Heather Levia is 23-years-old, has twins, works two jobs, and is in nursing school. She works incredibly hard, and therefore has an appreciation for the hard work first responders do. When some firefighters in Olean, New York, came in to order to food after fighting a house fire in freezing temperatures, Levia paid the $83 bill herself. When another round of food was ordered by a different fire department, she asked if the McDonald?s would cover the cost. As WIVB News 4 reports, Ms. Levia believes this was the catalyst in the restaurant?s decision to fire her.

After already paying $83 for the first order of food, Heather then texted her boss to see if the restaurant would pay the bill, since they regularly gave free meals to police officers. Her boss said no. After checking with corporate, Heather was once again told no. Not wanting the fire fighters to pay, she and her coworkers covered the cost.When the firefighters heard that Heather paid the bill, they called her boss and complained because they thought the restaurant had, ?made Levia feel obligated to pay for their meals.? The Olean Times Herald reports when Heather showed up for her next shift, she was fired after 8 years of working for the company. She was told it was because she swore at a superior, but she denies that, telling WIVB, ?I did say this is ?freaking? ridiculous. But it was not implied [sic] to anybody.?

Tom Meyers, the owner of the McDonalds in statement to the news station, said in part?

?We are aware that certain allegations have been made concerning the reasons for Heather Levia?s termination. Out of respect for Ms. Levia and her privacy, it would not be appropriate to comment in detail on the reasons she is no longer employed by our organization. Still, it should be pointed out that the allegations are absolutely not true. We would never penalize an employee for showing appropriate gratitude for the work of our firefighters.?

As for Ms. Levia, she doesn?t regret what she did, saying, ?It?s just wrong. I wish the communities would change and help each other out. I wish that things didn?t have to be the way they are. And if losing my job is going to speak out to the community, then that?s what it?s going to do.? WIVB says she?s in the process of finding a new job and has already received, ?several offers.?

source

I'm not sure how employers work in America but I'm pretty sure you can't just get fired for swearing at a superior. There must be some sort of strikes/warning system in place? 

I'm not sure how employers work in America but I'm pretty sure you can't just get fired for swearing at a superior. There must be some sort of strikes/warning system in place? 

I can't say this with any certainty, but I have a few colleagues that I used to work with in the UK that now work in the US and from discussion with them. I was led to believe you can be fired with little to no reason if the company really wants to. It's not to say it happens that often, but it can.

I remember one guy (An American) was willing to put back an operation because it clashed with a conference he was supposed to be attending because he was worried they may use it against him and with an existing medical condition knew that loosing his current benefits would render him near impossible to find affordable medical cover.

Hello,

Also, since when is "freaking" a swear word anyway?

In the heat of the moment a "frueaking" might have come out and it sounds like something else...

Either way, McDonalds should have covered all costs. And you can bet your ass, a lot of "random inspections" are gonna come to that McDonalds for this so they can put heavy fines on the owner.

I can't say this with any certainty, but I have a few colleagues that I used to work with in the UK that now work in the US and from discussion with them. I was led to believe you can be fired with little to no reason if the company really wants to. It's not to say it happens that often, but it can.

There is an 'at will' clause in the employee handbook here.

She may have often snapped at the management, and a bad attitude, is just as bad as actual swearing, to the managers.

Why is it in the U.S.A that Police officers and Firefighters believe they should pickup take it away food for free?

Also why do they think that employee's of take it away shops should feed them for free.

These Police officers and Firefighters already get paid for what they do.

They get rewarded for their job and if they feel they don't get paid enough or their job doesn't give them satisfaction, then go find another job.

The woman that was sacked should be re-employed by McDonald's and an apology sent to her and a little bonus in her pay cheque.

There are a lot of people that do low paid jobs that are at the interests of the local community and they don't expect free take it away food.

A lot of places give free to police officers because it gets cops to come and go frequently. And who is going to rob a place that is known to have a lot of police visitors? That's why police get free food. it's not that the cops are "doing it" it's the business owners who do it out of their own self interests. And from what I've heard it's usually just free drinks or coffee, not entire meals.

As for fire fighters? They do risk their lives for others so I don't see any harm in giving them free food.

Hello,

Why is it in the U.S.A that Police officers and Firefighters believe they should pickup take it away food for free?

Also why do they think that employee's of take it away shops should feed them for free.

They get rewarded for their job and if they feel they don't get paid enough or their job doesn't give them satisfaction, then go find another job.

The woman that was sacked should be re-employed by McDonald's and an apology sent to her and a little bonus in her pay cheque.

There are a lot of people that do low paid jobs that are at the interests of the local community and they don't expect free take it away food.

Im confused by your post; Are you for or against the police and/or the woman?

BTW, this doesnt happen only in the US.

It's quite common here in London, too. They don't feel it's needed, certainly don't feel its owned to them, and will never ask for free food. Many establishments do it simply because they appreciate that these people put their lives on the line on a regular basis for the rest of us.

Hello,

Im confused by your post; Are you for or against the police and/or the woman?

BTW, this doesnt happen only in the US.

I don't know, never seen it happen in Belgium. I also don't know a single fireman or police officer who would expect it (not that I know that many).

In fact, giving police officers free stuff might even be frowned upon...

