Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Heartripper

Facebook Messenger Coming To Windows Phone Platform Within

15 posts in this topic

Windows Phone users hankering to get their hands on Facebook?s Messenger app don?t have much longer left to wait ? the instant messaging service will land on the Windows Phone store within ?weeks?, Microsoft?s Joe Belfiore said today.

Belfiore was speaking at Microsoft?s press & analyst event, taking place in Barcelona ahead of the Mobile World Congress tradeshow which kicks off tomorrow.

?We?ve been working with Facebook testing out their implementation for a while,? he said. ?It?s looking good and we will have it for our customers soon.?

Belfiore, the Windows Phone VP, argued that 2013 was a very good year for Microsoft?s mobile ecosystem, noting particularly growth in handset shipments in markets such as the U.K. and Italy, and also talking how the number of apps continues to grow ? mentioning the arrive of big name apps like Vine and Waze ? which he said has helped to improve the overall platform experience for users.

Another of the big name apps that finally arrived on Windows Phone last year was Instagram ? albeit, years later than it hit iOS.

The three updates that the Windows Phone platform received last year were ?mostly? focused on ?growing the general scale opportunity around the world?, said Belfiore. ?And with that has come a bunch of apps.?

There are now some 200,000+ apps on the Windows Phone store, according to Belfiore, with app downloads totalling 4 billion.

?There?s a number of more great apps coming soon,? he added. ?Stay tuned as you hear about more compelling demanded user apps coming for Windows Phone.?

http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/23/facebook-messenger-coming-to-windows-phone-platform-within-weeks/

Can't wait to get it. Integration with message hub never got me.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/02/23/facebook-messenger-coming-to-windows-phone-platform-within-weeks/

Can't wait to get it. Integration with message hub never got me.

What do you mean by it never got you?  My Facebook usage can be classified as "I have an account and that's it" but any time someone would message me I would get it immediately on the phone. 

What do you mean by it never got you?  My Facebook usage can be classified as "I have an account and that's it" but any time someone would message me I would get it immediately on the phone. 

The message hub does not support group chats and moreover messages you send from other devices don't appear in the conversation.

Hello,

What happen to the Windows version? I tried to look for it but

I don't use Facebook but this is good news for Windows Phone users.

Now if they'd just get the official F1 app before the season begins...

The message hub does not support group chats and moreover messages you send from other devices don't appear in the conversation.

OK, that makes sense.  I guess I'm such a light Facebook user I never noticed.

seriously don't care - everybody I know has shifted to WhatsApp over last 1 year or so. I have the chat enabled on my phone but haven't used in a while.

I would much rather see Skype messaging integrated into the messenger app much like iMessage is on the iPhone. That's probably the only thing I miss from my iPhone.

I don't understand the point. the FB app already has chat.

While the FB app does have chat it sounds like it's also missing a few things as well which the fb messenger app does support.

While the FB app does have chat it sounds like it's also missing a few things as well which the fb messenger app does support.

why not just build it straight into the existing app

why not just build it straight into the existing app

Because some people want to jump straight into messaging rather than launch the main app. That's why I use Facebook Messenger for Android. I save time by not having to launch the main app and press the inbox icon.

they can do that by making messaging a pinnable live tile. instead of creating two separate programs that you have to keep installed (if you want full chat functionality) and can't possibly access through a single tile.

1 person likes this

they can do that by making messaging a pinnable live tile. instead of creating two separate programs that you have to keep installed (if you want full chat functionality) and can't possibly access through a single tile.

That's a good idea actually but because Android/iOS lack that feature and facebook is too lazy to do anything decent for WP, they will be just making a clone here.

That's a good idea actually but because Android/iOS lack that feature and facebook is too lazy to do anything decent for WP, they will be just making a clone here.

You can already pin messaging tile from FB app.

1 person likes this