Termination of the Remaining Online Services for Gran Turismo 5

GT5 Updates

As previously mentioned in past announcements, the remaining online services for Gran Turismo 5, including Online Lobby, Seasonal Events, Museum, News, Community, Remote Race, Log in Bonus, Online Dealership and DLC purchase, will no longer be available after 03:00 EDT, 30 May, 2014.

We would like to thank everyone for their passion in supporting Gran Turismo 5?s online services, and we look forward to providing even better online services for Gran Turismo 6.

Regarding DLC availability after end of service

All DLC for Gran Turismo 5 will be removed from the PS Store on 30 April 2014. Please take note of the following precautions regarding the items listed below.

"Racing Car Pack" and "Course Pack" (including those purchased as part of the "Complete Pack")

After you have purchased those items, please complete the following steps before the online services are terminated.

1. Select the Downloadable Content icon on the GT5 home screen and install the purchased items.

2. Access the PlayStation?Store from the XMB and enter the "Gran Turismo 5" section. Purchase the [Family Upgrade] for the items in question (free of charge).

By following the above 2 steps, you?ll be able to use the items even after the termination of the online services. If you delete the GT5 Game Data after the termination date of the online services , you?ll be able to download and install them again. You can find the instructions in the ?How to download the DLCs when you deleted the Game Data? section on this page.

You can find more details about the "Family Upgrade" item following the corresponding FAQ page in the Related Link section below.

"Paint Pack" and "Racing Gear Pack" (including those purchased as part of the "Complete Pack")

After you have purchased those items, select the Downloadable Content icon on the GT5 home screen and install the purchased items before the online services end.

You will be able to use the items even after the termination of the online services; however, you will NOT be able to install them again if you delete the GT5 Save Data after the online services end.

Any other DLC items

You can use the items even after the online services are terminated without any special operation. After you have purchased those items, select the Downloadable Content icon on the GT5 home screen and install the purchased items before the online services end. If you delete the GT5 Game Data after the termination date of the online services, you?ll be able to download and install them again. You can find the instructions in the ?How to download the DLCs when you deleted the Game Data? section on this page.

How to download the DLCs when you deleted the Game Data

In case you deleted the GT5 Game Data and the DLC is removed from the game, you can download them again from the [Download List], accessible in the PlayStation?Store or by selecting [PSN] > [Account Management] > [Transaction Management] from the PS3? XMB.

Regarding Gran Turismo TV

Distribution of all programs on Gran Turismo TV within Gran Turismo 5 will cease on 14 March 2014. The programs you have purchased will be available for viewing and downloading from [My List] during the availability period.

The services for Gran Turismo TV within Gran Turismo 5 will be terminated completely on 14 March 2015. All programs after this date will not be available except the opening and the ending movies.

http://eu.gran-turismo.com/us/news/00_4372104.html

Not sure if this was posted before, but Sony announced at the end of last year they were retiring some of their games online servers, including GT5. MAG and the entire Resistance series. Everybody's Golf World Tour and SOCOM 4 have already gone.

This is a step too far though, why does the DLC need to go too :no: Really ****** about it personally. GT5 is more complete than GT6 is and the Academy Edition isn't even 2 years old yet (it was barely 1 year old when the announcement was made IIRC).

Things like this really show just how far behind the pc that consoles remain.

GT5 is only a few years old and they're killing it already. Meanwhile, Unreal Tournament came out nearly 15 years ago and can still be fully played and enjoyed(and extra content can still be downloaded).

GT5 is only a few years old and they're killing it already. Meanwhile, Unreal Tournament came out nearly 15 years ago and can still be fully played and enjoyed(and extra content can still be downloaded).

While I do understand your point, it is not unheard of for PC games to have their servers shut down after a few years.  Only one I know of off-hand is Godfather 2 but there's more out there.

Still a shame to see them shut down the servers regardless.  I mean, it can't cost them that much to keep them going.  Then again, they probably just want to force people to move onto purchasing DLC for GT6.

this is a reason why gaming these days sucks. they tether you to their servers only to cut you off at the knees when they want to force you to upgrade to the latest titles.

one reason why Local hosting is important. then people can play by hosting or setting up a dedicated server.

http://eu.gran-turismo.com/us/news/00_4372104.html

As previously mentioned in past announcements, the remaining online services for Gran Turismo 5, including Online Lobby, Seasonal Events, Museum, News, Community, Remote Race, Log in Bonus, Online Dealership and DLC purchase, will no longer be available after 03:00 EDT, 30 May, 2014.