• Like 1

they called her boss and complained because they thought the restaurant had, ?made Levia feel obligated to pay for their meals.?

No good deed goes unpunished. They shouldn't have called the boss and exacerbated the confusion.

I don't see anything in that article that seems to suggest that these people expect anything, its something that (in this franchise at least) offer these people for putting their lives on the line to keep us safe. Given that I earn more than an average firefighter in the UK for sitting at my desk and in the grand scheme of things contribute nothing to society's safety, these people deserve ALOT more than they currently get "rewarded" with.

As far as I see it, Police, Firefighters, Doctors, nurses, Soldiers etc etc do not and will never get what they deserve. 

Hello,

I don't know, never seen it happen in Belgium.

Im sure it has happened in Belgium at some point...

What I was saying that it also happens outside of the US; Not everywhere, not everyplace but.....if you want cops protecting your establishment and/or prevent inspections, just do it, as long as they do not abuse.

Hello,

Im sure it has happened in Belgium at some point...

What I was saying that it also happens outside of the US; Not everywhere, not everyplace but.....if you want cops protecting your establishment and/or prevent inspections, just do it, as long as they do not abuse.

of course it probably happened at some point, just like the mailman used to get his coffee.

But there is a big cultural difference between the way we in western europe (I think, might be overgeneralized) treat people in service jobs and the way Americans view them.

Some examples:

- soldiers: you go and greet them, thank them for their service and so on. We most of the time don't see them as anything special or some people even think about them as people who were too stupid to get a normal job so went to the army to play with guns

- firemen: sure, hard en tough job, but we won't stand in awe around them, they get paid for what they do

same goes for police officers etc

I realize that might sound synical, but I guess it's just really a big cultural difference

Sounds like something is missing from the story. I also believe that this employee went a little to far with her good deeds. After her first nice gesture, she should have left it at that. No need to text your boss or get corporate involved. Finish out your work schedule, tap yourself on the back for giving back to the fire department, and go home.

Sounds like something is missing from the story. I also believe that this employee went a little to far with her good deeds. After her first nice gesture, she should have left it at that. No need to text your boss or get corporate involved. Finish out your work schedule, tap yourself on the back for giving back to the fire department, and go home.

Yeah, and when your boss says no still going over his head to corporate to ask again might also have something to do with it ;)

What so your saying she and  the rest of the employyes   did not have the  Right  to feel the need to do a good  Deed for these brave souls who  risk there every day lives to save are lives  in the time of crysis .  you dont feel they had the right to be giving to them  . cause the way you make it sound is they had  no right and it was rude    She did it out of the kindness of her heart because  her Boss  siad  No  and so when the 2nd set of  FFs  came in she  as well as her employees   thought  these   guys risk ther lives for us  so lets  pay for there meal .

It should not matter who  pays fort the meal she  should  not of gotten fired . just think what if you had  been there and offered the  pay for the  FFs  meals  and her boss was there and trying to tell you  a random stranger  customer that you cant do that .

BS she did the right thing so did  her  co-workers  and the fact she worked there for 8-years isa big estimate to her work ethics   t word McDs  and her loyalty . here at  my MCDs  in my town there have been employees including the managers who have given food away for free to police and Fireman who are on the job   after wreck or somthing  and you know what  it is the right thing to do is to be kind 

Yeah, I mean we can't have too many nice gestures in the world.  :rolleyes:

This is what happens when you have no worker protections. People shouldn't be able to lose their jobs over something like this. You shouldn't have to worry that anything you do could leave you without an income, unable to afford rent or feed your children. Giving employers all the power is not in the best interests of society.

Also, since when is "freaking" a swear word anyway?

The sensitive people of society have deemed "freaking" a swear word for a while now. I know two couples who don't want you to speak the word around their kids. They react as if you just dropped an F-bomb! Pathetic really.... :rolleyes:

The sensitive people of society have deemed "freaking" a swear word for a while now. I know two couples who don't want you to speak the word around their kids. They react as if you just dropped an F-bomb! Pathetic really.... :rolleyes:

I'd just tell them to freak off. :p

I'd just tell them to freak off. :p

I'd like to deliver the real thing to them. If nothing else to allow them to experience being genuinely offended. They're decent people otherwise, so I just let it go. Hopefully, they're not picked by aliens for first contact.

Problem is, her boss said no so she went to corporate going over her boss head.  Unless it is a major issue her direct boss is not handling, you never go above your boss.  If so, be prepared for the consequences.  Firefighters calling and complaining didnt help matters any either.

And yes, freaking is not a swear word but the way you say it and the tone behind your voice and show different meaning.  Plus, it is disrespectful to the boss.  Even if the boss is a dick, you need to watch yourself.  Especially if the boss is a dick.

I was a manager for 7 years.  Hated it. But if an employee did this to me, I would of at least given her for formal writeup.

Can someone in the USA actually confirm

I don't see anything in that article that seems to suggest that these people expect anything, its something that (in this franchise at least) offer these people for putting their lives on the line to keep us safe. Given that I earn more than an average firefighter in the UK for sitting at my desk and in the grand scheme of things contribute nothing to society's safety, these people deserve ALOT more than they currently get "rewarded" with.

As far as I see it, Police, Firefighters, Doctors, nurses, Soldiers etc etc do not and will never get what they deserve. 

This should be published and framed.