSL connection at my previous home and my bandwidth speed used to fall drastically like every 2 years. Then I called the ISP, they sent me people to change my router with a newer one and speed was back as usual. That happened like 3 or 4 times. Only once did the cable age (it was some 14 years old) and then the connection was cut entirely.

#17 +jamesyfx

jamesyfx

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 20 February 2014 - 00:08

Try connecting your modem to the test socket which is on your master telephone plate.

To get to it, remove the front plate on your master socket and you'll find another telephone socket buried underneath.. that's the test socket. It's basically a direct connection to the phone lines outside, so it bypasses any internal wiring.

#18 Praetor

Praetor

ASCii / ANSi Designer

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 20 February 2014 - 00:10

Firstly check in your router settings if you've got some unauthorized IPs using your wi-fi. Secondly your best bet would be call the ISP's support, they'll identify and fix the problem faster than we would.

I had a DSL connection at my previous home and my bandwidth speed used to fall drastically like every 2 years. Then I called the ISP, they sent me people to change my router with a newer one and speed was back as usual. That happened like 3 or 4 times. Only once did the cable age (it was some 14 years old) and then the connection was cut entirely.

I've seen cooper wires with cotton insulation that had more than a century (not for ethernet lol), so unless the cable is bent, it will last more than we do. Also bad power suply can make the modem go nuts, but in OP's case it can be anything; i would call the ISP so they can check if the line is OK and the reported speed is OK as well. If yes then the problem is behind the router.

#19 ShockD

ShockD

Antagonist

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:02

I've seen cooper wires with cotton insulation that had more than a century (not for ethernet lol), so unless the cable is bent, it will last more than we do. Also bad power suply can make the modem go nuts, but in OP's case it can be anything; i would call the ISP so they can check if the line is OK and the reported speed is OK as well. If yes then the problem is behind the router.

Yep, mine was badly bent :rofl:  And one day after moving it around with the hoover it just broke. The next day the ISP support comes in and replaces it with a new one and even gave me extra cable in case it breaks again .

Click here to login or here to register to remove this ad, it's free!