Do you still use optical media? (Burning, movies, music, games etc.)

Optical media usage  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use optical media?

• Yes, frequently.
    • Here and there. Usually when there is no alternative.
    • Nope, no use for it whatsoever.
    • op-ti-cal? I'm unfamiliar with that technology. Must be some old dinosaur tech.

This one is probably more about burning stuff, but I thought I would make it more  general.

I have a pretty substantial blu-ray collection so I still watch movies in that way. I also use discs for games. I can't remember the last time I burnt something and my CD collection is collecting dust..somewhere.

I burn copies of Windows as a backup, I use physical media for my consoles. I did start building a bluray collection but scrapped that and went digital. I'm happy enough with compressed 1080 downloads. 

Yes, all the time.

Still watch DVD's and Blu Rays, use discs for some games.

And at work we burn scanned images to CD/DVD all the time.

Yes, all the time.

Still watch DVD's and Blu Rays, use discs for some games.

And at work we burn scanned images to CD/DVD all the time.

I know this is off-topic, but I have to know: what the hell is your avatar about? Every time I see it I always thinking "wtf is that"? A scarecrow man? A clown who was too cheap to buy a proper clown wig?

I know this is off-topic, but I have to know: what the hell is your avatar about? Every time I see it I always thinking "wtf is that"? A scarecrow man? A clown who was too cheap to buy a proper clown wig?

It's the character Grumio from the UK comedy series Plebs

I still buy DVDs and Blu-rays for movie watching, but get my music from downloads.

For rentals, I do a lot of XBox video, but I also still have a Netflix DVD service.

Since everything isn't available streaming or download yet, I can't eliminate optical media buying or renting just yet. Maybe if XBox or VUDU offered Lost In Space . . . I need my Angela Cartwright fix!

Now for burning, I rarely use optical these days - I occasionally burn DVDs to share videos, and I bade recovery discs for my computers, but other than that? USB drives and network shares.

Only for Xbox 360 / Xbox One games, i own Blu-rays i've got for christmas / birthdays over the years, however i've ripped all these to MKV's so the discs never get used.

I buy all my PS4 games on Disc, don't plan on changing.  Also I burn iso's of say windows, or linux to DVD's when I need to move them.  However my music, tv shows, and movies are all digital.

DVDs through Redbox is still the best bang-for-my-buck when it comes to rentals.  If Amazon/Google/Apple/Microsoft would lower their rental prices by just $1.50, I don't think I'd bother using Redbox anymore (all of those can easily be streamed to my living room via XBox 360 and Apple TV...well, maybe not Google so much).

But..yeah... my family still uses DVDs frequently.  Don't really use optical discs at all when it comes to my PC and Mac.  I think my PC DVD-RW drive is busted.  Those things seem to stop working if you don't use them in awhile...i suspect because of dust build up or something.

Sort of. 

I still use .iso files and boot media, however I have them on a USB 3 stick because it's so much faster.  I don't know whether that counts or not.

I use CDs in my stereo because it's a high end stereo and CD sound directly through it's own CD player is still superior to any ripped format being played through onbard sound.

I use media only when I have to. For everything I used to use a bootable disc for I now use bootable USB drives. From installing Windows to booting to utilities, it's so much more convenient and fast.

Yes, I have an extensive Japanese Anime dvd, and slowly growing blu-ray collection

A lot of them are no longer made, out of print, and not available for legal streaming. 

I've also bought from Amazon Japan (and shipped) about 7-10 Anime soundtracks I can't buy online to the United States.

Yes, I have an extensive Japanese Anime dvd, and slowly growing blu-ray collection

A lot of them are no longer made, out of print, and not available for legal streaming. 

I've also bought from Amazon Japan (and shipped) about 7-10 Anime soundtracks I can't buy online to the United States.

For situations like that I create digital copies and stream them to all my devices via my Plex server.

I still buy DVDs and Blurays and movies and TV shows that I want to own, but that's all. My computer doesn't have an optical drive, and I haven't needed it once.

One of my computers doesn't like to boot from a usb stick, so whenever I need to reinstall the OS, I have to use a burned disc to do so. Same thing at work, we still have a bunch of older PCs running XP and we have to use optical media when reinstalling the OS.

Otherwise, I'd much rather just use a usb stick, it's so much faster and more convenient too.

My car is a 2008 model with a 6 CD changer and no USB support, so it's all CDs for me (although it does support MP3, woot!). My wireless network is also too unreliable for streaming HD movies so I tend to burn them on DVD-ROM. Lots of optical discs around. :P

Only to play music CD's, nothing else. Never even had a DVD player for the TV, we have always either just watched DVR recordings or streamed ever since we dumped the VHS (which was also over 10 years ago).

When i built my last computer a few years back. Must be 4-5 years now. I bought a blu-ray writer for it and i still have the blank blu-ray i got with the drive.

So you can tell how much it has been used.

I've very rarely put a disc in it.

The only times it has been used is usually burning something for a friend who doesn't have a media PC or media box. I mainly just give them a pendrive with the files on it. So much faster.

My car is a 2008 model with a 6 CD changer and no USB support, so it's all CDs for me (although it does support MP3, woot!). My wireless network is also too unreliable for streaming HD movies so I tend to burn them on DVD-ROM. Lots of optical discs around. :p

Heh. multiple disc changers used to be the <snipped> back in the day.

Edited by Barney T.
Bypassed swear filter