Update: GOG - "Getting back to our roots"

GOG Regional Pricing  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider regional pricing a good way forward for GOG?

• Yes
    • No

One: DRM-free forever. Abandoning fixed regional pricing means it will probably take longer to get some games, but you've made it clear that sacrificing fair pricing for more DRM-free games isn't acceptable.

Two: We will adamantly continue to fight for games with flat worldwide pricing. If that fails and we are required to have regional prices, we will make up the difference for you out of our own pockets. For now it will be with $5.99 and $9.99 game codes. In a couple of months, once we have such functionality implemented, we will give you store credit instead, which then you will be able to use towards any purchase and cover the price of it in full or partially. Effectively gamers from all around the world will be able to benefit from the US prices.

This is why I buy from GOG whenever possible. They had me at the beginning with DRM-free forever (I hate getting cracks for stuff I bought).. doesn't affect me personally being in the US, but listening to their customers and then taking a financial hit for them when a publisher wants to play pricing games? Color me impressed.

GOG is the best provider ATM its a shame the others don't follow by dumping their mandatory bloatware and online accounts for single player games.

I don't like it, personally, so I will be getting these games 'by other means' now ;)  So, basically, they are the ones getting 'shafted', in the long run :)

Adi?s GOG Amigos.

A lot of games that interest me that first appeared on GOG.com, turned up on Steam later anyway or via Humble Bundle (e.g. Duke Nukem, Shadow Warrior, Doom, etc).

The DRM I could care less about as I'm happy with Gabe's monopoly on my lunch money during a sale.

I really do think Valve observe what they (GOG) resurrect then produce a Steam version if it becomes zombie status. Certainly seemed that way with Duke Nukem 3D.

• 5 months later...

Rise my pretty, rise!

Here's the list of the current regional priced games:

Age of Wonders 3
Age of Wonders 3 - Deluxe Edition
The Witcher 3
Divinity: Original Sin
Divinity: Original Sin - Source Hunter DLC
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter - Special Edition
1954 Alcatraz
Always Sometimes Monsters
Amnesia: A Machine For Pigs
Blackguards Special Edition
Blackguards: Untold Legends DLC
The Book of Unwritten Tales
The Book of Unwritten Tales: The Critter Chronicles
Broken Age
Broken Sword 5
Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
Deponia 3
Gods Will be Watching (likewise the Special Edition)
Gomo
Guacamelee! Gold Edition
Luftrausers
Memoria
The Night of the Rabbit
OlliOlli
The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief
Shadow Warrior (2013)
Space Run: Fast and Safe Delivery
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack
The Whispered World: Special Edition

Most of them were added or changed in the past 24 hours. The list was compiled by people in this topic.

In related news, GOG has a 75-80% off promo on 35 games that will disappear in 5 days due to GOG's fair price policy and/or currency exchange rates (currently unclear). The bulk of the games belong to Nordic, which will be pulling all their old games (e.g. The Raven stays with regional pricing). Here's a more detailed, but still fairly vague explanation from a GOG representative for why this is happening.

While I'm torn about buying from that promo (already have a couple of them), I will make an exception for Silver since I'm very fond of it and maybe consider others.

• 7 months later...

It happened. Almost the entire catalogue is now regionally priced.

With an all-new website language, localised customer support, and a dedicated Russian forum, we're hoping to become the right place for all of our Russian-speaking gamers. We

I don't know about pricing, but IMO, GOG has a few advantages over steam.

When you download a game, it gives you the full, protection/DRM free setup file. You can copy and install it as many times as you want, on as many computers and windows installations you want. No need to download it again (at least it was like that the last time I checked, which was a long ago).

When an old game is made available on GOG, you can be absolutely sure that it runs perfectly on modern windows OSes. Steam has a terrible track record when it comes to old games. Take for example, the original max payne. It's available on steam yet has no sound on windows vista and up.

GOG games usually come with extra stuff, like the OST, game art, original guides and manuals, etc.

If I were to buy a game that was available on both steam and GOG, I'd definitely go with GOG; no questions asked.