Google Starts Making The New Google Maps The Default For Everybody

google_plex_new_maps.png?w=738

After just under a year in preview, Google today announced that it is now rolling out the new Google Maps to all of its users as the default option.

Since Google announced the new version of Maps at its I/O developer conference last year, users were able to switch between the two versions. Still, the majority of users, the company tells me, remained on the old version. Starting today, Google will slowly switch everybody over to the new Google Maps. This roll-out will take a few weeks and users who dislike the new version will be able to switch back to the old one for the time being, though at some point, Google will likely turn off the old Maps.

The new version Google announced last year was relatively basic, so until now, Google kept it as an option and didn?t move all users over to the new experience. It was still missing a number of important features, but Google also wanted to get it out at I/O 2013 to see where it still needed to tweak the service and how users would react to it.

Now, Google considers the new Google Maps on par with the original version in terms of features and is starting to push it out to all users worldwide.

More.....http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/19/google-starts-making-the-new-google-maps-the-default-for-everybody/