Sony set to reveal PS4 VR-headset at GDC 2014

ps4 sony vr virtual reality gdc game developers conference

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:55

Rumours of Sony's PS4 virtual reality headset have been running rife since last year, but now an inside source has told TechRadar that they've spent some time with the helmet behind closed doors - and it's almost ready to be revealed.

Our confidential tipster said that they were impressed with the quality of Sony's Oculus Rift competitor. "The quality and resolution are really, really good," they said. "People will definitely be impressed with what Sony's built".

They also told us that they understand Sony plans to announce the headset at GDC 2014, which kicks off in San Francisco on March 17.

Virtually just around the corner

With rumours that Sony might show off some VR games at E3, it makes sense for it to unveil the headset beforehand and keep Las Vegas focused on the software.

Talk of Sony's headset surfaced last year with word that we'd see it unveiled at the Tokyo Game Show, something that never materialised.

Our source told us that "Sony has deliberately taken its time to tweak and polish the headset before revealing it", rather than taking Oculus's approach of releasing the Rift to developers in stages.

Oculus Rift recently told TechRadar that it saw the PS4 and Xbox One as too limited for its headset, so it's good timing for Sony to swoop in and give console gamers a dose of virtual reality.

We've contacted Sony for comment and will update if we hear more.

Source: http://www.techradar...dc-2014-1226620

It obviously exists and GDC seems like a good event to show new tech at.

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Once More 'Round the Sun

• Tech Issues Solved: 9

Posted 21 February 2014 - 13:00

Maybe the OPM reveal cover isn't a game at all :alien:

Interested to see this either way

#3 +FiB3R

FiB3R

aka DARKFiB3R

• Tech Issues Solved: 6
  • Phone: Lumia 930

Posted 21 February 2014 - 13:16

*splooooge*

#4 OP +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 21 February 2014 - 13:18

Maybe the OPM reveal cover isn't a game at all :alien:

Interested to see this either way

Dun dun duunnnnnnn!

Nah I think OPM is definitely a game. The Occulus rift comment above on consoles isn't too promising. I think many might of thought if Sony go and do their own thing MS will nab a deal with OR. I don't think there are any rumours of MS working on their own VR headset?

The Witness would be pretty cool to launch with VR.

#5 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 21 February 2014 - 14:10

Dun dun duunnnnnnn!

#6 JonnyLH

JonnyLH

I say things.

• Phone: Nokia Lumia 920

Posted 21 February 2014 - 14:48

Please be at a mass-market price if true. If so, Day 1.

#7 +warwagon

warwagon

Only you can prevent forest fires.

• Tech Issues Solved: 2

Posted 21 February 2014 - 15:01

I really wish they would have just left well enough alone and just worked with oculus. Can we please standardize this ######.

#8 jerzdawg

jerzdawg

Neowinian

• Tech Issues Solved: 1

Posted 21 February 2014 - 15:15

I really wish they would have just left well enough alone and just worked with oculus. Can we please standardize this ####.

This is most likely a dumb question.. but would Sony's version be limited to only the PS3/PS4?  I assume the input would just be an HDMI port so it would just as easily work with an xb1 or non-sony bluray player?  If thats the case I am not against a little competetion or varying levels of quality...

#9 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 21 February 2014 - 15:18

I really wish they would have just left well enough alone and just worked with oculus. Can we please standardize this ####.

Oculus Rift recently told TechRadar that it saw the PS4 and Xbox One as too limited for its headset, so it's good timing for Sony to swoop in and give console gamers a dose of virtual reality.

#10 compl3x

compl3x

Feels good, dunnit?

• Tech Issues Solved: 1
  • Phone: Samsung Galaxy S4

Posted 21 February 2014 - 15:59

Sony? Standardise/Non-proprietary? Da*** reality are you living in?  :rofl:

If Sony can pull this off, VR could be to them what motion controls were for the Wii. Before you know it:

79zQJJT.gif

#11 OP +Audioboxer

Audioboxer

Hermit Arcana

Posted 21 February 2014 - 16:27

Although Drive Club quite clearly needed a delay, does anyone think VR is why it's kept in the dark as much as it is? Even now we've hardly seen or heard anything since the delay. It's not as if the studio has a bad past of failing to get things out, Motorstorm was there for the start of the PS3, as well as further titles throughout the PS3 life.

#12 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 21 February 2014 - 16:52

Cool stuff, but many questions remain. I hope this is not an Apple TV type of thing where we get constant rumors that its going to be announced, only for the day to come and there is no announcement.

Let's hear about it already! :laugh:

Dun dun duunnnnnnn!

Nah I think OPM is definitely a game. The Occulus rift comment above on consoles isn't too promising. I think many might of thought if Sony go and do their own thing MS will nab a deal with OR. I don't think there are any rumours of MS working on their own VR headset?

Yeah, there were rumors. More than rumors in fact. Remember all those documents leaked before the console launch? They included plans for a some sort of glasses of the VR variety. Plus, there are have been patents awarded to them for aspects of such a headset. Does that mean they are far along with such a product? Who knows.

Sony? Standardise/Non-proprietary? Da*** reality are you living in?  :rofl:

If Sony can pull this off, VR could be to them what motion controls were for the Wii. Before you know it:

79zQJJT.gif

Sony's VR headtset + MS' Kinect could be the future of this, at least an middle step until there is some other full body solution.

#13 Showan

Showan

Neowinian Senior

• Phone: Lumia Icon

Posted 21 February 2014 - 17:36

Seems like a cool idea... That mock-up looks pleasant to the eyes...

But it looks like it would be uncomfortable after an hour or so...

#14 trooper11

trooper11

Neowinian Senior

• Tech Issues Solved: 5

Posted 21 February 2014 - 17:40

I still wonder what the limitations will be considering that the Oculus Rift guys pretty much admit that the next gen consoles could not provide the performance need to create the level of experience that their headset provides.

Maybe that means Sony's headset will be displaying at a lower res than the equivalent Oculus Rift headset. I'm interested in seeing what they have come up with.

#15 soniqstylz

soniqstylz

Neowin Trophy Slore

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:50

I still wonder what the limitations will be considering that the Oculus Rift guys pretty much admit that the next gen consoles could not provide the performance need to create the level of experience that their headset provides.

Maybe that means Sony's headset will be displaying at a lower res than the equivalent Oculus Rift headset. I'm interested in seeing what they have come up with.

Quite possibly.  I'd hold out hope that developed in-house for a single system would help at least come close, like first-party developers.  It might not quite hit OR, but it might be better than if OR had to develop the system to work with PC, PS4, and X1 specs.