180 posts in this topic

Posted

Just turned on my Xbox and got an invite for the March update. Will be downloading soon. Anyone else get a code?

Just FYI there is no sign up, it's invite only to registration then Microsoft will select applicants.

Since we first launched Xbox One, we have been thrilled to see our fans spending millions of hours on Xbox Live. Your enthusiasm reinforces our commitment to making Xbox One and Xbox Live the best place for gamers and entertainment fans.

This week marks a big week for Xbox One as we will start to roll out our first product update for Xbox One. As previously shared, this update offers many new improvements

Posted

Was on my Xbox an hour or so ago and got nothing :(

Posted

Nothing here.

If its true that they have at least a short term plan to roll out updates once a month, thats a great sign that they are taking improvements seriously.

Posted

Got it! I feel so special lol

Posted

I got it, just didn't realize it was for the March update. :)

Posted

This is so retarded. I thought the codes gave you access to the preview but no, Microsoft will review all the registrations and whittle down the applicants even more.

Wtf is the point in sending selective invites in the first place. Waste of bloody time :no:

Posted

This is so retarded. I thought the codes gave you access to the preview but no, Microsoft will review all the registrations and whittle down the applicants even more.

Wtf is the point in sending selective invites in the first place. Waste of bloody time :no:

Obviously its not a waste of time for them. I doubt they did it that way jsut to anger you.

Its free access to future updates, I wouldnt worry too much about it.

1 person likes this

Posted

Munky has strayed from the dark side.  Now they will stop at nothing to destroy him...  :shiftyninja:

3 people like this

Posted

Obviously its not a waste of time for them. I doubt they did it that way jsut to anger you.

If they want the best feedback possible they should be taking as many applicants as possible. They also shouldn't be wasting time turning it into an X Factor audition.

I'm not saying the program is a waste of time, I'm saying their selection process is.

Posted

If they want the best feedback possible they should be taking as many applicants as possible. They also shouldn't be wasting time turning it into an X Factor audition.

I'm not saying the program is a waste of time, I'm saying their selection process is.

What in the world has gotten into you?

X Factor audition? :laugh:

To remind you of the past beta programs on the 360. That program you had to first sign up for and then you would be selected at some point. Not everyone that signed up got in immediately. Same thing here, the only difference is that you put in a code and join the pool of testers.

3 people like this

Posted

Beta tested last 4 OS updates, haven't seen anything yet......

Posted

Got an invite, though I'm not sure if I really want to beta test with my wife and kids using it for Netflix.

Posted

Sounds good to me, monthly updates should be the norm for most of this year, by fall I bet it'll be pretty flushed out with features. This also sounds like they're not just adding you to the march update but all future updates going forward, something different from before.

Posted

Is this March update the one that is rumoured to give developers an updated SDK that has been said to help them out automatically on how they use esram and which 1 developer has come forward and said they will easily hit 1080p with the new SDK?

Posted

Indeed.

Got my invite, but I sure hope I am elected as part of the program. I have been a Live member for 11 years, so please throw me a bone :)

Posted

Is this March update the one that is rumoured to give developers an updated SDK that has been said to help them out automatically on how they use esram and which 1 developer has come forward and said they will easily hit 1080p with the new SDK?

It could be but we don't know for sure yet, I expect some new SDK for the Xbox One to come out at build at least.

Posted

What in the world has gotten into you?

X Factor audition? :laugh:

To remind you of the past beta programs on the 360. That program you had to first sign up for and then you would be selected at some point. Not everyone that signed up got in immediately. Same thing here, the only difference is that you put in a code and join the pool of testers.

Exactly, what was wrong with that sign up process? Why is it multi-stage selection now? They could be sending codes to people who have no interest, so completely missing their target user altogether.

No need to remind me, I know exactly how they worked, which is why it's bewildering they're screwing with something that wasn't broken. Especially for features they perfected 5 years ago!

They've already made a blog post on what will be included. The news article on the front page had all the relevant links.

OP updated.

Posted

I wonder if they are done sending out codes...

Posted

Exactly, what was wrong with that sign up process? Why is it multi-stage selection now? They could be sending codes to people who have no interest, so completely missing their target user altogether.

No need to remind me, I know exactly how they worked, which is why it's bewildering they're screwing with something that wasn't broken. Especially for features they perfected 5 years ago!

Maybe I'm missing a piece of the process you had to go through. You were sent a code that you then had to register. Registering that code told MS that you are interested in the beta. That means you are now part of the pool of users that will want to take part in this stuff in the future. They will select testers as they need them out of that pool. Compare that to the 360 method: You went to a website and signed up, which told MS that you wanted to do beta testing. They would then select people from that pool to participate when a beta came up.

I think the reason they changed it from going to a website to just sending X1 users a code is that they could get more willing testers this way. Since most gamers don't follow these gaming sites/forums/blogs like we do, they probably missed many of the announced betas on the 360. Here, everyone will know its going on becuase they will be contacted by MS with a code.

Posted

Maybe I'm missing a piece of the process you had to go through. You were sent a code that you then had to register. Registering that code told MS that you are interested in the beta. That means you are now part of the pool of users that will want to take part in this stuff in the future. They will select testers as they need them out of that pool. Compare that to the 360 method: You went to a website and signed up, which told MS that you wanted to do beta testing. They would then select people from that pool to participate when a beta came up.

I think the reason they changed it from going to a website to just sending X1 users a code is that they could get more willing testers this way. Since most gamers don't follow these gaming sites/forums/blogs like we do, they probably missed many of the announced betas on the 360. Here, everyone will know its going on becuase they will be contacted by MS with a code.

I just think it's redundant and lacking in effiency. Not trying to make a big deal out of it, just giving my opinion.

Hope they go back to the old sign up process next time.

Posted

I just think it's redundant and lacking in effiency. Not trying to make a big deal out of it, just giving my opinion.

Hope they go back to the old sign up process next time.

Me too.

Posted

Again, its no different then the old process (code vs website), so I'm not sure what you guys are upset about, but if it feels diffrent to you, then that is all that matters.

Posted

Again, its no different then the old process (code vs website), so I'm not sure what you guys are upset about, but if it feels diffrent to you, then that is all that matters.

It's slightly different. If people wanted in on the beta, they registered and maybe they got in. Now invites are being sent randomly and I am sure some people won't be interested. The old method they knew 100% of the people that signed up were going to be interested in doing the beta
1 person likes this

Posted

It's slightly different. If people wanted in on the beta, they registered and maybe they got in. Now invites are being sent randomly and I am sure some people won't be interested. The old method they knew 100% of the people that signed up were going to be interested in doing the beta

Andy pointed out that you had to submit the code in order to accept being part of the beta. Then you would be selected at some point. Getting the invite does not mean you are in the beta, so its basically just like getting an email saying you could be in the beta if you follow a link in it. Anyone not interested ignores the message.

I understand a little more now though. The issue is that they dont like the random nature of the invite process. Fair enough.