Best FPS to push GFX?

Asmodai - i think we need a thread reset here. I'm so baffled and confused about this topic now.

Yeah we have gone off topic in several different directions haven't we ;)

lets get back to the basics. forget the Steam/Origin argument and focus on the specific game(s) youre interested in playing. in the end, you can hee and haw all day about how inconvenient those services are, but theyre here, and have been for years. at this point, i dont have a clue how you avoid them.

The initial point related to them was just to say that I would prefer not to install a new distribution service just to get a game to use as a gfx tech demo for my new video card. It went wildly off topic largely because others decided to attack or have me explain/justify why that mattered. I actually don't MIND doing that but it is certainly off topic and I would have been just as happy, no... MORE happy if people just respected my decision not to use them and went on with offering suggestions that fit the criteria I outlined or simply chose not to reply to the thread at all if everything they had to offer did require them. It was absolutely not my desire to "hee and haw" all day about them but that's where people decided to go so I just went along with them, perhaps that's my mistake, it's not like I was drug kicking and screaming onto those topics. I find it highly inconsistent of you to say "Lets get back to the basics" (which I'm fine with) and "Forget the Steam/Origin argument..." (again, fine with me) and then turn around and say "at this point, I don't have a clue how you avoid them." Which prompts one with a clue (me) to attempt to inform one without (you, by your own admission) of how I can manage to do something you apparently perceive as so difficult. I'd also like to point out that at no point did I say I wanted Steam or Origin or anything else to go away so your "theyre here, and have been for years" is both irrelevent and offtopic (ironic considering the point of that paragraph seems to have been to get things back on topic), I'm all for OPTIONS. If you like them GREAT, use them, I respect your choice do so, I'm just asking you similarly respect my choice not to and limit your games suggestions to those that don't require them, and believe it or not there are a lot of those games.

even though 1080p is still the standard, it's not exactly "high def" these days. High end graphics cards can easily push those pixels. If you want to really make your card struggle you need a game that not only has some stunning visuals, but will also run at >HD resolution.

No matter what card you pick you can crank up the resolution to some level and make it struggle. I think I've been clear that that's not what I'm trying to do. I want something that stresses the computational capabilities of my card not the bandwidth. I want something the pumps out TONS of polygons, such as tessellation, or does dynamic things with sharders that couldn't be done on DX9 hardware. An earlier poster seemed to indicate my "mid range" gfx card wouldn't be able to do "next gen" things while you seem to indicate that it'll handle EVERYTHING just fine UNLESS I push it to > HD resolutions. Perhaps "next gen" was a bad term to use, I actually agree which is why it's always in quotes but I couldn't think of a better shorthand for what I was trying to refer to. Throughout this thread though I believe I have clarified what I'm looking for more fully and made clear that it's NOT just pumping up the resolution.

So what if it requires Origin? You say that like it's a bad thing. Try to think of one good reason why it's bad and if you can't come up with one, then you're just regurgitating FUD from 2011.

I prefer not to use Origin. I don't have it currently and I don't want to install if for a single game I intend to just use as a pretty tech demo. At no point did I say Origin was a bad thing, at not point did I say I wish it didn't exist, or anything along those lines. Like it? GREAT! Use it. Is it so hard to accept that others don't? It's an opinion there is no right or wrong, do you get annoyed with people who have different model or colors of cars too? Do you assume that because they didn't buy the same color car as you that they are saying your car color is bad? I spend the money I make the way I choose and I choose not to spend it on games that use Origin, you are free to disagree. I'm not launching a campaign against Origin or asking you or anyone else to stop using it. I have no obligation to explain myself to you and while I wouldn't actually mind it's been taking the thread seriously off topic so I'm going to try to stick with the topic at hand. If you REALLY want to discuss the virtues and vices of various software(games) distribution services as well as other factor that may influence ones opinion of them perhaps we can start a different thread for that. Right now please limit your contributions to this particular thread to games that push gfx capabilities and do not require Origin.