We would like to thank everyone for their passion in supporting Gran Turismo 5?s online services, and we look forward to providing even better online services for Gran Turismo 6.

Regarding DLC availability after end of service

All DLC for Gran Turismo 5 will be removed from the PS Store on 30 April 2014. Please take note of the following precautions regarding the items listed below.

"Racing Car Pack" and "Course Pack" (including those purchased as part of the "Complete Pack")

After you have purchased those items, please complete the following steps before the online services are terminated.

1. Select the Downloadable Content icon on the GT5 home screen and install the purchased items.

2. Access the PlayStation?Store from the XMB and enter the "Gran Turismo 5" section. Purchase the [Family Upgrade] for the items in question (free of charge).

By following the above 2 steps, you?ll be able to use the items even after the termination of the online services. If you delete the GT5 Game Data after the termination date of the online services , you?ll be able to download and install them again. You can find the instructions in the ?How to download the DLCs when you deleted the Game Data? section on this page.

You can find more details about the "Family Upgrade" item following the corresponding FAQ page in the Related Link section below.

"Paint Pack" and "Racing Gear Pack" (including those purchased as part of the "Complete Pack")

After you have purchased those items, select the Downloadable Content icon on the GT5 home screen and install the purchased items before the online services end.

You will be able to use the items even after the termination of the online services; however, you will NOT be able to install them again if you delete the GT5 Save Data after the online services end.

Any other DLC items

You can use the items even after the online services are terminated without any special operation. After you have purchased those items, select the Downloadable Content icon on the GT5 home screen and install the purchased items before the online services end. If you delete the GT5 Game Data after the termination date of the online services, you?ll be able to download and install them again. You can find the instructions in the ?How to download the DLCs when you deleted the Game Data? section on this page.

How to download the DLCs when you deleted the Game Data

In case you deleted the GT5 Game Data and the DLC is removed from the game, you can download them again from the [Download List], accessible in the PlayStation?Store or by selecting [PSN] > [Account Management] > [Transaction Management] from the PS3? XMB.

Regarding Gran Turismo TV

Distribution of all programs on Gran Turismo TV within Gran Turismo 5 will cease on 14 March 2014. The programs you have purchased will be available for viewing and downloading from [My List] during the availability period.

The services for Gran Turismo TV within Gran Turismo 5 will be terminated completely on 14 March 2015. All programs after this date will not be available except the opening and the ending movies.

This is pretty bad. :/

While I do understand your point, it is not unheard of for PC games to have their servers shut down after a few years.  Only one I know of off-hand is Godfather 2 but there's more out there.

Still a shame to see them shut down the servers regardless.  I mean, it can't cost them that much to keep them going.  Then again, they probably just want to force people to move onto purchasing DLC for GT6.

EA are probably the worst for it, they've killed a lot of games over the years, including IP which didn't have a sequel for people to upgrade to (NBA) :no:

Wow, this is the first that I've heard of this. Pretty bad, to be honest. I don't understand though why they're removing the DLC; isn't it hosted on Sony's Store servers? Is there a technical limitation that I'm not seeing here or is it purely to shift everyone from 5 onto 6?

it's just 1 game. Let's compare some of the PC titles with shut down servers over the years...there are tons with the most recent I'm aware of being the Cryengine 3 based Nexius. They even removed it from Steam and battle forge, littlest petshop..etc

it's just 1 game. Let's compare some of the PC titles with shut down servers over the years...there are tons with the most recent I'm aware of being the Cryengine 3 based Nexius. They even removed it from Steam and battle forge, littlest petshop..etc

They went bust IIRC. In most cases games are removed for legal reasons, including PSN/XBLA. Nexius was also MP only IIRC so if people bought it they wouldn't be able to play. Saves them dealing with refunds etc. Although if they made user hosted servers I'm sure it'd make people a little happier. Maybe too much work is involved to switch it though.

I can see why Sony would remove DLC if it was MP related as it won't be playable when they take the servers offline, but AFAIK you can use it in SP too.