Anyway, other titles like Far Cry 3 and Metro: Last Light will really push your video card.

Thank you for your on-topic suggestions.

I prefer not to use Origin. I don't have it currently and I don't want to install if for a single game I intend to just use as a pretty tech demo. At no point did I say Origin was a bad thing, at not point did I say I wish it didn't exist, or anything along those lines. Like it? GREAT! Use it. Is it so hard to accept that others don't? It's an opinion there is no right or wrong, do you get annoyed with people who have different model or colors of cars too? Do you assume that because they didn't buy the same color car as you that they are saying your car color is bad? I spend the money I make the way I choose and I choose not to spend it on games that use Origin, you are free to disagree. I'm not launching a campaign against Origin or asking you or anyone else to stop using it. I have no obligation to explain myself to you and while I wouldn't actually mind it's been taking the thread seriously off topic so I'm going to try to stick with the topic at hand. If you REALLY want to discuss the virtues and vices of various software(games) distribution services as well as other factor that may influence ones opinion of them perhaps we can start a different thread for that. Right now please limit your contributions to this particular thread to games that push gfx capabilities and do not require Origin.

Thank you for your on-topic suggestions.

You wanted to test a game that pushes graphics but refuse to use Origin for no reason other than "I prefer not to use it". The top 2 most-demanding and best-looking titles are on Origin and you're excluding them for a reason that doesn't make any sense to me. You can't compare using Origin to a colour because the latter is entirely a subjective choice. Whether or not Origin is good is something that can be determined objectively. Does it offer a good selection of games? Are the download servers fast? How does it compare to Steam? If Origin's game selection was reduced to 1 game, then Steam would be immensely superior. I'm not saying you're not allowed to have a preference. Most people like or dislike things for a reason. Your "I have no obligation to explain myself to you" seems fishy to me. Out of all my years on Neowin, I've almost always seen those words typed by people that blindly hate a product or service, just because.

Off-topic, you say? It's directly related to your topic. I also suggested 4 games, 2 of which you were thankful of. Don't tell me to stay on topic in an attempt to sweep your "preference" under the rug. It's your choice, yes.. but you're really missing out on Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3. I have both those games and they run great on my R9 270X.

You wanted to test a game that pushes graphics but refuse to use Origin for no reason other than "I prefer not to use it".

Wrong. I'm being asked to stay on topic so going through a big dissertation of why I choose to use Origin or not would be way off topic. Even if we ignore the off-topic issue though just because I haven't explained my reasons so that you can understand them doesn't mean I don't have good reasons. I'm under no obligation to explain myself to you, deal with it. If you have a problem with it then don't post in the thread. If you want to discuss software distribution systems post another where that's the actual topic, there's a good chance I'll participate.

The top 2 most-demanding and best-looking titles are on Origin and you're excluding them for a reason that doesn't make any sense to me.

There are probably a lot of things that don't make sense to you and it's not my responsibility to explain them to you.

You can't compare using Origin to a colour because the latter is entirely a subjective choice. Whether or not Origin is good is something that can be determined objectively.

Really? What does it mean for something to be "good"? Oh, nevermind... that would again be off topic... you've certainly got me interested though.

Does it offer a good selection of games? Are the download servers fast? How does it compare to Steam? If Origin's game selection was reduced to 1 game, then Steam would be immensely superior. I'm not saying you're not allowed to have a preference. Most people like or dislike things for a reason. Your "I have no obligation to explain myself to you" seems fishy to me. Out of all my years on Neowin, I've almost always seen those words typed by people that blindly hate a product or service, just because.

There are any number of criteria one could use to call one thing good over another. Different people will select different ones of those criteria and even within the same set weight them differently to determine the outcome. I've been steered to stay on topic so having a big discussion about that is beyond the scope of this thread (though I'm not opposed to it if you want to start another one.) I couldn't care less if something "seems fishy" to you, it's not my problem. Lets just pretend, for the sake of getting this topic back on track that it is BLIND HATRED on my part, I don't care what you think about. I'm still willing to entertain suggestions if you have some that fit the criteria for the thread I defined (non-Origin) and again if you really want to have a distribution service discussion start a thread about that but it doesn't belong here.

Off-topic, you say? It's directly related to your topic. I also suggested 4 games, 2 of which you were thankful of. Don't tell me to stay on topic in an attempt to sweep your "preference" under the rug. It's your choice, yes.. but you're really missing out on Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3. I have both those games and they run great on my R9 270X.

Sorry there appears to be some confusion here. I'm thankful for ALL of your suggestions not just two. The reason two of the four were called out was just having to do with where they fell in the message board quoting system not because I didn't appreciate them. The topic has been refined to games that don't require me to install origin (I can't put all the ins and out of the criteria in the subject line and I defined that very early in the thread.) If that means I miss out on Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3 I'll try not to lose any sleep over it. I'm glad you enjoy the games and they run great on your system.

Wrong. I'm being asked to stay on topic so going through a big dissertation of why I choose to use Origin or not would be way off topic. Even if we ignore the off-topic issue though just because I haven't explained my reasons so that you can understand them doesn't mean I don't have good reasons. I'm under no obligation to explain myself to you, deal with it. If you have a problem with it then don't post in the thread. If you want to discuss software distribution systems post another where that's the actual topic, there's a good chance I'll participate.

There are probably a lot of things that don't make sense to you and it's not my responsibility to explain them to you.

Really? What does it mean for something to be "good"? Oh, nevermind... that would again be off topic... you've certainly got me interested though.

There are any number of criteria one could use to call one thing good over another. Different people will select different ones of those criteria and even within the same set weight them differently to determine the outcome. I've been steered to stay on topic so having a big discussion about that is beyond the scope of this thread (though I'm not opposed to it if you want to start another one.) I couldn't care less if something "seems fishy" to you, it's not my problem. Lets just pretend, for the sake of getting this topic back on track that it is BLIND HATRED on my part, I don't care what you think about. I'm still willing to entertain suggestions if you have some that fit the criteria for the thread I defined (non-Origin) and again if you really want to have a distribution service discussion start a thread about that but it doesn't belong here.

Sorry there appears to be some confusion here. I'm thankful for ALL of your suggestions not just two. The reason two of the four were called out was just having to do with where they fell in the message board quoting system not because I didn't appreciate them. The topic has been refined to games that don't require me to install origin (I can't put all the ins and out of the criteria in the subject line and I defined that very early in the thread.) If that means I miss out on Battlefield 4 and Crysis 3 I'll try not to lose any sleep over it. I'm glad you enjoy the games and they run great on your system.

Okay.

M3tqg6x.png

Anno 2070

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Star Swarm Stress Test (Run it in Mantle if you're using the latest beta Catalyst drivers).

As many have said, Cryengine 3, Battlefield 3 and 4 , i would go with 4, it has an updated Frostbite engine and utilizes the CPU more than battlefield 3, Run a map with 64 players and everything( tanks, choppers, you name it.)  and of course it stresses the GPU.

Also running benchmarks is a good way to test everything. 3DMark being the most well suited and most recognized to compare your test results. Often seeing your score against people with similar hardware, will give a very good indication if your PC is performing the way it should.

Ow yeah and if you are into tuning your system, check my thread on optimizing for gaming, it compacts a lot of things in a simple explanation and has tweaking for BF4 in it :).

Cheers

So Metro 2034 requires Steam, Far Cry 3 requires uPlay, and Crysis 3 requires Origin... is that correct? Does nothing just install off a disc and run anymore without requiring an online service... even just in single player mode?

Actually, anything you buy from gog.com, digital and no DRM. The flipside is they older or newish games. Example they have Farcry 1 & 2 but not 3 yet.

The rope physics in Crysis 3 should be more than enough to push your graphics card to its limits.